By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best N64 game not made by Nintendo or Rare?

I think the best is...

Turok 3 8.82%

Turok 2 5 14.71%

Resident Evil 2 4 11.76%

Rogue Squadron 7 20.59%

Doom 64 2 5.88%

Ogre Battle 1 2.94%

Beetle Adventure Racing 1 2.94%

Rayman 2 3 8.82%

Wrestlemania 2000 0 0%

Other 8 23.53%

Total:34

Rayman 2 for me.

Around the Network

Turok 2 easy. Such a ambitious game for its time. Weapons, enemy AI, death animations, level design.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

NightlyPoe said:
Jumpin said:

Then by your definition, since Rare was technically independent, they’re not a second party dev either, and so your previous post is invalidated.

You’re even more invalidated by the fact that Rogue Squadron was published by Nintendo and Diddy Kong Racing was not.

I'm not sure what definition I gave, or how a company that Nintendo owned 49% of wouldn't qualify.  But, this was well known 20 years ago.  Here's a couple articles I googled in two seconds.

Nintendo World Report: March 3, 2001

Is Factor 5 a Nintendo Second-Party Developer?

Nope. Surprisingly, Factor 5 is not among the ranks of Nintendo's numerous second-party developers. Despite close ties to Nintendo, Factor 5 enjoys its independence as a third-party developer. It is also believed that becoming a second-party might conflict with Factor 5's partnership with LucasArts. Second-party or no, Factor 5's assistance & support is certainly appreciated by Nintendo.

Gamespot: April 15, 2004

Even though Factor 5 was technically not a second-party developer, the studio was perceived as such. "We've never been a Nintendo shop," President Julian Eggebrecht told GameSpot.

You don't recall what definition you gave? Funny considering I directly referenced it in my post. But let me refresh you: "They worked closely with Nintendo developing games and middleware in that era to the point that 2nd party lists often included them as an honorary member, but were always independent."

Second-party devs are just a colloquial term used to define third parties that develop exclusively for a console, it's not actually a real thing; technically speaking, all second party devs are actually third party devs. But Factor 5 was exclusive to Nintendo consoles during most of the N64 generation, GBC, GBA, and early Gamecube generation. While it's accurate to say "we've never been a Nintendo shop" that wouldn't necessarily be untrue about other second party devs either.

While Nintendo owned 49% of Rare, the control was still with the Stampers who owned 51% of the company. Technically, Rare could have quit developing games for Nintendo at any time, that's why Microsoft was able to cancel their exclusivity to Nintendo when the Stampers sold the 51% to them and forcing Nintendo's hand to sell off the remaining 49%.  contracts allowing - similar to what DMA did after they completed the development of Space Station Silicon Valley and Body Harvest.

And if you're going to complain about someone listing Diddy Kong Racing, then it's hypocritical to pick Rogue Squadron, especially considering it's published by Nintendo while Diddy Kong Racing is not. Rogue Squadron is a first party published game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Rogue Squadron for me too.

Roque squadron for me as well. After that, Turok 2 (would have been higher if the N64 would able te run it smoothly )and maybe cruisin world. That game wasn't good, but it was fun :) Pretty sick that almost all good games came from Nintendo or Rare. I think Excitebike 64 got really good reviews, but I never played it, so can't pick that one

Around the Network

Ogre Battle 64 bar none.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Jumpin said:
NightlyPoe said:

Incorrect.  Factor 5 was never a 2nd party developer.  They worked closely with Nintendo developing games and middleware in that era to the point that 2nd party lists often included them as an honorary member, but were always independent

Then by your definition, since Rare was technically independent, they’re not a second party dev either, and so your previous post is invalidated.

You’re even more invalidated by the fact that Rogue Squadron was published by Nintendo and Diddy Kong Racing was not.

Only the EU version was published by Nintendo, instead of LucasArts in NA, similarly to how Nintendo sometimes publishes games from Japanese developers, like Octopath Traveler, in the EU now.

Going on a unpopular opinion here and say Hybrid Heaven.. It was an amazing game.
1st time playing it, i hated the first hour of the game. When the game opened up, it became instantly one of my favourite games of that generation.

Last edited by Bonzinga - on 16 June 2020

Pemalite said:

For me? The Turok games.

Turok: The Dinosaur hunter was a visual feast back in the day... Then following that up in Turok 2 with solid multiplayer... The Cerebral Bore sealed the deal.
Loved those games so much, even got the physical copies on Switch.

1UP

Same. I got the physical games on Switch, the special edition ones with the N64 Carts. 

Only downside is they look so great not sure I will open them lol.

NightlyPoe said:
Jumpin said:

You don't recall what definition you gave? Funny considering I directly referenced it in my post. But let me refresh you: "They worked closely with Nintendo developing games and middleware in that era to the point that 2nd party lists often included them as an honorary member, but were always independent."

Second-party devs are just a colloquial term used to define third parties that develop exclusively for a console, it's not actually a real thing; technically speaking, all second party devs are actually third party devs. But Factor 5 was exclusive to Nintendo consoles during most of the N64 generation, GBC, GBA, and early Gamecube generation. While it's accurate to say "we've never been a Nintendo shop" that wouldn't necessarily be untrue about other second party devs either.

While Nintendo owned 49% of Rare, the control was still with the Stampers who owned 51% of the company. Technically, Rare could have quit developing games for Nintendo at any time, that's why Microsoft was able to cancel their exclusivity to Nintendo when the Stampers sold the 51% to them and forcing Nintendo's hand to sell off the remaining 49%.  contracts allowing - similar to what DMA did after they completed the development of Space Station Silicon Valley and Body Harvest.

And if you're going to complain about someone listing Diddy Kong Racing, then it's hypocritical to pick Rogue Squadron, especially considering it's published by Nintendo while Diddy Kong Racing is not. Rogue Squadron is a first party published game.

And you're still arguing the point with wordplay simultaneously stretching and contracting the term "second party" even after being proven wrong with documentation.

No you didn't. You posted an opinion from a Nintendo fanblog, and an offhand interpretation of a line said by during an interview. You can find opinions that state the opposite as well.

https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/66678-Factor-5-Working-On-PS3-EDI-Games

On top of that, your sources even admit that people consider Factor 5 to be second party. But more importantly, nothing you posted provides a shred of relevant distinction between Rare and Factor 5.

There's no validity to your disqualification of Rare but not Factor 5.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.