By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Prediction: PS5 is going to cost 599$ and it will be ok.

How much will the PS5 cost ?

More than 599$ 2 2.78%

599$ 17 23.61%

499$ 49 68.06%

399$ 2 2.78%

Less than 399$ 2 2.78%

Total:72

Yeah its gonna be expensive. My original estimates were a low $449/£419 but looking at the console now it has to be at the very least £499/$550.

I wouldn't have an issue spending £550 on a new console but I can imagine it being a big turn off for a lot of people.

Around the Network

That's cool that some people are fine paying 600. I personally will not be paying that price for a video game console. I will happily wait to buy one if they end up launching at 599.

I want both but no way am I paying 600 for a ps5 or any console . If you guys really think the general consumer would be ok with 600 then I don't know what to say. Given that I think both will launch at $500

Nope, they have to be competitive with MS.

At maximum they will sell it at break even price which is somewhere around $500. There's no way they're going to risk losing market share.

Any higher price is unnecessary.

Before the reveal I was probably leaning $499, but I have to imagine if that were the case they would've announced it, along with announcing the digital-only at $399 as a final mic drop. Since they're holding it back, I'm guessing $599 and then $499 for the digital-only.

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
$450 digital version
$550 with optical drive

This.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Mandalore76 said:
If the PS5 is $599 and Microsoft releases the XSX at $499 as a cheaper alternative, I think you would see a bleed of Sony marketshare back to Xbox. I'm not saying that Sony wouldn't be fine overall. But, I think you would see that the overall sales wouldn't really pick-up until after the first price cut or so. It's easy for a diehard Sony forum user to say "I would throw $1000 at that", but the general consumer public is generally more cautious with their $$$.

I agree with you partially. In that scenario Sony would definetly lose some marketshare, my argument is that the loss would be contained and the impact of that loss would be offset by increased profitability (per unit) and - if they manage to pass the message - the positioning advantage of convincing players their console is worth that price.

It would be a bold move sure, but the market already recognizes PS as "superor" to a certain extent... after all the specs gap between PS4 and XB1 is not that dramatic and doesn't justify on its own the huge sales gap. Plus, if you take the PS3 for comparison, consider it started off in a worse place: not only it was 100$ more expensive, it was also one year late and it didn't have 1st party fanbase it has now. By the time it came out X360 had one year worth of catalogue with heavy hits like Elder Scrolls 4 and Gears Of War. Despite all these odds the PS3 still managed to end up with a slight advantage.

Y'all are out of your minds if you think the digital version will be $100 cheaper.

DOA at $600. People dont even have that much money saved up for emergency

I'm thinking $500 for the PS5 and around $400-450 for the Digital Edition. That's assuming the amount of storage for the 2 versions of the system are exactly the same.