By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like the PS5 console design?

Do you like the PS5 console design?

Yes 132 55.23%

No 80 33.47%

On the fence 27 11.30%

Total:239
CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think its size will be the issue either. Japan simply isn't much interested in dedicated consoles any more, and Sony's focus is clearly on Western audiences. PS4 is struggling to sell as much as PS3 in Japan, which was already massively down from PS2. Doing fine "relative to the climate" at this point means being a distantly secondary contender. 

Outside of VGC, I've not seen a breakdown of PS3 vs PS4 JP numbers. Regardless, there's simply nothing in the console space for Sony to be worried about there, so as noted, barring a lack of games, high price (or both), it should be a natural reduction relative to interest in the region.

I changed the wording to just "conceded", but as a hybrid, Switch can also serve as a console, and indeed the version that can is preferred even in Japan over the handheld-only Lite.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

I changed the wording to just "conceded", but as a hybrid, Switch can also serve as a console, and indeed the version that can is preferred even in Japan over the handheld-only Lite.

No way to know how the Switch would compete outside of a handheld portion, so I won't speculate on it. All I'd like to see is a breakdown of PS3 vs PS4 numbers (not from us, something that has access to more data).

I'm sure there's Famitsu numbers to corroborate, though I don't have them myself.

Any way you slice it, Sony were once a strong presence in Japan, selling over 20 million with the PS1, PS2, and PSP. Now they're lucky if they break 10 million, and play second fiddle in a market dominated by Nintendo.

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

I'm sure there's Famitsu numbers to corroborate, though I don't have them myself.

Any way you slice it, Sony were once a strong presence in Japan, selling over 20 million with the PS1, PS2, and PSP. Now they're lucky if they break 10 million, and play second fiddle in a market dominated by Nintendo.

Which isn't a fault of Sony's, rather a changing climate. Nintendo dominates by focusing on what sells there and playing to their strengths, as all companies do. Same reason no one touches Sony in EU and many other places outside NA/JP. 

Sony are conceding that market though rather than trying to adapt to it, which is honestly the best move as the Vita showed that supporting two systems at once to try to appeal to mobile-centric Japan isn't necessarily worth it. Still, that doesn't change the outcome, which is that Sony are focused on the West and have effectively conceded Japan to Nintendo.

Not really but that's ok, it's an electronic not furniture

DroidKnight said:
I don't mind the design at all, as long as it plays the games I want. The giant size of it will probably hurt Japan sales. They gonna take one look at it in the store and point and laugh like they did with other large consoles from past generations.

I don't think so. Once a thing becomes large enough, it becomes sort of an "art object". So the step from "Ugh...too big" to "Wow...design piece" is very small, even in Japan.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

Sony are conceding that market though rather than trying to adapt to it, which is honestly the best move as the Vita showed that supporting two systems at once to try to appeal to mobile-centric Japan isn't necessarily worth it. Still, that doesn't change the outcome, which is that Sony are focused on the West and have effectively conceded Japan to Nintendo.

The issue was lack of support, not that they tried hard and failed. Nintendo proved that you can cover two machines at once so long as the support is there, and they also understand the handheld portion needs to be intact. Last attempt for them outside of it (Wii U), they were obliterated (part Vita-like blunder, part declining home console interest).

Thus, yes, Sony are playing to their strengths in the West, Nintendo to theirs in the East. The former simply has no other home console to threaten whatever it is left that they can do in the region. 

They did try and fail; Vita being the failure.

Sony's market presence in Japan has declined to the point where they're distantly secondary to Nintendo, and the PS5 shows no sign of contending this. And that's okay, because the PS4 shows they don't really need to be big in Japan to succeed.

This was posted in an other thread. Thought it gives context to size.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

CGI-Quality said:

Bottom line, the declining interest in PlayStation as a home console is thanks to declining interest in all home consoles. No way to argue around that. Yes, it is okay. PlayStation as a brand doesn't need it (which is sad to say, but mathematically correct). 

I said as much in my first post, my point simply being that by not trying to adapt to this changing market Sony are in effect conceding said market. Which, as we agree, they can afford to do anyway.

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

I said as much in my first post, my point simply being that by not trying to adapt to this changing market Sony are in effect conceding said market. Which, as we agree, they can afford to do anyway.

And my point sticks to what I said from the beginning, thus we can hop off this merry-go-round.

Same, so yeah pretty much haha.

I am actually quite curious to see if PS5's Japanese sales decline from PS4 or not. The gap charts on that will be fascinating to watch.

Hopefully the PS5 hardware team is as advanced as this guy and his team from Dell. Big cooling innovations especially for blower fans in tight spaces like laptops. I mean, Alienware, right?