By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like the PS5 console design?

Do you like the PS5 console design?

Yes 132 55.23%

No 80 33.47%

On the fence 27 11.30%

Total:239
JEMC said:
DonFerrari said:

Again to use more power and generate more heat to have PROBLEMS with heat is the leap.

Neither Soundwave nor I have said that the consoles have heat problems, only that AMD has a problem making products, GPUs in this case, that generate a lot of heat because they're power hungry. And then he also said that the PS5 is ugly, which is not the question here, and that both Sony and MSoft have had to do what they could with that. Which means, greatly improve the cooling system of both consoles.

The consoles won't have a problems with heat because they've already adjusted their cooling solutions to take care of it. That's all Soundwave said in his post. I fail to see the leap you're talking about.

Yes he didn't said the console have problems with heat although gaving it as reason to be big. Again generating a lot of heat  isn't the same thing as having a heat problem.

A different thread this days talking about DF analysis of HW beeing flawed because it compared an AMD CPU with stock very simple cooling solution versus a i7 with water cooled solution. Would you claim that the i7 have heat problem?

Having a heat problem would reflect in your set up overheating and your life expectancy reducing. Neither is likely to happen even though we had this type of claim in the forum and also that Sony was having issues with the PS5 overheating and for that reason they didn't had show the console yet.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
JEMC said:

Neither Soundwave nor I have said that the consoles have heat problems, only that AMD has a problem making products, GPUs in this case, that generate a lot of heat because they're power hungry. And then he also said that the PS5 is ugly, which is not the question here, and that both Sony and MSoft have had to do what they could with that. Which means, greatly improve the cooling system of both consoles.

The consoles won't have a problems with heat because they've already adjusted their cooling solutions to take care of it. That's all Soundwave said in his post. I fail to see the leap you're talking about.

Yes he didn't said the console have problems with heat although gaving it as reason to be big. Again generating a lot of heat  isn't the same thing as having a heat problem.

A different thread this days talking about DF analysis of HW beeing flawed because it compared an AMD CPU with stock very simple cooling solution versus a i7 with water cooled solution. Would you claim that the i7 have heat problem?

Having a heat problem would reflect in your set up overheating and your life expectancy reducing. Neither is likely to happen even though we had this type of claim in the forum and also that Sony was having issues with the PS5 overheating and for that reason they didn't had show the console yet.

Sorry, I'm still trying to find what's wrong with Soundwave's comment, to be honest.

Will the SoC powering the new consoles use more power than the ones in past generations? Yes. Will that mean that it will generate more heat? Also yes (more power used = more heat produced). Have consoles got bigger to fit a better cooling system to take care of that heat so it doesn't become a problem for the console? Also yes.

Also yes, the new Intel processors have a problem. They use a lot of power and get very, very hot. That's why they need a much better cooler than the competition. A cooler that works just fine with a Ryzen 3000 will strugle to keep an Intel cool. You need either a CLC unit or a much bigger air cooler.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
DonFerrari said:

Sorry, I'm still trying to find what's wrong with Soundwave's comment, to be honest.

Will the SoC powering the new consoles use more power than the ones in past generations? Yes. Will that mean that it will generate more heat? Also yes (more power used = more heat produced). Have consoles got bigger to fit a better cooling system to take care of that heat so it doesn't become a problem for the console? Also yes.

Also yes, the new Intel processors have a problem. They use a lot of power and get very, very hot. That's why they need a much better cooler than the competition. A cooler that works just fine with a Ryzen 3000 will strugle to keep an Intel cool. You need either a CLC unit or a much bigger air cooler.

We haven't even seem the PS5 disassembled. In the case of the XSX the size is in function of the size of the chips themselves, at most the vapor chamber made the console a little more fat.

And the wrong is on the "problem". Again if you have a design that meets the requirements and don't fail or anything similar than that isn't a problem it is a condition of your design.

