By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like the PS5 console design?

Do you like the PS5 console design?

Yes 132 55.23%

No 80 33.47%

On the fence 27 11.30%

Total:239

Based on the clear V shape they're going for to signify 5, with the black in the middle surrounded by white, I'm a little surprised the controller didn't end up two toned in a layout more like this.

The touch pad being in a V shape is almost certainly to keep with the 5 reference, so why they didn't make it black to better match the console's overall scheme I dunno. Maybe that was seen as to easy or to simple? White triggers would also match the console better, but I don't think that would look as good on the controller. I'm not a big fan of this mock up or the revealed controller color layout anyway, just found it kinda odd why they chose the color layout on the controller that they did, now knowing what the console looks like.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

In terms of looks I think I'd rank the PS consoles:

3 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 4

Still waiting for the day someone makes a system as utterly beautiful as the original fat PS3.

Mine's literally the exact opposite. the Ps4 was perfect, I loved the Ps2, the PS5 looks pretty sweet and slick even if I'm having a hard time adapting to it, the PS1 is a classic but I still don't like the design, and the PS3 looks terrible. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
curl-6 said:

In terms of looks I think I'd rank the PS consoles:

3 > 1 > 5 > 2 > 4

Still waiting for the day someone makes a system as utterly beautiful as the original fat PS3.

Mine's literally the exact opposite. the Ps4 was perfect, I loved the Ps2, the PS5 looks pretty sweet and slick even if I'm having a hard time adapting to it, the PS1 is a classic but I still don't like the design, and the PS3 looks terrible. 

I guess I just prefer systems that have a sleeker, more stylized design, besides just having a lot of nostalgia for the PS1, and it's slim version being cute as a button.

I love the curvy, deluxe, futuristic look of the PS3, while I found PS2 to look bland and the PS4 also bland but even worse cos that damn slant it's on also makes it look wonky.

twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

Based on the clear V shape they're going for to signify 5, with the black in the middle surrounded by white, I'm a little surprised the controller didn't end up two toned in a layout more like this.

To me that actually seems less similar to the console compared to the design they went for.  Not enough black.

Well they've got black wrapped in white basically, so this controller follows that more closely, along with the V shape. The layout they went for also is also wrapped in white, but you don't really have the V shape. I mean, I guess you could say the V is kinda there, just upside down. I think the mock up here would look better if the black was the same darker shade as on the console. Doesn't matter all that much anyway, as I said, I'm not a big fan of either controller, and not thrilled with the console either. Both are ok and have their positives, but only get one thumb up from me.

I don't mind the design at all, as long as it plays the games I want. The giant size of it will probably hurt Japan sales. They gonna take one look at it in the store and point and laugh like they did with other large consoles from past generations.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network
DroidKnight said:
I don't mind the design at all, as long as it plays the games I want. The giant size of it will probably hurt Japan sales. They gonna take one look at it in the store and point and laugh like they did with other large consoles from past generations.

Sony have already pretty much conceded the Japanese market. Their focus is overwhelming on the West nowadays.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 June 2020

curl-6 said:
DroidKnight said:

Sony have already pretty much conceded defeat in the Japanese market. Their focus is overwhelming on the West nowadays.

They should still try to push hard but they will never hit those PS2 numbers again.  PS3 was half the sales, and PS4 will be lucky to match it.  Handheld does really good there.  But yep, the west wont mind the looks or size too much, it will do good.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

Sony have already pretty much conceded defeat in the Japanese market. Their focus is overwhelming on the West nowadays.

The only real area of "defeat" is in the handheld space. As a home console, they should do fine (relative to the climate).

I also disagree with the notion that its size will hurt much (I know you didn't say that, but still). Barring serious blunders there, it should sell on par with the PS4.

I don't think its size will be the issue either. Japan simply isn't much interested in dedicated consoles any more, and Sony's focus is clearly on Western audiences. PS4 is struggling to sell as much as PS3 in Japan, which was already massively down from PS2. Doing fine "relative to the climate" at this point means being a distantly secondary contender. 

curl-6 said:
DroidKnight said:

CGI-Quality said:
curl-6 said:

The only real area of "defeat" is in the handheld space. As a home console, they should do fine (relative to the climate).

I also disagree with the notion that its size will hurt much (I know you didn't say that, but still). Barring serious blunders there, it should sell on par with the PS4.

Size will most certainly be a factor in Japan but not the only one.  More Japanese gamers will continue to switch over to handhelds and xcloud streaming to play their games on their mobile devices.  There is no way the PS5 will sell anywhere close to the PS4. Series X will also bomb there.