By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Probably not gonna have kids/my own family and trying to make peace with that

Have kids, or don't. It doesn't matter if they get autism, they deserve a life too. And if you truly wanted a kid, their ailments won't matter to you either. All kids will have problems that need to be solved.

I desired to have kids before 30, but it looks like it won't happen. Next goal: have kids before I am 31.

Around the Network
Farsala said:

I desired to have kids before 30, but it looks like it won't happen. Next goal: have kids before I am 31.

I came from a family of six.  My parents had those kids between the ages of 23 and 31.  I always figured I'd have a few kids in my twenties as well.  That's what I wanted.  But, I have only one infant child, and my 40th birthday is next month. 

A few years ago, I was starting to think maybe it wouldn't happen for me.  My last serious relationship (prior to my marriage) ended in 2010, when I was 30.  I went a few years without one.  I never gave up, but I figured there was a real chance that I just wasn't going to meet a woman to spend my life with, have kids with, etc. But, I eventually did meet that person. Then we weren't able to get pregnant for two years, so the thoughts of no kids kicked up again.  Eventually, that happened too.  In other words, my life didn't go according to plan, but it still worked out great. 

The same can happen for anyone, so long as you continue to stay open to the possibilities.  So, don't give up on the idea of a family if that is what you want.  You might be 50 before you get started, but it can still be just as great.  Or, maybe you'll meet the woman tomorrow.  

VAMatt said:
Farsala said:

I came from a family of six.  My parents had those kids between the ages of 23 and 31.  I always figured I'd have a few kids in my twenties as well.  That's what I wanted.  But, I have only one infant child, and my 40th birthday is next month. 

A few years ago, I was starting to think maybe it wouldn't happen for me.  My last serious relationship (prior to my marriage) ended in 2010, when I was 30.  I went a few years without one.  I never gave up, but I figured there was a real chance that I just wasn't going to meet a woman to spend my life with, have kids with, etc. But, I eventually did meet that person. Then we weren't able to get pregnant for two years, so the thoughts of no kids kicked up again.  Eventually, that happened too.  In other words, my life didn't go according to plan, but it still worked out great. 

The same can happen for anyone, so long as you continue to stay open to the possibilities.  So, don't give up on the idea of a family if that is what you want.  You might be 50 before you get started, but it can still be just as great.  Or, maybe you'll meet the woman tomorrow.  

My father had his first kid at 23, and just now had a kid at 53. I plan on living to be 100, but I want to see my kids grow up to be at least 30s or 40, so that is my main desire for having kids early. I also want many kids, but I don't want one when I am old and might die before they can support themselves. So while the hope for children is still strong, it is the still healthy me part that isn't going as strong, the older I get. It is just my responsibility to be as healthy as I can I suppose.

Edit: And I am sure you are well aware by now, but one reason it could have been so difficult to have a child is due to decreased fertility with age. Not only that but as the quality of the sperm decreases with age, the more likely a weaker sperm meets the egg and birth defects or worse happen. I wish I was rich enough to freeze my sperm, so that it is less risky in the future for my partner.

Last edited by Farsala - on 23 June 2020

Farsala said:
VAMatt said:

My father had his first kid at 23, and just now had a kid at 53. I plan on living to be 100, but I want to see my kids grow up to be at least 30s or 40, so that is my main desire for having kids early. I also want many kids, but I don't want one when I am old and might die before they can support themselves. So while the hope for children is still strong, it is the still healthy me part that isn't going as strong, the older I get. It is just my responsibility to be as healthy as I can I suppose.

Edit: And I am sure you are well aware by now, but one reason it could have been so difficult to have a child is due to decreased fertility with age. Not only that but as the quality of the sperm decreases with age, the more likely a weaker sperm meets the egg and birth defects or worse happen. I wish I was rich enough to freeze my sperm, so that it is less risky in the future for my partner.

Well, it is 2020, and there are many ways to "have" a child.  There are lots of options, so the door never really closes unless we shut it.  

curl-6 said:

Thanks for the responses, advice, and encouragement everyone, sorry to go all DairyChartz on you, I should know better by now than to post when I'm feeling down but I guess that's one aspect of what I mean when I say I don't feel like I've matured, despite my best efforts I'm still quite impulsive and have trouble controlling my emotions. I all too often say or post things in an outburst of anger, sadness, or excitement instead of thinking it through.

