By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you like the PS5 console design?

Do you like the PS5 console design?

Yes 132 55.23%

No 80 33.47%

On the fence 27 11.30%

Total:239
drkohler said:
EricHiggin said:

Now just to lay it down to the left, while flipping the ODD:

Nice stealth edit, but overheating incoming. The drive is way too close to the case (if it would fit in at all), this basically guarantees convection problems.

Seeing the unit in the unveil video, I'd never even thinking of putting it horizontally on a stand that looked like an ashtray. Every time the drive spins up, your unit is walking out of the room due to vibrations.

It's not like the ODD on the bottom means SNY can disregard cooling for it entirely. The ODD is going to require some level of cooling regardless for when it does run. Now while it may need more cooling if it sits on top, it's not like that can't be managed. I wouldn't be surprised if there are vent holes on the bottom of the console where the ODD is. That stand would help allow airflow into there while vertical, instead of having it sit right on the floor and get no airflow.

Everything inside the PS4 when horizontal gets cooled by the small fan on the front right/top front of the console, and that's because it creates negative pressure internally, causing air to get sucked in from the vents on both sides, allowing cool air to pass over everything, pulling away heat.

If the PS5 ODD can breathe while in it's revealed form, then there's no reason why it couldn't breathe by flipping it so that discs would still be read right side up with the ODD on top instead. I may not have lined it up exactly how it would fit, but it's close in general and gives you the idea of what it would look like.

The PS4 is like a sandwich with everything back to back and there is little room for airflow in there, and based on the PS5's design, at least what we can see from the outside, odds are it won't be all that much different.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 14 June 2020

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
SvennoJ said:

Yep, Without a stand the ps5 is about 39.3 cm tall / wide, ps3 phat was 32.5 cm tall / wide
And without a stand the ps5 is about 9.9 cm wide / high, ps3 phat was 9.8 cm wide / high.

It's hard to tell the depth of the ps5 since it's all curved at we don't have a proper top down picture.
ps5 is about 20% longer than ps3 phat, same thickness, probably a bit more depth to it

Crudely scaled on length difference

I found a better comparison.

I was worried about PS5 not being able to cool itself properly. I didn't realize it was that ABSOLUTELY MASSIVE! This thing should have no cooling issues at all. Well done Sony!

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Hands are symmetrical so symmetrical controls aren`t really a problem.

Yeah but when playing my left thumb is gonna be on the movement stick pretty much permanently while my right thumb will spend a lot of its time on the face buttons, so the way each thumb is used in games isn't symmetrical.

At the end of the day its really just a matter of preference.

Sure thing it is a matter of preference, and that is what make it ridiculous that after 4 gens that are still people demanding to change DS controller (don't remember seeing people this vocal to change Xbox controller to look like DS). Even more when some companies offer a xbox layout for PS so whoever minority likes it on PS can buy it.

Soundwave said:
Both systems are ugly, but its clear that AMD chips have problems with heat so both MS and Sony are doing what they can. This has been an issue for AMD for a long time too, to get similar performance, their chips often run hotter than Nvidia designs.

Bold claim.

EricHiggin said:
DonFerrari said:

Mark Cerny made it sure to mention they didn`t do a good job with prior PS cooling and noise. So I would imagine PS5 is a lot better.

PS4 certainly could have used a larger fan for the first couple of years anyway. It may have been able to get away with just that and been reasonably quiet. A longer and narrower heat sink with a curved indentation for a larger fan would have helped, along with making the outer shell a little larger overall for an even bigger fan, while also keeping the look they were going for.

3.5" internal HDD would have been much nicer and would have also fit if they had increased the fan and outer shell size a bit for PS4. Looks as though any extra cheap mass storage space will have to be external drives of some sort for PS5. My cabinet shelves will probably be just big enough to fit a PS5 horizontally, but an external drive won't fit unless it's under or on top of the console.

