By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: PS5 is going to cost 599$ and it will be ok.

How much will the PS5 cost ?

More than 599$ 2 2.78%

599$ 17 23.61%

499$ 49 68.06%

399$ 2 2.78%

Less than 399$ 2 2.78%

Total:72
shikamaru317 said:

I'm honestly thinking that PS5 costs more to build than XSX at this point. We have an expensive custom SSD, a pretty high tech controller, a case that doesn't look cheap to produce and will likely require a pretty expensive cooling system. XSX by comparison has a more expensive AMD APU, but a cheaper controller that doesn't even have an internal battery, let alone haptics, trigger motors, a touchpad, a microphone, and a speaker. XSX case design seems much cheaper to build, and it can be cooled by a single fan, I suspect Sony will need multiple fans to cool PS5 unless they want it to be loud and hot again like PS4 Pro. I'm not sure about $600, but I wouldn't be surprised if disc drive PS4 is $550, discless at $500.

Series X comes with a controller that doesn't have an internal battery? Can you explain this further? Does it have a rechargable external battery or something? 

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

If it ends up at that price point, that's gonna be a preeeety spicy meatball in Canada. Almost certainly over $800 with taxes in my province. Also if true, my condolences to Australia and Brazil.

Good points actually. Tbh I wasn't thinking much about Countries outside EU and US... Yes, that price tag would be bold, at least. 

Still... I wouldn't rule it out. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm honestly thinking that PS5 costs more to build than XSX at this point. We have an expensive custom SSD, a pretty high tech controller, a case that doesn't look cheap to produce and will likely require a pretty expensive cooling system. XSX by comparison has a more expensive AMD APU, but a cheaper controller that doesn't even have an internal battery, let alone haptics, trigger motors, a touchpad, a microphone, and a speaker. XSX case design seems much cheaper to build, and it can be cooled by a single fan, I suspect Sony will need multiple fans to cool PS5 unless they want it to be loud and hot again like PS4 Pro. I'm not sure about $600, but I wouldn't be surprised if disc drive PS4 is $550, discless at $500.

Series X comes with a controller that doesn't have an internal battery? Can you explain this further? Does it have a rechargable external battery or something? 

Much like Xbox One's controller, it is designed to accept AA's, because MS found that when surveying their fanbase, about half still like to use AA's. You can purchase a rechargeable battery pack for it, by buying the Xbox play and charge kit, but afaik it doesn't come bundled with one of those rechargeable batteries, just 2 non-rechargeable AA's. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-controller-uses-aa-batteries-because/1100-6475350/

Playstation almost lost a generation by doing the 599 thing.
They absolutely dominated the last one, starting at 349-399.
There is no way in hell that base price for PS5 will be above 499, absolutely no way.

I hope not, you have to factor in the cost in other countries as well. Like 600$ for a console will make it like 750$ In Canada... literally would TANK i don't think that many people are ready to spend that much money on a console, especially rn when a lot of jobs have been cut or some just don't have full salary.

I think 499$ max 550$ is the max they will go.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Much like Xbox One's controller, it is designed to accept AA's, because MS found that when surveying their fanbase, about half still like to use AA's. You can purchase a rechargeable battery pack for it, by buying the Xbox play and charge kit, but afaik it doesn't come bundled with one of those rechargeable batteries, just 2 non-rechargeable AA's. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-controller-uses-aa-batteries-because/1100-6475350/

Wow. I had no idea XB1 controllers still came with AA batteries. What's the price on a recharging kit new? 

Cerebralbore101 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Wow. I had no idea XB1 controllers still came with AA batteries. What's the price on a recharging kit new? 

$20 I think. It's alot cheaper than buying a whole new controller when your battery life starts to get bad after a couple of years, so I actually like that Xbox controllers have replaceable batteries. But I do wish they bundled a rechargeable battery with the console and separate controllers. 

There is no way they sell it for $599. Tons of people are unemployed and the economy sucks.

LudicrousSpeed said:
There is no way they sell it for $599. Tons of people are unemployed and the economy sucks.

dunno there are lines for a new apple at +1200 dollar/euro/pound
so i agree with OPs assesment

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

No it won't and no it isn't /thread

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."