By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What elements of next gen could the Switch's successor implement?

hinch said:
Well yeah, that's what I said no? lol

yeah. sorry. quote the wrong person. 

Around the Network

No worries xD but yeah, would be silly not to stick to the hybrid approach. Switch has a market all to its own, there's nothing out there that can compete with it.

TheMisterManGuy said:
siebensus4 said:
Although it's not a strength of Nintendo to offer options (besides controller), I would very appreciate if we could get a lot more extra power in TV Mode ("powered dock"). I would pay 200 $ or more for that. 

I think we'll be getting a "Switch Pro" in that case, similar to the New 3DS or DSi. 

Imo the Switch pro will be just docked mode no handheld mode. And they will not make exclusive Switch pro games like the New 3DS. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Chicho said:
Pemalite said:

Doubt all you want. I don't expect much technical discussion with only someone who responds with a meme... But I digress.

The Nintendo 64's Carts had a transfer rate of 264MB/s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64_technical_specifications

On that same wikipedia link you provided if you click on nintendo 64 gamepak and scroll to performance it says this:

Specified at 5 to 50 MiB/s,[16]:48 Nintendo cited the ROM cartridges' very fast load times in comparison to disc-based games. Few contemporary CD-ROM drives have speeds above 4×, and the competing consoles Sega Saturn and Sony PlayStation have 2× drives running at about 300 kB/s with high latency.

so I'll keep on doubting.

And that article lists the Ram bandwidth at "500M/s" And we know the Nintendo 64's Ram bandwidth is higher than that as it's a function of buswidth x clockrate.
It's exactly 562.5 MB/s to the Reality Co-Processor and 250 MB/s to the CPU

So I think we can discount that particular citation's accuracy, not saying it's entirely incorrect, but it is certainly not concise.

Now the carts bus is an 8-bit bus @264Mhz. Again... Bus Width X Clock Rate = Bandwidth. =  264MB/s.

This means the Cart has access to a 264MB/s interface.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pyro as Bill said:
Soundwave said:

The portability is the star of the show, Nintendo's had really a miserable better part of 25 years now trying to sell a home-only console, it just doesn't work for well for them. When you make a a home only console people expect things like a modern online infrastructure, all the modern 3rd party titles, or you need a miracle craze like Wii Sports/Fit were. 

It's just too hard for Nintendo to manage that, the hybrid concept gives them the differentiator from the PS/XBox brands they need while integrating the market strength of portables which quite frankly has been their stronger side for decades now. 

If Nintendo wants to do something more along the lines of what you're suggesting, maybe a premium high end Switch that it more akin to a mini lap top could work. That could have a higher end chip and then in a couple of years the chip could be die shrunk to fit a more normal size handheld I guess. 

What you're saying is Nintendo can only win a home console race with a Wii-type gimmick and/or software that appeals to a wider/underserved audience?

Or until Nintendo fixes their online and/or gets the biggest/latest 3rd parties, they can't win without the casuals?

Is that fair?

They needed to do that stuff like 20 years ago in terms of better execution with a standard stationary console. Even if they did that now, Sony/MS are too far entrenched in that market segment. It would be like if Nokia tomorrow showed up with a really nice phone, as good as the iPhone ... well that's nice and all but it would still be too little, too late, most people still wouldn't want it. 

The hybrid concept plays to Nintendo's strengths and because it is portable, people give more leeway to things like online, release schedule, missing 3rd parties, etc. because no portable really has ever been great in those areas so it's not expected. 

But for home console, pretty much most people have owned a Playstation or XBox at some point and they expect a lot in terms of features, online, 3rd party software, etc. etc. etc. Even on the Nintendo end, there's really only one console that's ever had big success without 3rd party support and that was the Wii which collapsed pretty hard after its 3rd year on the market. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

I’m really hoping that Switch 2 is fairly impressive technologically when it releases in a couple of years. Something like:

Screen: 6.2 inch 1080p with HDR

CPU: 8 core ARM Cortex-A77 at 2.2ghz

GPU: Turing cores, 1.6 tflop handheld, 2.6 tflop docked

RAM: 10 GB of LPDDR5

Storage: 256 GB SSD with 1000 MB/s read/write speed

Expandable Storage: Support for SDXC cards with SD Express speed standard of 985 MB/s

Game cards: Capable of about 1000 MB/s read speed

DLSS support

My guesses would probably be

7-inch 1080p display

Arm A78 8-core CPU @ 2 GHz

Nvidia 5nm Ampere based Tegra chip

DLSS 3.0 implementation, allows for games to run as low as 480x288 native resolution at upscale up. 

1.6 teraflop undocked/3.2 teraflop docked

16GB LPDDR5x RAM @ 133GB/sec bandwidth

128GB high speed UFS 4.0 flash storage, 4GB/sec. 

Game cards come in 32/64/128GB can be in the slower speed (cheaper) or super-fast (will cost more initially). 

Larger joy cons that are more comfortable w/analog triggers. Have larger internal battery that the base Switch can use for optional "performance mode". This allows Switch 2 to run docked performance even undocked by utilizing extra battery from the Joycons (basically turning them into an external battery pack). 

