By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (SPOILER ALERT) Free discussion of TLOU2 with story included

Tagged games:

How do you rate TLOU2 story

1 8 14.55%

2 1 1.82%

3 5 9.09%

4 3 5.45%

5 5 9.09%

6 7 12.73%

7 4 7.27%

8 4 7.27%

9 7 12.73%

10 11 20.00%

Total:55
iron_megalith said:

hinch said:

Well, as with any medium, its all subjective.

Its a well put together game and got high critic reviews because of it. Most major gaming reviewers have liked it and have not let issues get in the way of their enjoyment. If you didn't well that's fine as well, sell the game and move on lol Wish I could do the same thing at the Cinema at some of the shit movies I've seen.

The reason I brought up Pewds earlier is because he was one of the big streamers that never indulged in any spoilers and is known to be a fan of the first game. So it was interesting to see him go in blind through the whole thing.

You can't really fault fans to place some sort of expectations on the sequel and hold it to a specific standard. Before the leaks came to be, fans were expecting this to be continuation of Joel and Ellie's story. But that's not what really happened and you are forced to play a character that you are not invested in.

That's the reason why I think this would have been much better if Abby had her own game first to ease in this story. Kinda like Lost Legacy. It is its own thing that's within the same universe which can connect to Joel and Ellie's story.gc

I can understand the dislike for people who were fans of the first game. But if you go by the trailers we knew the basis on what the story was about. It was revenge. We get to play as Ellie for around 2/3rds of a game clocking at around 20 hours. And a side story that intertwines from the first game that is the basis of this game. It wouldn't make sense to sideline this as its integral to the story.

I guess we all had different expectations. I actually liked playing as Abbey/Lev duo a lot more as it made the game more fresh. And I really liked playing as Joel and Ellie in the first game. Playing another character didn't have an impact on my personal opinion of the game. Each to their own I guess.

Around the Network
iron_megalith said:
hinch said:

Maybe because the flaws aren't as big as some people make it out to be. If a game is enjoyable and is entertaining then it shouldn't matter. I could point in glaring plot holes in my favourite games and movies but as long as it doesn't distract then all is kosher.

Not according to a lot of people. And then there's this disconnect again that we've seen in with the likes of Joker, TLJ etc where there are lot of generalizing going on from both sides.

But it does make me curious how reviewers really approach this and why is there such a huge disparity between players and critics. They shat on The Joker so hard parotting things that the film gives power to incel terrorists yet the majority of the people were able to connect with the character. With this game, a lot of people are having a really hard time with approaching Abby, yet a lot of the critics didn't seem to get this problem or have never even mentioned it. It's like those group of people forgot that a lot of the fans were attached with Joel and Ellie.

Seriously, If I hadn't seen any leaks of this game I personally would have felt that the whole game has been taken as a hostage from me. You want the ending? You play a lot of Abby. Thank you for your $60 sir.

I`ll just say that people that couldn`t understand Abby killing Joel and because of that hated playing as her just lack imagination. You played the whole first game, you know that Joel have killed a lot of people, you have Ellie saying that is useless to speculate who could have killed him (group) as he have crossed to many people and groups. And it ended up being the most obvious group that wanted revenge.

My qualm with Abby isn`t she taking revenge on Joel but being dumb to let Ellie, Tommy and co alive to also revenge on her and the total lack of planning capability (she just wanted to invade Jackson and see how things would play out). But playing with her was better than with Ellie most of time, even more for people that hated the love bird talk between Ellie and Dina.

John2290 said:

Chapter select is an annoying mess with a two minute load time and no consistant save file so my streak of platinuming Sony's heavy hitters ends here. Shame.

Man you must have not seem the tip I gave you.

To platinum you`ll need almost 2 gamethroughs because to max both Ellie and Abby and weapons you need to finish Ellie side and then a little on Abby to have all the parts and pills. Also you need to keep a manual save file from the finished game so you can load any chapter you wish (you have to first load the manual ending and then chose the chapter, or you could go backwards on chapter select so you don`t block any chapter). But I agree it was very badly done.

