By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - United States should downsize the population by ending all immigration and creating incentives for having fewer kids.

Should united states downsize it's population.

Yes 14 18.67%

No 59 78.67%

Maybe 2 2.67%

Total:75
NightlyPoe said:
sundin13 said:

How exactly is "human life" defined?

Once a life starts, it's human.  Life starts at conception at which point it is a separate entity.  Hence my original answer.

And why should this "human life" inherently be protected?

The right to live is the most basic of rights. Without it, all the others are meaningless.  After all, the right to speak or worship as you choose is meaningless if someone has the right to end your life before you can do so.

In this vein, do you consider it abhorrent when the plug is pulled on someone who is brain-dead and on life support?

Keeping a body from naturally expiring through artificial means is a separate ethical question.  Indeed in many ways, you've presented an inverse of the question of abortion.

-In one, the question is whether medicine should be allowed to be used as a method to intervene with nature and terminate a life.
-In the other, the question is whether medicine should be mandated to intervene with nature and artificially extend a life.

As such, the overlap between the two is not as great as you may believe.  For myself, I am not an absolutist on the subject.  To give an extreme, I certainly wouldn't favor forcing patients onto ventilators against their will.  However, I tend to side with caution when it comes to withholding or withdrawing life-extending medical intervention.  If there's doubt or controversy, I will typically side with life.

But either way, I don't believe that asking such a question (or any other ethically thorny question) sheds as much light on the subject of abortion as you might believe.

1) And hence my issue with your original answer. There isn't really any argument within your assertion of "once a life starts it is human". It is largely a circular argument which relies on a belief in the argument's own trueness to prove its trueness. But again, there is a lack of clarity in both the term "life" and the term "human". What make something alive? Is it the fact that it contains living cells? Is it a conscious awareness? Is it its ability to survive on its own? And what is the meaning of "human"? Under the dictionary, a human is basically something with the features and qualities of a human, but a fertilized egg fails to reach even that low bar. Why is it human? How is it alive? And why do those questions matter

2) Again, you are largely missing the question. There is a significant non-moral and non-religious answer to the sanctity of life regarding individuals post-birth. One of the facets of that argument discusses the strength of society. It should be intuitive that a society that considers murder wrong is a lot stronger than a society which does not. However, the same doesn't really apply to abortion. If you consider abortion from a pragmatic viewpoint, it provides many benefits. These include: Increased access to education and increased labor force participation, which are both important factors to reducing poverty and inequality. It also provides agency, rights and control over their body to women and bringing it back to the overall question of this thread, it helps to reduce birth rates in a way which doesn't rely on heavy handed government control. The argument for the wrongness of murder simply doesn't extend to an argument for the wrongness of abortion, which is why such an argument needs to be made independently of the inherency argument.

3) My purpose in asking this question is because I think it is a discussion regarding the sanctity of life, and it is another situation where ending a life does not produce negative societal outcomes, and in fact may be a positive choice for society. It is also an interesting parallel as it is a discussion of whether to mandate interference to ensure a human who isn't viable be kept alive. The difference here is that this is done using machines whereas a child is kept alive using a woman's body. I don't mind dropping this particular example though.

4) Another point of curiosity, do you believe in exceptions to your ban on abortion, such as in instances of incest and rape?

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
haxxiy said:

To a number of interpretations of Christianity, where that particular morality comes from, maybe, yes.

I did not mention Christianity or any other religion.  There is a sound secular argument that abortion is an act of violence that should not be allowed in a civilized society.

Bringing religion into the matter is trying to create a straw man.

But to secular Law, no right is an absolute right, not even the right to life. This is why things like the right to self-defense and defense of others exist. Or euthanasia, military necessity, capital punishment etc.

Yes, but none of those apply.  I specifically used the word "arbitrarily" for a reason, mainly to short-circuit this argument.  One does not need to believe in "never kill" to believe that giving a person the unquestioned right to kill at will is unacceptable.

Again, this is a straw man

You seem to believe women are playing dice to decide to have an abortion. They're not. That's often the last step of very traumatic processes and circumstances.

Your "sound secular arguments" don't exist either outside of a modern age Western humanist philosophy that stems from the earlier works of Augustine and others. So, my point stands. I always lol at people who fail to realize how much they are the product of a specific historic and cultural context and think they hace achieved some sort of universal truth.

There's two people born every second, so no shortage of precious human lives for you to care about. Go do something for them instead of patrolling other people's wombs.

NightlyPoe said:
sundin13 said:

How exactly is "human life" defined?

Once a life starts, it's human.  Life starts at conception at which point it is a separate entity.  Hence my original answer.

And why should this "human life" inherently be protected?