$349.99 launch price. 

Ray Traying would be a complete waste of resources on the Switch 2

The main things to focus on is keeping up with CPU,RAM & Memory Speed requirements, GPU can more easily be scaled with resolution ( DLSS). 4K capability is no brainer, what resolution devs actually target will depend entirely on their focus. PS5/XSX ports can scale up from 540p if necessary, 1st party Nintendo games or Switch 2 exclusives will largely aim for higher.

Also think Nintendo can afford to aim for a $399 price with Switch 2. I think they've proved the concept works, now its time to put a bit more money into the hardware so it can more comfortably be a jack of all trades.

Otter said:
Ray Traying would be a complete waste of resources on the Switch 2

The main things to focus on is keeping up with CPU,RAM & Memory Speed requirements, GPU can more easily be scaled with resolution ( DLSS). 4K capability is no brainer, what resolution devs actually target will depend entirely on their focus. PS5/XSX ports can scale up from 540p if necessary, 1st party Nintendo games or Switch 2 exclusives will largely aim for higher.

Also think Nintendo can afford to aim for a $399 price with Switch 2. I think they've proved the concept works, now its time to put a bit more money into the hardware so it can more comfortably be a jack of all trades.

If PS5/XBSX are $599.99 especially to start with, I think $399.99 even would be fair especially if Switch 2 can run a good number of PS5 games. Even at only 576p resolution, that will scale up to 1440p very nicely for TV play and undocked can go even lower. Control on PC using DLSS 2.0 still looks very playable on a small portable screen at even 512x288 resolution. 

$349.99 is a given at least I think, the Wii U launched at this price already in 2012, so its the pricing they were looking at for their consoles even 8 years ago. They had to back off that price point only because the system flopped.

They also now I think have confidence that they can always release a cheaper "Lite" model down the road for people who want, so the base Switch doesn't have to be all things for every consumer, they know now the can bring out a Lite model later to cater to budget conscious consumers. 

shikamaru317 said:

I’m really hoping that Switch 2 is fairly impressive technologically when it releases in a couple of years. Something like:

Screen: 6.5 inch 1080p with HDR

CPU: 8 core ARM Cortex-A77 at 2.2ghz

GPU: Turing or Ampere cores, 1.4 tflop handheld, 2.6 tflop docked

RAM: 10 GB of LPDDR5

Internal Storage: 256 GB with 1000 MB/s read/write speed

Expandable Storage: Support for SDXC cards with SD Express speed standard of 985 MB/s

Game cards: Capable of about 1000 MB/s read speed

DLSS support

If they can pull that off for $350-400 by Holiday 2022 or Q1 2023 I will be quite happy.

In terms of specs and features, Here's what I think we could get with the Switch's successor, which I will tentatively title "Switch Advance"

* 1080p OLED Haptic Touchscreen, with smaller bezels

* Up to 4K visuals in TV Mode, with optional HDR support

* New custom Nvidia Terga Processor with support for Ray Tracing and DLSS

* 12X more powerful than OG Switch

* 1TB M2 Mini SSD built-in, allowing for massive storage and blazing fast load speeds

* New Joy-Con Advance controllers

* Left Joy-Con Advance has a built-in mic, for instant online chat, and voice controls in games

* Each Controller now has a built-in speaker, adding a new layer of stereo sound in games

* L & R Buttons are now clickable analog scroll wheels

* New Weight Displacement Technology allows each controller to magically change its weight depending on in-game actions

* Redesigned Control Sticks (No more drift)

* Joy-Con Advance Grip has a Touchpad for touchscreen features in TV Mode, and a Headphone jack 

* Motion sensors, HD Rumble, 2-player support, and IR motion camera carry over from the previous system, and original Joy-Con are supported as well

* New Mosaic-Link Feature, new system wide feature that lets you link the screens of up to 8 systems to offer multi-screen, multiplayer fun in supported games, using just one copy, made possible by the new M2 SSD, Download Play for the DS and 3DS make a return as a result

* Multi-Game suspension, you can now run multiple games and apps at once, seamlessly switching between then. Up to 8 games can be suspended at a time.

* Backwards compatibility, plays all your favorite Switch games, original controllers and accessories are supported as well.

One interesting feature that I think would be very interesting would be if Nintendo implemented NV Link type technology. NV Link is basically a high speed Nvidia port that allows two processors to basically become one, they've had this technology for a while but it doesn't get used much on the PC side.

But with a small portable Switch system, it would be interesting if you could simply just hook two of them together with a cable and be able to say double the power of the system. Especially if you had like a Lite Switch 2 + OG Switch 2, plug the Lite Switch 2 into the dock while the Switch 2 is also in the dock and all of the sudden they could function together as one chipset.

I mean Nintendo has said a stated goal of theirs is to get households to buy multiple Switch systems. Given the unique convenience of the portable tablet size, it would be neat if you could daisy chain them together. Then maybe things like ray tracing effects could be unlocked.