They should have kept the Uncharted way, all collectibles are always show for you on your in game menu and the quantity per chapter (not day) available on main menu. Much easier to track things down. Luckly I got 90% of collectibles on the first play, so on the second one I`m using guide to pick all of Ellies on the mandatory part and then after I get Abby maxed I`ll look what I`m missing and then hand pick chapter (or just finish second play).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

hinch said:
iron_megalith said:

The reason I brought up Pewds earlier is because he was one of the big streamers that never indulged in any spoilers and is known to be a fan of the first game. So it was interesting to see him go in blind through the whole thing.

You can't really fault fans to place some sort of expectations on the sequel and hold it to a specific standard. Before the leaks came to be, fans were expecting this to be continuation of Joel and Ellie's story. But that's not what really happened and you are forced to play a character that you are not invested in.

That's the reason why I think this would have been much better if Abby had her own game first to ease in this story. Kinda like Lost Legacy. It is its own thing that's within the same universe which can connect to Joel and Ellie's story.gc

I can understand the dislike for people who were fans of the first game. But if you go by the trailers we knew the basis on what the story was about. It was revenge. We get to play as Ellie for around 2/3rds of a game clocking at around 20 hours. And a side story that intertwines from the first game that is the basis of this game. It wouldn't make sense to sideline this as its integral to the story.

I guess we all had different expectations. I actually liked playing as Abbey/Lev duo a lot more as it made the game more fresh. And I really liked playing as Joel and Ellie in the first game. Playing another character didn't have an impact on my personal opinion of the game. Each to their own I guess.

Yes it was clear about the story focusing on revenge. But the themes weren't really the problem.

I enjoyed Abby's portion to a certain degree but it was the most challenging thing to do. And that challenge by all means is meant as a complement. As echoed by a lot of fans, the game really forces you to do things you really don't want to do.

John2290 said:
DonFerrari said:

I`ll just say that people that couldn`t understand Abby killing Joel and because of that hated playing as her just lack imagination. You played the whole first game, you know that Joel have killed a lot of people, you have Ellie saying that is useless to speculate who could have killed him (group) as he have crossed to many people and groups. And it ended up being the most obvious group that wanted revenge.

My qualm with Abby isn`t she taking revenge on Joel but being dumb to let Ellie, Tommy and co alive to also revenge on her and the total lack of planning capability (she just wanted to invade Jackson and see how things would play out). But playing with her was better than with Ellie most of time, even more for people that hated the love bird talk between Ellie and Dina.

To platinum you`ll need almost 2 gamethroughs because to max both Ellie and Abby and weapons you need to finish Ellie side and then a little on Abby to have all the parts and pills. Also you need to keep a manual save file from the finished game so you can load any chapter you wish (you have to first load the manual ending and then chose the chapter, or you could go backwards on chapter select so you don`t block any chapter). But I agree it was very badly done.

They should have kept the Uncharted way, all collectibles are always show for you on your in game menu and the quantity per chapter (not day) available on main menu. Much easier to track things down. Luckly I got 90% of collectibles on the first play, so on the second one I`m using guide to pick all of Ellies on the mandatory part and then after I get Abby maxed I`ll look what I`m missing and then hand pick chapter (or just finish second play).

Aside from having no consitant save file so all collectibles are on the map again in chapter selct, It's just annoying that you have to choose chapter select, hit all these options load for two minutes get your shit done, load manuel save rinse and repeat and yeah. I forgot about maxing all the player upgrades so I wouldn't have done it anyway. Eh, at least this way, if they release a directors cut I'll have a reason to play it and with the backlash, I have to assume they will release the cut in a patch. They know what's up. 

Understood, no denying it is a mess.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
iron_megalith said:

If only majority weren't dismissive about the flaws and didn't use the bigot card, bots or whatever so hard on people criticizing them for the perfect score.

I've seen people give it fair reviews. Someone just posted Jim Sterling's review which approched the thing objectively. He talked about the positives of the game and at the same time talked about the flaws.