The right to live is the most basic of rights. Without it, all the others are meaningless.  After all, the right to speak or worship as you choose is meaningless if someone has the right to end your life before you can do so.

In this vein, do you consider it abhorrent when the plug is pulled on someone who is brain-dead and on life support?

Keeping a body from naturally expiring through artificial means is a separate ethical question.  Indeed in many ways, you've presented an inverse of the question of abortion.

-In one, the question is whether medicine should be allowed to be used as a method to intervene with nature and terminate a life.
-In the other, the question is whether medicine should be mandated to intervene with nature and artificially extend a life.

As such, the overlap between the two is not as great as you may believe.  For myself, I am not an absolutist on the subject.  To give an extreme, I certainly wouldn't favor forcing patients onto ventilators against their will.  However, I tend to side with caution when it comes to withholding or withdrawing life-extending medical intervention.  If there's doubt or controversy, I will typically side with life.

But either way, I don't believe that asking such a question (or any other ethically thorny question) sheds as much light on the subject of abortion as you might believe.

Bolded:But what does life being human matter,he has the right to suffer and die after being born instead of being aborted?

Snoopy said:
There are over 320 million people living in the United States and the rate of growth is exponential.

Uhh... No, it's not. And, by the way, more people = more demand = more jobs. The number of jobs is directly correlated to the number of people.

Snoopy said:
There is not enough jobs, money or resources to go around especially when automation is ramping up and killing the need for humans.

Oh, there's plenty of money to go around. It's just all concentrated in the hands of very few people.

As for automation, that's just natural when it comes to technology, it has nothing to do with the population size. It's been happening for millennia. The authorities should create a security net to phase out the jobs that are being replaced by robots in a way that doesn't ruin the lives of people that depend on them.

Snoopy said:
I might be wrong and someone can point it out. Most of this is just me speaking from the top of my head.

Yeah, you didn't need to say that. The OP is just a carbon copy of the racist anti-immigrant arguments. They appeal to the emotions, but they don't make much sense once you think about them for a bit. Bigotry disguised as concern for the economy.

And by the way, how do you plan to END ALL IMMIGRATION? Do you want the US to become the next North Korea? If the US bans immigration, their international soft power is gone. You can expect retaliation, and then you can be sure that the economy is fucked.

B O I

NightlyPoe said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

And by the way, how do you plan to END ALL IMMIGRATION? Do you want the US to become the next North Korea? If the US bans immigration, their international soft power is gone. You can expect retaliation, and then you can be sure that the economy is fucked.

Umm... what?  How do you get from not accepting more immigrants to North Korea?  You're missing like 90 steps between the two extremes.

"United States should downsize the population by ending all immigration and creating incentives for having fewer kids."

North Korea is the one country I can think of that bans all immigration. I'm comparing them based on the immigration policy the OP was proposing.

B O I

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

"United States should downsize the population by ending all immigration and creating incentives for having fewer kids."

North Korea is the one country I can think of that bans all immigration. I'm comparing them based on the immigration policy the OP was proposing.

If you're just talking about immigration policies, why would other nations feel the need to retaliate?

Because immigrants come from other countries. Countries nowadays have agreements to facilitate immigration. We live in a globalized world, where most people can immigrate to other countries fairly easily. By banning any immigration, the US would be basically giving the middle finger to every other country.

B O I

NightlyPoe said:
RolStoppable said:

That's easy to say for men.

Trying to negate an opinion based on a person's inherited traits instead of engaging the argument...

Generally frowned upon in most situations.

Immersiveunreality said:

I think it very much should exist everywhere,sometimes it is even selfless to end anothers beginning of living to avoid suffering.

Institutions are full with children of prolife parents that got sick of them afterwards,lonely and suffering till the end.

So we're back to the original idea that orphans are better off dead?

Yeah, I just reject that.

Immersiveunreality said:

Bolded:But what does life being human matter,he has the right to suffer and die after being born instead of being aborted?

Yes, a person has the right to a potentially lousy (and potentially wonderful) life instead of being aborted.

First bold: But you are trying to force your own generalising will unto possible suffering children and females that you neglect because you think all life must live.

Second bold:Orphans are not better of dead,SOME are better of dead but your extremity is pushing them all under the same thought.

Third bold:Sometimes the chance is low or nonexistent to have a wonderfull life,medical equipment exists to be able to see some things very early on.

NightlyPoe said:

sundin13 said:

1) And hence my issue with your original answer. There isn't really any argument within your assertion of "once a life starts it is human".

It's just a scientific fact that conception is when life begins.  I don't know what extra value there is that you want to give beyond that's when a separate entity is created that begins to develop as a unique individual.

I don't know what's circular about it.  It's just a factual statement.

Under the dictionary, a human is basically something with the features and qualities of a human, but a fertilized egg fails to reach even that low bar.

