By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Sonys Play Station is the standard for home consoles since 1994 ?

Pyro as Bill said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Music players are definitely what built the company.  But by the time Playstation launched, all of their electronics were known as being top notch.  Today, it is kind of a disadvantage outside of video games, because they usually have some of the most expensive electronics too.  That doesn't change the fact that Sony is seen as a premium brand though.

Their electronics were top notch and when I said nobody cared about their TVs/VCRs I meant, as much as the 11-30 demographic would have wanted them most would choose the cheaper option assuming they had a choice in the matter.

Walkman and PS1 were the exception. There was always a budget Walkman and the PS1 was the cheapest console available with the cheapest games and it could be easily pirated and also had the value of being CD/VCD player. It also had much more accessible controls and was arguably a better successor to the SNES than the N64. 

The Sony name was an advantage to them starting out with the Playstation.  Remember Phillips had their own CD-i system about the same time.  It was a piece of crap.  SNK?  Who are they?  Having Sony's name on the system means it has some respect and name recognition even when they didn't have any history on the console market.  

Sony's name was also an advantage with PS3 vs XBox 360.  The latter console was known for the RROD.  Sony is known for quality electronics.  That branding has always helped them.  That may not make a difference with everyone, but for some people it matters a lot.

Around the Network

Next thread should be about why a gen only starts when Sony says so.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Their electronics were top notch and when I said nobody cared about their TVs/VCRs I meant, as much as the 11-30 demographic would have wanted them most would choose the cheaper option assuming they had a choice in the matter.

Walkman and PS1 were the exception. There was always a budget Walkman and the PS1 was the cheapest console available with the cheapest games and it could be easily pirated and also had the value of being CD/VCD player. It also had much more accessible controls and was arguably a better successor to the SNES than the N64. 

The Sony name was an advantage to them starting out with the Playstation.  Remember Phillips had their own CD-i system about the same time.  It was a piece of crap.  SNK?  Who are they?  Having Sony's name on the system means it has some respect and name recognition even when they didn't have any history on the console market.  

Sony's name was also an advantage with PS3 vs XBox 360.  The latter console was known for the RROD.  Sony is known for quality electronics.  That branding has always helped them.  That may not make a difference with everyone, but for some people it matters a lot.

Moderately so I would say. The N64 was outselling the Playstation quite easily at launch/post-launch in the US and Japan (in Japan the Saturn was even outselling the Playstation for a good while). So that "Sony brand" really wasn't doing all that much. It was only until people started to realize the N64 had a serious drought problem that the pendelum swung the other way. 

It wasn't until Nintendo chose cartridges that basically disrupted the entire ecosystem of Nintendo systems that Sony was able to gain any real traction in the market by basically opening up the purse strings to keep games off the Saturn. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 08 June 2020

DonFerrari said:
You can't ever make a thread like that and not get the Sony got lucky 3 of 4 gens and the like.

Well, you can look forward to an upcoming generation where Sony can prove if they can win without luck.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Because from PS1 and up until now, Playstation is the most coherent brand.
Any Sony console iteration is simply an evolution of the previous one, they have the same name and the right price, often the best performance and always full third-party support. You know exactly what you will get.

Nintendo always changes too much from a console iteration to the next, first party games are top class but third-party developers do not support them in a good way, often because hardware specs are inferior to the competitors or because the console is too particular.

Microsoft (in my opinion) is just redundant, not offering that new special killer feature or exclusive game that makes the difference. They share too much with Windows PCs so it happens that is more convenient to have a PC build with Steam for just playing Xbox games.

SEGA would have been a much more interesting competitor than Microsoft, thanks to their original games, Arcades and innovations they usually had with their console's hardware.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 26 June 2020

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DonFerrari said:
You can't ever make a thread like that and not get the Sony got lucky 3 of 4 gens and the like.

Well, you can look forward to an upcoming generation where Sony can prove if they can win without luck.

I'm sure Sony will luck out again.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

108? When did the PS1 sell an additional 6 million units?

Anyway, it’s simple enough. They did the right thing at the right time, making a good console right at the point when gaming became mainstream and actually popular at all in Europe. They were smart to catch the right wave when it came along, while leaving Nintendo with an image of being something from ‘yesterday’. They aren’t impervious though as the 7th gen showed. I don’t think their brand is as synonymous with ‘gaming’ anymore as it was before in North America, and it’s already very far from it in home-region Japan. I’d still bet on PS5 winning overal, but it wouldn’t surprise me either if PS5 has more of a problem with XSX than PS4 had with XBO.

Just wanted to say this is one of the best threads I see here in a long time. Very interesting discussion. As an old vuy that started in the atari era I will post my opinion here later as I saw it first hand happenning.

It's a great Home Console with amazing 3rd party support and incredible first party games. I owned 2 PSX, one PS2, 2 PS3, PS4 and PS4 Pro. Now I'm waiting for the PS5 reveal; damn Sony, please.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

They made a lot of good decisions at the key point where the market was set to expand and the competition was messing things up for themselves. A large part of their success ever since is inertia from their successes in the mid-90's.

Last edited by Salnax - on 08 June 2020

Love and tolerate.