I think the PS5 design is really cool, different, and unique to consoles, though too modern and artsy, so I prefer my matte black PS4 1200 model. The XB1 was way to boring and plain, and while the XBSX is as well, it's PC tower style is interesting and mostly unique to consoles. The XB1S, XB1X, PS4 and Pro sat nicely in the middle, being fairly simple, more traditional, and tasteful.

I'd guess the PS5 fan is at the top where the vents are and I'd bet it's as big as the PS3 fan if not bigger. The console has plenty of space inside of it. With only NVMe SSD internal storage expansion, it's not like there's a 2.5" or 3.5" HDD taking up space in there. The bigger the fan, the slower it'll have to spin for the most part. As long as the fan is made of a reasonable quality, it's likely to be acceptably quiet.

Fan noise on PS4 is certainly noticeable, but in the end when I'm playing even on low volume it hardly is noticed. But if PS5 doesn't do a good job on the cooling then it would have been bad to mention it on the presentation since no one asked.

About the console being to big, I'll wait for it to be dissassembled and see if there is just to much empty space of if the cooler is to big. I don't think neither is going to be the case, I think it will be a case of big chip.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

Soundwave said:
Both systems are ugly, but its clear that AMD chips have problems with heat so both MS and Sony are doing what they can. This has been an issue for AMD for a long time too, to get similar performance, their chips often run hotter than Nvidia designs.

Bold claim.

AMD's GPUs from the last 5 or 6 years use more power than Nvidia's counterparts, that's simply true.

What we still don't know is how does RDNA2 behaves, but it's quite obvious that both Sony and MSoft have put special effort in the cooling aspect of their consoles, which implies that they'll use quite a fair bit of power and the chips will run hot.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
DonFerrari said:

Bold claim.

AMD's GPUs from the last 5 or 6 years use more power than Nvidia's counterparts, that's simply true.

What we still don't know is how does RDNA2 behaves, but it's quite obvious that both Sony and MSoft have put special effort in the cooling aspect of their consoles, which implies that they'll use quite a fair bit of power and the chips will run hot.

To use more power to have problems with heating a lot is a good leap.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
SvennoJ said:

Unfortunately the sides are curved in both directions, so it would be rocking back and forth as well or list to one side depending on where the center of mass is (or cables tugging on it) Got to add some rubber nobs in the corners to level it out and make it stable.

Perhaps the psu is on the far left (bottom), heaviest part, it might even stay horizontal without any help :)

Yup. Small rubber feet spread out a bit from the center would be necessary, but they would almost have to come off. I could see people who want to stand it up being really disappointed that the feet ruin the sleek smooth look if they are glued on. All I would guess is that there is a sizable fan in the corner where the vents are, and that the PSU is either long and really narrow at the back, or it's at the bottom (vertical) beside the ODD. You really don't want it too top heavy.

Maybe the simpler answer is just wait for a better aftermarket stand?

Instead of a stand in the middle, 2 strips that click on on either end with little rubber feet would do the trick. Or two little bars it can rest in like a cradle. Should be a lot more stable than a stand in the middle.

DonFerrari said:
JEMC said:

Not really. If the console uses miore power, it generates more heat. That's why you need a beefier cooling system to take care of it.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
DonFerrari said:

Not really. If the console uses miore power, it generates more heat. That's why you need a beefier cooling system to take care of it.

Again to use more power and generate more heat to have PROBLEMS with heat is the leap.

yeah hoping they bring out an all black version (an artist mock-up below) -

DonFerrari said:
JEMC said:

Again to use more power and generate more heat to have PROBLEMS with heat is the leap.

Neither Soundwave nor I have said that the consoles have heat problems, only that AMD has a problem making products, GPUs in this case, that generate a lot of heat because they're power hungry. And then he also said that the PS5 is ugly, which is not the question here, and that both Sony and MSoft have had to do what they could with that. Which means, greatly improve the cooling system of both consoles.

The consoles won't have a problems with heat because they've already adjusted their cooling solutions to take care of it. That's all Soundwave said in his post. I fail to see the leap you're talking about.