So again, everyone that likes the game or think it is the best game of the gen is wrong and isn`t credible, the only credible ones are the ones that are giving jabs at the game, gotcha. Thanks for confirming.

You can twist it like that. But for a game that's been showered with 10/10s and 9/10s it better be a masterpiece or close to one. Clearly it isn't according to the huge divide. There are things that are fundamentally broken in this game.

And also are you saying Jim Sterling's review wasn't a fair one?

Last edited by iron_megalith - on 27 June 2020

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
iron_megalith said:

Not according to a lot of people. And then there's this disconnect again that we've seen in with the likes of Joker, TLJ etc where there are lot of generalizing going on from both sides.

But it does make me curious how reviewers really approach this and why is there such a huge disparity between players and critics. They shat on The Joker so hard parotting things that the film gives power to incel terrorists yet the majority of the people were able to connect with the character. With this game, a lot of people are having a really hard time with approaching Abby, yet a lot of the critics didn't seem to get this problem or have never even mentioned it. It's like those group of people forgot that a lot of the fans were attached with Joel and Ellie.

Seriously, If I hadn't seen any leaks of this game I personally would have felt that the whole game has been taken as a hostage from me. You want the ending? You play a lot of Abby. Thank you for your $60 sir.

John2290 said:

Chapter select is an annoying mess with a two minute load time and no consistant save file so my streak of platinuming Sony's heavy hitters ends here. Shame.

Just look around. Those who disliked Joel's death weren't against Joel getting killed. It maked sense for him to die. His whole character is drenched in sin. The outrage lies on several underlying reasons. Mainly it has something to do with the writing and the execution. I don't want to repost the whole argument I had with another poster here.

Last edited by iron_megalith - on 27 June 2020

iron_megalith said:
DonFerrari said:

So again, everyone that likes the game or think it is the best game of the gen is wrong and isn`t credible, the only credible ones are the ones that are giving jabs at the game, gotcha. Thanks for confirming.

You can twist it like that. But for a game that's been showered with 10/10s and 9/10s it better be a masterpiece or close to one. Clearly it isn't according to the huge divide. There are things that are fundamentally broken in this game.

Several masterpieces divide opinions, I would even say that the most well know will have a huge divise between people. And on the critics there is not that much division, so that is probably why you are piking specific cases where people are very vocal against the game.

I dunno if Jim's review is fair, but I will give him the benefit of doubt. Still you didn't bother with the 90 or so positive reviews did you?

iron_megalith said:
DonFerrari said:

They should have kept the Uncharted way, all collectibles are always show for you on your in game menu and the quantity per chapter (not day) available on main menu. Much easier to track things down. Luckly I got 90% of collectibles on the first play, so on the second one I`m using guide to pick all of Ellies on the mandatory part and then after I get Abby maxed I`ll look what I`m missing and then hand pick chapter (or just finish second play)

Just look around. Those who disliked Joel's death weren't against Joel getting killed. It maked sense for him to die. His whole character is drenched in sin. The outrage lies on several underlying reasons. Mainly it has something to do with the writing and the execution. I don't want to repost the whole argument I had with another poster here.

There really wasn't a flaw on it except nitpicking on how it was conducted, motive was there, means where there. Abby lucked out to meet him on a position that allowed her to find him. Could ND have dragged that for 5h until she found him? Yes, but that wouldn't really change much, just would please people that need everything detailed but possibly would displease people that wouldn't want the game going for 40+ h per play.

DonFerrari said:
iron_megalith said:

Several masterpieces divide opinions, I would even say that the most well know will have a huge divise between people. And on the critics there is not that much division, so that is probably why you are piking specific cases where people are very vocal against the game.

I dunno if Jim's review is fair, but I will give him the benefit of doubt. Still you didn't bother with the 90 or so positive reviews did you?

iron_megalith said:

There really wasn't a flaw on it except nitpicking on how it was conducted, motive was there, means where there. Abby lucked out to meet him on a position that allowed her to find him. Could ND have dragged that for 5h until she found him? Yes, but that wouldn't really change much, just would please people that need everything detailed but possibly would displease people that wouldn't want the game going for 40+ h per play.