Feeling a bit better today though.

mysteryman said:
Do you have family/friends with children?

If raising you own full time isn't an option, it can be very fulfilling to be involved in the development of those close to you.

I actually work with kids as a career, I'm a mentor for children with autism. In that capacity I work in both classrooms and support groups as well as on camps, events, and such. And it is indeed very rewarding. I guess I just still have that biological urge to pass my genes on.

That's awesome stuff :) Definitely not an easy job.

Focusing on yourself is a good way to find someone ironically. Once you take that pressure off yourself, stop beating yourself up about it, and just spend some time doing what you like and things to improve yourself, you'll be in a better position to draw someone into your own happiness.

Doing activities/hobbies you enjoy with groups is really helpful too. You'll be around people that share some interests with you, which also helps as a natural icebreaker. My cousin ended up meeting meeting his wife at Swordcraft :)

Around the Network

Don't worry about it too much. I'm almost 38 and still haven't started. Just got out of 10+ year relationship that was going nowhere. I already have my eye on a few female co-workers. I'm hoping to least start having a family in a few years. I figure if by low 40s then no big deal. I just need to find someone in high 20s/low 30s.

I just stop here after almost 2 years without posting with my bad english :p !

I was like you OP, and when i got 40, i finnaly have meet a perfect girl for me, now i'm 43 and we have a 2years baby girl, i have meet her while traveling in asia and now live in her country !

Do not plan in advance you never know what will happening in Futur !

P.S. I have so much personal problem, before i meet my wife i was very shy & having heavy social anxiety, i have a small schiziophrenia too but in check with medicine. Now i feels good in my life even i play much less and not posting anymore on any forum for make better use of my time with my wife & baby, wish you the best !

Meeting the right person is almost 100% luck. There's a reason so many divorces take place. But if that's your end game, you're going to need to put yourself in a position to get there which means involving yourself in social situations.

Otherwise, get a dog and enjoy working on self-improvement and just enjoy life.

Well, since this thread turned out much better than expected, I might as well admit that this is the most relatable post I've ever seen on this site. It's brave that you were able to say this kinda stuff in front of others when I couldn't even make a reply earlier. And to top it off the replies are cool (well, except one of them, but the rest are good) !

Hiku said:
Immersiveunreality said:

It's a dilemma to kinda want kids but know you are not the right kinda person to be having them so the most selfless decision is to give up on that dream and not have them,kinda goes against human instinct and against expectations of others close to you.

I hope he learns how to make more ''space'' to be able to deal with a normal/semi normal permanent relation with preferable someone with the same mindset,it is hard to give decent advice on the internet sadly.

My reasons for not wanting children are (probably) mainly different.
But I'm also considering what kind of world they'd be brought into. Which is a bit similar to his concern.

When there are (not uncommonly) people who would deliberately cough in the face of someone that may be immune compromised during a pandemic because that person had the 'nerve' to protect themselves and others from infection, when I feel like there shouldn't even be a single person like that on the planet, it's one of the many many other reasons that makes me think twice.

Though my primary reasons are more personal. I have no desire to have children for starters.

I have a friend that grew up in central Africa as the son of the headchief of a certain tribe, his dad had 7 wives and 40+ children and most still needed to flee war and poverty.The guy really takes it serious that i do not have children yet and he always intertwines his religion partly + a dose of traditionalism because in many regions in africa you need children as some sort of protection for when you get old and get almost no income so its a part of culture there(and insurance).

He does not really get that it is not needed to do that here but in the end i do ofcourse appreciate his concern for me.

It is hard to describe but i always had some sort of father instinct over the younger members in my family and i would protect them at any cost but as much as that same instinct gives myself an urge to have kids,i just need to apply logic to that reasoning and that is what makes me take a step back.

Bolded:Yes never commit to something so important if you think you are not ready for it or when it goes again principles,and the reasoning from the rest of your comment seems pretty thoughtfull. 

Last edited by Immersiveunreality - on 23 June 2020