By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The cloud streaming service Google Stadia launched in November 2019. How do you view its current chances for commercial success?

The cloud streaming service Google Stadia launched in November 2019. How do you view its current chances for commercial success?

Good 5 0.59%

It has potential 44 5.19%

Could go either way 48 5.66%

It's looking bleak now 299 35.26%

It's a non-starter 278 32.78%

Indifferent to the whole thing 174 20.52%

Total:848

Funny seeing so many people thinking they're savvy and discovering Google's evil ploy to undermine game ownership when game ownership is already dead right under their nose. They think they know what ownership means until they realize they never really had it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

In my opinion the concept of cloud gaming is cool and could potentially become big if done right for several reasons:
-No downloads or updates(one of the biggest complaints this recent gen)
-Seamlessly jump into a game from any internet connected device
-Have the same console experience from anywhere with no graphical compromises
-Not needing to purchase expensive hardware

However, as someone who tried a Free Month of Stadia there's just really isn't anything attractive enough about the service to warrant playing your games on it or paying 10$ a month.

I tried playing Destiny 2 on my laptop & smartphone with Stadia. It was so laggy and unplayable on my laptop, but on my smartphone it actually ran quite smoothly for the most part & was more than playable and I'm not gonna lie seeing something as big & visually intensive as Destiny 2 on a smartphone was pretty amazing.

However I'm still reluctant to use Stadia for several reasons. For one thing is that while you could technically get Stadia for free now, you realize that there are far more hidden costs that just don't make it worth getting or using as your main platform. First to play your games in a competent way you're gonna need a controller, where a Stadia controller costs 70$, you could use other controller options like Xbox or PS controllers for Stadia or a mouse & keypad, but chances are if you have a PS/Xbox controller, you have a PS4/Xbox, consoles that have far more games with far better game deals with way more free games than Stadia, making Stadia essentially useless if you're a PS4/Xbox owner, which is the VAST MAJORITY of people in 2020 with combined sales of 160M. However, let's say a casual gamer who doesn't own a PS4/Xbox or PC & wants to get into gaming affordably, they're gonna need to pay 70$ for a Stadia controller, and if they want to play on the TV they're gonna need to pay another 35$ for a Chromecast Ultra, adding to 105$. 105$ is still cheaper compared to Xbox & PS, however Stadia games at this point tend to be far more expensive than the other consoles so eventually the costs will add up to the price of a PS4. Plus even just a 70$ controller for this Stadia service isn't even worth it at this point, you're paying 100$+ to play on a platform with an extremely small community that barely has any games and exclusive content that isn't even guaranteed to work depending on your internet connection. Imagine if Sony released a PS5 where a good portion of them don't even work properly, that's essentially Stadia rn. Plus some Stadia's main "advantages" such as little loading times will be completely void once next gen systems release with SSD's that'll almost eliminate long loading times all together. I wouldn't recommend getting this service either cause Google is known to drop their some of their products & services like hot turds when they see it's failing, like Google+, and all your games will disappear since you won't own them & developers could at anytime remove their games from Stadia like what they've been doing with NVIDIA Ge-force now.

Could Stadia comeback? IMO I honestly have little faith it could, I feel like XCloud will murder Stadia in whatever it has to offer and has far more value and Xbox has a more trustworthy name than Stadia, I don't see the mass market wanting to choose Stadia over PS/Xbox in the future. But if Stadia wants to comeback, it's obviously gonna need t completely iron out all lag issues some people may have, get FULL 3rd Party Support, get more exclusive content, & have a more competitive price point for consumers to be willing to try it out.

It hadnt launch im my country, never tested.
Yep, i kinda find the business model very strange. Id be more likely to invest on it if was like netflix or gamepass.
Ive considered paying the ubisoft pass monthly for getting access to their games and playing on stadia. This way would be like netflix or gamepass.
However, the library is very lackluster. It is the main problem of stadia. They should have partned with steam or epic games, idk...

I'd say it's too quick to call it dead. I think Google did it a huge disservice marketing the way they did. It obviously launched in a ****ing alpha stage (not even beta) and they expected people to pay for it like it was a finished and refined service. Stupid. They should have released it under the idea that it was an alpha, tested it, debugged it, then 6 months down the road, moved it into beta and grew excitement from those growing with it, capping off a year or so (depending on how it went) with a full release and treated it like a service people could jump into with VERY little buy in and as it became something with a base, then start introducing premium features at a cost. As it is, they've got their pants down, and no ones trust.

For me they are on the wait to closure and for me the best distribution model is physical mainly at second hand pricing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Barkley said:

They screwed up. Game performance was worse than it should be this service should have rivalled next-gen in performance with zero upfront costs. Instead the performance in some areas failed to match Xbox One X.

Any hype was also killed by them destroying their one advantage (no hardware costs) by having the stupid founders edition (£129) be the only way to use the service for the first 6-8 months.

It's not impossible for the service to make a comeback, but they really messed up the launch big time. Should have waited a year.

This seems about right to me.  They rushed it.  I've noticed that MS has stopped talking about XCloud being right around the corner.  They saw what happened with Stadia, and realized that streaming ain't gonna work until its better than that.  So, we could say that's a possible silver lining.

As for game ownership.....  I don't see Stadia as any different than any other digital game purchase.  Lots of games require you to be online to play.  So, as soon as they stop supporting that, the game becomes unplayable.  No different than Stadia, really.  Personally, I prefer physical media so that I can resell my games.  But, as I get older, the convenience of digital is becoming more appealing. Stadia strikes me as even more convenient (no waiting for download), and about the same in terms of really owning the game.  

It's looking bleak. I didn't think Stadia had much promise, anyway. But there's little hope to turn it around.

Game ownership is interesting. There's basically a bunch of DRM. Physical games you don't fully own usually anyway in the last generation or so. And just because you buy a game on one platform doesn't mean you own it in perpetuity on all future platforms. It's a license you own to play the game on its particular platform.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

People want the Netflix approach for this. First company that does that with enough good games to play is going to make a lot of money.

Probably Microsoft, if they can combine xCloud with GamePass titles ... they're in business.

Netflix would not be popular if you had to pay $20 for every movie or season of TV show you watched, this type of service will not work with the traditional pricing model. 

I voted "it's looking bleak". Poll needed more virulent options.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I don’t see any success for this at all, like most of us, I keep forgetting it even exists until I see an article or discussion, then a split second after reading one it’s already forgotten.