By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games That Should Go In A Different Direction?

sales2099 said:
Jrpgs going back to turn based and Pokémon actually being a challenge to beat.

JRPG is a broad term. They began as action RPGs anyway. Dragon Slayer and Ys are action RPGs. Wasn't until years later with Dragon Quest they borrowed from games like the western Ultima and became turn-based. Turn-based also has many forms. Xenoblade is. If you want the menus style then there is Octopath. SMT. Persona,Trails Series and many many many more.

=====================================================

More on topic. Some may hate this. Armored Core to be less sim and more arcade. Not full arcade but maybe closer to what Daemon X Machina is. It's still AC with less to worry about on build. Maybe for the first time From introduces difficulty options. Easy. Normal. Hard. Legendary.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:

A lot of times old games have been revived, but in a different direction than they were before, whether because of new technologies or because of changing markets.

Sometimes it's worked out for the best, like Fallout going from isometric RPG into open world FPS, or when Castlevania went from a side-scrolling action game to a Metroid-esque adventure (hence why we call them Metroidvanias).

After playing Starlink: Battle for Atlas on Switch, the presence of Star Fox assets in the Switch version made me think maybe Star Fox should be revived as a free-roaming space shooter, since there isn't as much as a market for rail shooters like the original Star Fox. Star Fox 2's uncancellation shows how well Star Fox can do as a much more open-ended space adventure.

What are some games, past or present, that you'd like to see go in a different direction, and why?

I been saying this since Adventures. But people hated that game so much.  The free-roam flying is what that game was missing and could have been the next evolution in the series.