It would be like saying PS4 or X1 have a problem with electrical draw power because they consume a lot more than Switch, that wouldn't be true. Switch may by design use components that draw less electrical power, but if both PS4 and Xbox are designed for a different condition that needs more power that isn't a problem. The noise on PS4 can be said to be a problem since their cooling solution wasn't as well made as Xbox so to keep the console cool it became noisy, but still it didn't had a thermal problem. The only cases we heard of PS4 overheating (and got a lot of fear mongering here) was a demo console closed in an glass dome with very little ventilation.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
JEMC said:

We haven't even seem the PS5 disassembled. In the case of the XSX the size is in function of the size of the chips themselves, at most the vapor chamber made the console a little more fat.

And the wrong is on the "problem". Again if you have a design that meets the requirements and don't fail or anything similar than that isn't a problem it is a condition of your design.

It would be like saying PS4 or X1 have a problem with electrical draw power because they consume a lot more than Switch, that wouldn't be true. Switch may by design use components that draw less electrical power, but if both PS4 and Xbox are designed for a different condition that needs more power that isn't a problem. The noise on PS4 can be said to be a problem since their cooling solution wasn't as well made as Xbox so to keep the console cool it became noisy, but still it didn't had a thermal problem. The only cases we heard of PS4 overheating (and got a lot of fear mongering here) was a demo console closed in an glass dome with very little ventilation.

I feel like we're walking in circles and mixing  terms.

Again, the consoles don't have a problem with heat because they've been designed to take care of it. The ones that has a problem is AMD, that males power (electricity) hungry GPUs that produce more heat. Had AMD been able to make chips that use less power (electricity), the consoles could use smaller cooling systems.

Let's not fools ourseles here, the bigger a console is, the more expensive it is. It needs more materials to be made, the package needs to be bigger and therefore is also more expensive and the bigger the package is, the less units can be transported in a shipping container, truck or van. And given that Optical Disc Drive are the same size as before and that they don't have bulky HDDs, if they've gone bigger instead of smaller is because they have a bigger cooling system. That is not a problem, is a consequence of the problem (from AMD).

And consoles are designed with a power/performance in mind, and they pick the components available to reach that desired performance. The power/electricity that such system consumes is a consequence of that, and it needs to be taken care of

So once again, we reach the same conclusion as before: the consoles don't have a problem with heat. It's a side effect, one they've taken care of with bigger and better cooling systems that make the consoles bigger, of going with AMD, that is the one that has problems with heat.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

The Ps5 Design looks like a cheap WLan Router to me.

Around the Network

I don't. But I don't feel it matters that much either. I'm still going to want the system regardless of what it looks like.

DonFerrari said:
EricHiggin said:

PS4 certainly could have used a larger fan for the first couple of years anyway. It may have been able to get away with just that and been reasonably quiet. A longer and narrower heat sink with a curved indentation for a larger fan would have helped, along with making the outer shell a little larger overall for an even bigger fan, while also keeping the look they were going for.

I think the PS5 design is really cool, different, and unique to consoles, though too modern and artsy, so I prefer my matte black PS4 1200 model. The XB1 was way to boring and plain, and while the XBSX is as well, it's PC tower style is interesting and mostly unique to consoles. The XB1S, XB1X, PS4 and Pro sat nicely in the middle, being fairly simple, more traditional, and tasteful.

I'd guess the PS5 fan is at the top where the vents are and I'd bet it's as big as the PS3 fan if not bigger. The console has plenty of space inside of it. With only NVMe SSD internal storage expansion, it's not like there's a 2.5" or 3.5" HDD taking up space in there. The bigger the fan, the slower it'll have to spin for the most part. As long as the fan is made of a reasonable quality, it's likely to be acceptably quiet.

Fan noise on PS4 is certainly noticeable, but in the end when I'm playing even on low volume it hardly is noticed. But if PS5 doesn't do a good job on the cooling then it would have been bad to mention it on the presentation since no one asked.

About the console being to big, I'll wait for it to be dissassembled and see if there is just to much empty space of if the cooler is to big. I don't think neither is going to be the case, I think it will be a case of big chip.

PS4 had a problem through it's entire life, but more so early on, in terms of consistency when it came to noise level. Some PS4's were much quieter overall than others. I witnessed this first hand with multiple versions of the PS4. Hopefully this isn't as much of a problem with PS5. If the PS5 isn't much better, or worse than PS4 when it comes to cooling noise levels, then SNY should get huge backlash for designing it like that and caring way to much about the visual aspect of it. Then again, it does kinda look a little like a plane wing, and I'd assume even more so from the rear, so sounding like a jet would just make too much sense in today's meme reality.

