By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: PS5 is going to cost 599$ and it will be ok.

How much will the PS5 cost ?

More than 599$ 2 2.78%

599$ 17 23.61%

499$ 49 68.06%

399$ 2 2.78%

Less than 399$ 2 2.78%

Total:72

As the dust settles after yesterday's presentation, the more I think about the more I believe me we are looking at an new generation of the more expensive kind.

I'll go as far as saying Sony will charge the infamous 599$ price tag, but this time it won't be a great problem. The market will accept it and the PS5 will be a success anyway. Here's why:

1. Audience Demographics. The average video game console player is becoming older. This can be easily explained due to all the new players that entered the market during the 90s / early 00s and stayed to this day. People who were kids or in their teens during the PS1/PS2 days are now in their thirties or forties. An older demographic with an higher income can afford to spend more for thier hobbies.
  2. Longevity. Since Sony is the market leader with the PS4 they haven't got a great incetive push for frontloaded PS5 sales in the first years. If the demand is "too strong" they are more likely to face shortage problems (they could even have some problems to keep up with new exclusive software), also they'll incur into the risk of saturating the market too quickly, reducing as an effect the overall life cycle of the product. On the other hand an higher launch price would mean slower adoption rate at the beginning but more capability for price-cuts and to extend the sales curve in the long run.
  3. Positioning. In the long term, going beyond just a single generation, Sony doesn't aim to just beat Xbox in market shares, but rather they'll want to streghten thier position as the "premium" home console brand. In other words they want to convice customers they're the best choice and thier products have higher intrisic value compared to any competitor. If you think about it every element of the PS5 screams premium - from its exclusive technology (dual sense, fast SSD, 3D audio) to its exclusive "premium" titles, down to its futuristic console design. For this reason I believe that Sony won't aim to match the Series X price at launch, but rather they will use it as a "floor" and add premium to it.
  4. Cross-gen will sustain Sony in the early years. Even if the PS5 doesn't start to fly off shelves at the beginning it won't be a problem. Sony will continue to turn profits from the huge PS4 install base and PSN subscriptions. They don't have any catching up to do (as opposed to MS) and they can afford to enter the new generation at a slower pace.

So, how much do you think should Sony charge for the PS5 ? How much are you willing to spend for it?

Last edited by freebs2 - on 12 June 2020

Around the Network

I am expecting to pay up to 600 bucks. If its cheaper, cool, but my wallet is ready.

If the PS5 is $599 and Microsoft releases the XSX at $499 as a cheaper alternative, I think you would see a bleed of Sony marketshare back to Xbox. I'm not saying that Sony wouldn't be fine overall. But, I think you would see that the overall sales wouldn't really pick-up until after the first price cut or so. It's easy for a diehard Sony forum user to say "I would throw $1000 at that", but the general consumer public is generally more cautious with their $$$.

Bristow9091 said:
Honestly I'm expecting to pay a lot for it, I'll go with $599 too since that works out at around £475 and I'm expecting to pay £500 for it... anything cheaper will just be a huge bonus for me, lol

If it costs $599 the best we can hope for is £549

Which is still half the price of a flagship smartphone.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

$450 digital version
$550 with optical drive

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

If Sony is at 599 bones it will definitely see its marketshare eroded if the Series X comes in 100 dollar cheaper. If I am going by Sony game release, none of its big hitters will see the light of day until after 2 years of the console on the market.

$600 today is 471 in 2006 (ps3 release)
so value is much cheaper when ps3 was released in 2006 (Xbox stole a lot of PS market esp early years).... i think it is doable..... but still would hurt if xbox price theirs at 499

If it does cost $599, I will probably delay my purchase. Since I am a PC gamer and a lot of the games shown are coming to PC and only like 1 or 2 actual exclusives will be available at launch, I don't have much reason to drop $599 for one or two games.

With that being said, if the Series X costs less, then it might be an interesting predicament for some people. We will see at the Series X event though which games will be coming to that platform at launch.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

They could pull of 600$ IMO but it would be foolish to price it at that, especially when the PS4 and Pro both started at 400. It will loose marketshare at that price. But if they price 600-500 with the disc and discless version, it could work.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I actually think we might get $399/$499 entry points.

According to Bloomberg the PS5 BOM was $450. I could see Sony taking a slight loss at $499. With a $399 all digital model, the PS5 is in great position to undercut Lockhart, at least in terms of value proposition, while "transitioning" their userbase at a pace they've never seen before. Sony would eat bigger losses on their cheaper model in the short term to gain more from revenue from their customer in the long term. If someone purchases the all digital model than Sony cuts out the middleman and increases their cut in services and software.