By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best N64 game not made by Nintendo or Rare?

I think the best is...

Turok 3 8.82%

Turok 2 5 14.71%

Resident Evil 2 4 11.76%

Rogue Squadron 7 20.59%

Doom 64 2 5.88%

Ogre Battle 1 2.94%

Beetle Adventure Racing 1 2.94%

Rayman 2 3 8.82%

Wrestlemania 2000 0 0%

Other 8 23.53%

Total:34

Glover

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

My favorite is Rayman 2. But ISS 64, Beetle Adventure Racing, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, San Francisco Rush and The World is not Enough would also be on my list.

PSN: avanzo85

Switch Friend Code: SW-0301-4529-7712

Poll added based on some of the most popular choices.

Also, for the purpose of this thread, it's "not made by Nintendo or Rare" so whatever "counts as second party" or not isn't relevant.

For me I'm going to say Extreme-G.

Turok made by iguana or something. Which later became retro studios. The fact that Nintendo made their company a first part dev is all the proof you need that Turok was the best outside developer on n64!

Around the Network

It's hard for me to narrow it down to 1 so which is why I've chosen "Other" above. I've not seen anyone mention it but one of my favourite gems on the system was Space Station Silicon Valley. Really wacky, fun and original game that I think is criminally underrated. It had technical issues with glitches and not great performance in general but the gameplay was great.

My other picks would be Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, its sequel and as flawed as it was I loved Bomberman 64 just for multiplayer. Oh and Turok Rage Wars was another great multiplayer game which got mediocre reviews mainly because the single player was limited (it was all about the multiplayer though).

Out of the choices listed above I would have to go with Rogue Squadron.

Almost all of my games for the N64 were either Nintendo or Rare. I guess I would need to default to Gauntlet Legends.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

For me, Doom 64. I like that it's a new game rather than just another port, it lives up to the pedigree of its legendary predecessors, and unlike most 3D games of that generation, performance is rock solid. (Which I especially appreciated as someone who played Doom 1 on the SNES at 15fps, lulz)

Honourable mentions go to Turok 1 and 2 for their awesome weaponry and feeling so ahead of their time. You can see in both the seeds of Metroid Prime which a lot of the same people would go on to make.

I'd probably go with Rogue Squadron but Beetle Adventure Racing is close and it had no votes so I went with that in the poll. Mischief Makers gets an honorable mention just for the boss battles.

Last edited by archbrix - on 19 June 2020

Oh, I almost forgot: Snowboard Kids 1 & 2, I remember having tons of fun with that one when I was a kid. Actually liked them more than Mario Kart 64.