I'm tired of debating this thing. If people are really fine with the contrived story telling in this game, then more power to them. However if you are going to be make an argument that the writing in this story is on par with TLOU1, you need to approach it objectively and say why it is so.

But it seems to me that people are taking my criticism of this game as me telling to stop enjoying the thing. You be you. My point still stands. We were forced to accept the changes on some characters without having anything to show how and why it changed from where TLOU1 left off.

And if you are going to ask me why I think the credibility of the reviewers are shot, it's simply that a lot of them seem to have failed to reflect what a lot of people are complaining about. I get that these people have their own opinions, but do understand that they are not just a random reviewer. These people are paid to do this thing and are used as a metric for marketing the game. Whatever they publish here can affect purchasing decisions of the consumer. If they failed to resonate with what the people(fans) may have issues with about this game then what is the point of having them considered as "top critic"? They're writing for a different audience that would potentially be on the minority.

Like I said, if I didn't read the spoilers, I wouldn't know I will be playing Abby for a long period of time. Given the circumstance of what has happened, the whole game is taken as a hostage. To a lot of people, it can be a drag.

Last edited by iron_megalith - on 28 June 2020

iron_megalith said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm tired of debating this thing. If people are really fine with the contrived story telling in this game, then more power to them. But it seems to me that people are taking my criticism of this game as me telling to stop enjoying the thing. You be you. My point still stands. We were forced to accept the changes on some characters without having anything to show how and why it changed from TLOU1.

And if you are going to ask me why I think the credibility of the reviewers are shot, it's simply that a lot of them seem to have failed to reflect what a lot of people are complaining about. I get that these people have their own opinions, but do understand that they are not just a random reviewer. These people are paid to do this thing and are used as a metric for marketing. Whatever they publish here can affect purchasing decisions of the consumer. If they failed to resonate with what people may have issues with then what is the point of having them considered as "top critic"? They're writing for a different audience that would potentially be on the minority.

Well if I remember right you thought it was out of character that Joel and Tommy would follow Abby back to her crew. But remember it wasnt just her asking and them going along. They were being chased by many infected. They could have just left Abby to die and went back to their own town I guess, but that seems a bit cruel.

iron_megalith said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm tired of debating this thing. If people are really fine with the contrived story telling in this game, then more power to them. However if you are going to be make an argument that the writing in this story is on par with TLOU1, you need to approach it objectively and say why it is so.

But it seems to me that people are taking my criticism of this game as me telling to stop enjoying the thing. You be you. My point still stands. We were forced to accept the changes on some characters without having anything to show how and why it changed from where TLOU1 left off.

And if you are going to ask me why I think the credibility of the reviewers are shot, it's simply that a lot of them seem to have failed to reflect what a lot of people are complaining about. I get that these people have their own opinions, but do understand that they are not just a random reviewer. These people are paid to do this thing and are used as a metric for marketing the game. Whatever they publish here can affect purchasing decisions of the consumer. If they failed to resonate with what the people(fans) may have issues with about this game then what is the point of having them considered as "top critic"? They're writing for a different audience that would potentially be on the minority.

Like I said, if I didn't read the spoilers, I wouldn't know I will be playing Abby for a long period of time. Given the circumstance of what has happened, the whole game is taken as a hostage. To a lot of people, it can be a drag.

So drop from the debate.

There really isn't anything contrived about the story, if you didn't understand it from reading leaks or watching YT that doesn't mean it is hard or contrived.

And you already show your hand and agreed that you are only giving credibility to the ones that agree with your opinion. Considering 4M sales on first week, 95 on MC and 4 to 4.5 star on PSN even with some fans being despised show that you are going for minority opinion being the only one that is valid while putting everyone else as wrong "because they don't agree with the ones that don't like the game".