By "plenty of space" I meant to cool adequately, not that it's an empty void for no reason. I don't think it's too big. It's big for a console, like the XBSX, that seems fairly clear based on the educated guesses, but as long as it fits where it's supposed to, is reasonably quiet, and doesn't cost too much, then I don't see the problem. If anything, SNY kinda made things tougher on themselves by making PS4 too small when it launched. The PS4 should have been somewhere between the PS3 Slim and PS3 Phat. Now people have it in their minds that a SNY launch console should be that small, when that's not really the case, especially with the amount of horse flops crammed inside of these.

I'd guess the PS5 fan(s) takes up a considerable amount of room inside of there. I'd also guess it's much like PS4 where everything is sandwiched together in the middle, with thin heat sink plates covering the entire top and bottom like bread, allowing the airflow between them in the middle and the shell casing, to pull away the accumulated outer heat. I doubt that gap is very big, but enough to cool efficiently regardless. The ODD is likely separated and below the middle 'sandwich'.

SvennoJ said:
EricHiggin said:

Yup. Small rubber feet spread out a bit from the center would be necessary, but they would almost have to come off. I could see people who want to stand it up being really disappointed that the feet ruin the sleek smooth look if they are glued on. All I would guess is that there is a sizable fan in the corner where the vents are, and that the PSU is either long and really narrow at the back, or it's at the bottom (vertical) beside the ODD. You really don't want it too top heavy.

Maybe the simpler answer is just wait for a better aftermarket stand?

Instead of a stand in the middle, 2 strips that click on on either end with little rubber feet would do the trick. Or two little bars it can rest in like a cradle. Should be a lot more stable than a stand in the middle.

That would work too, but the center stand would be more simplistic as of now, while also easily looking the part. The more additional separated support feet/bars you add, the more it will take away from the sleek look, even if they can be removed when vertical. The smaller additional support feet would likely be much cheaper though, while a stand like what I mocked up would likely only work well horizontal if made as cheap as reasonably possible. A cheap plastic stand like this that also could be used when vertical may be asking for trouble, or considerably more expensive if made much more sturdy, than some smaller support feet/bars would though.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 14 June 2020

twintail said:
Fei-Hung said:
Anyone wise curious as to when we might start getting different colours?

Wonder how they will do limited editions on this one. Can you imagined a spidey themed one similar to the ps4 spidey one!

Probably not until the end of 2021. I saw an all black fan render that I think it super appealing, but I prefer the two tone controller that is available at launch

How many 1 dollar bills for a pink version?

I don't have a problem with console size personally; I never had an issue with the original Xbox or fat PS3 being bulky.

I admit, neither a PS5 nor a Series X are going to fit into my current TV cabinet, as it has just enough space for a Wii, a PS3, a 360, and a Wii U to fit comfortably side by side, and while the Wii U has been packed away now, that's obviously not enough free space for one of these beasts.

But heck, if I end up getting one I'll work something out; probably just plonk it on the floor next to the cabinet, may not look neat but who cares, I've never been a stickler for everything to look super organised. (Despite having clinical OCD, which unlike what the media portrays often has nothing to do with wanting things tidy)

While I find it interesting from a design point of view, size just isn't really a factor for me and certainly doesn't make a console less appealing.

curl-6 said:
I don't have a problem with console size personally; I never had an issue with the original Xbox or fat PS3 being bulky.

I admit, neither a PS5 nor a Series X are going to fit into my current TV cabinet, as it has just enough space for a Wii, a PS3, a 360, and a Wii U to fit comfortably side by side, and while the Wii U has been packed away now, that's obviously not enough free space for one of these beasts.

But heck, if I end up getting one I'll work something out; probably just plonk it on the floor next to the cabinet, may not look neat but who cares, I've never been a stickler for everything to look super organised (despite having clinical OCD, which unlike what the media portrays often has nothing to do with wanting things tidy) and I'm not trying to impress anyone.

Well you can alway pack the older consoles for a while until you figure a good placement for them. Or a small shelf.