A fertilized egg is human, and therefore has human qualities.  You have a scientist examine a fertilized egg and ask him what species it is, they'll answer, "Human".

How is it alive?"

You're questioning whether a developing organism is alive?  What else would it be?

Again, you are largely missing the question. There is a significant non-moral and non-religious answer to the sanctity of life regarding individuals post-birth. One of the facets of that argument discusses the strength of society. It should be intuitive that a society that considers murder wrong is a lot stronger than a society which does not. However, the same doesn't really apply to abortion. If you consider abortion from a pragmatic viewpoint, it provides many benefits. These include: Increased access to education and increased labor force participation, which are both important factors to reducing poverty and inequality. It also provides agency, rights and control over their body to women and bringing it back to the overall question of this thread, it helps to reduce birth rates in a way which doesn't rely on heavy handed government control.

That's a rather crass utilitarian argument that should be discarded out of hand.  A society benefiting from an unjust action is not absolved.

There are a lot of shenanigans for all sorts of unspeakable evils that could be justified using that sort of logic.

The argument for the wrongness of murder simply doesn't extend to an argument for the wrongness of abortion, which is why such an argument needs to be made independently of the inherency argument.

It need not.  I am not making a utilitarian argument.  Not on such a basic matter.

My purpose in asking this question is because I think it is a discussion regarding the sanctity of life, and it is another situation where ending a life does not produce negative societal outcomes, and in fact may be a positive choice for society.

Again, I reject out of hand the notion that end of life care should be dictated by the positives a death would bring to society.  Jeez.

It is also an interesting parallel as it is a discussion of whether to mandate interference to ensure a human who isn't viable be kept alive. The difference here is that this is done using machines whereas a child is kept alive using a woman's body. I don't mind dropping this particular example though.

It's also not particularly useful.  We don't pull unconsenting people off of life support when we know they'll be able to function on their own in a reliably finite amount of time.

4) Another point of curiosity, do you believe in exceptions to your ban on abortion, such as in instances of incest and rape?

No.  I don't believe in punishing a person's progeny for their crimes.

Though, I will acknowledge that the issue has a few more shades of gray.  Namely that the woman did not consent to the pregnancy in the first place and has no... contract for lack of a better word, with the child for bringing them into life and the responsibility to see them to their birth at minimum that comes with it.

As you seem unwilling to engage in anything even vaguely resembling an argument, I'll be brief.

My qualms over your assertions of "human" and "life" regarding an undeveloped, fertilized egg lie in the fact that these distinctions you are making are functionally useless. If you take a drop of blood and hand it to a scientist and ask "is this alive?" they will look at the cells in the sample and make that determination. I am not asking "if" a fertilized egg is alive, I am asking "how", or "in what sense" is it alive. If the only factor is "the cells are alive", the definition you are providing is far too broad.

Similarly, if you then ask "is this human?" they will then look at the DNA inside the cells and make this determination. In both cases, a drop of blood contains all of the same factors of both being "human" and "life" as a fertilized egg. But is a cell belonging to a human a human, or is it the combination of many cells which makes a human?

Under the assertion that we must inherently protect "human" "life", with such a vague and overreaching definition, that statement stretches far beyond a discussion of abortion. As such, simply leaving it as "it is human life" is fundamentally nonsense.

As for the life support question, if that person, say, is undergoing kidney failure and needs a kidney in order to live, we do not mandate that someone gives a kidney to this individual, because the individual has absolute agency over their own body and this agency comes before even the lives of others. Similarly, a woman should have absolute agency over her own body. The state should not mandate she use it in a certain way, just as the state should not mandate individuals give up their kidneys.

This topic seems like a full on ban trap but hey lol

Downright stopping immigration has a detrimental effect on any country. The more isolated a country is, the more it staggers development and new ideas. Ideally there would always be a good flow of migrants (in and out) of any country. What a sad existence it would be to be born, live and die exactly in the same place.

Having said this, I'm all for stopping incentives to have more kids. Unfortunately the countries where overpopulation is a real issue, show no signs of stopping it. Tends to be poorer countries where kids are seen as a security for people to be "taken care of" in their older years, so the more the better from that selfish perspective. That and the religious angle, but fortunately that one seems to be declining.

Additionally, people born and raised in a specific country not being able to compete for a good job with an immigrant is really saying something. Someone that had to leave everything behind and start a new life, may or may not even speak the language to a good degree. Someone that will already have it harder in life and face discrimination on a regular basis and this person somehow is better qualified for the job you want? Should make you pause and think if the problem is not you.

Disclaimer: Not aiming this post at anyone in specific, more to the sort of people I see complaining about this sort of stuff. The "they took our jerbs" South Park meme type.