By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us Part II - Review Thread (MC: 93 / OC: 93)

Tagged games:

Carl said:
Have any of y'all tried Grounded?

Much different than Survival?

I am avoiding it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
KratosLives said:

I actually found the first game darker. It showcased things not seen before in a game and was shocking. Witnessing innocent people get slaughtered, cannibalism , suicide, near rape, .. The sequel I was able to understand because of past actions of certain characters and events and those of self defense. I initially thought the first was better till I replayed it after the second.  Sequel had more encounters, better gameplay. Joel and Ellie's moments I thought were better in the sequel. Ellie was the driving force in the first game, she made the conversations and brought interest, but it was small talk. The flashback segments in the sequel was better than any moment in the first game in my opinion.  Also sequel had a better ending. I was felt confused after the first game, due to Joel's actions, and the way It ended. I always did love tlou, and it's greatest is when played on grounded. But I always thought of uncharted 2 as naughtydogs best game and greatest success. Not sure if uncharted 4 topped it, but possibly tlou2.

Now this is quite a surprising opinion.  Can you elaborate on your confusion with Part 1?

I didn't agree or sit right with Joel slaughtering everyone at the end, including the surgeon and Marlene. I just had a weird feeling on the inside. And the way it ended with Joel lying to ellie at the end, and the look on Ellie's face with the scene cutting to black and the music playing, I was left in disarray. Joel didn't have to kill the surgeon, or Marlene. Sure Marlene may come after ellie again, but so be it.. Marlene was never going to kill Joel. Just seeing Joel so ruthless like that, it kind of affected the build of the game towards the end. I loved the game and platinumed it , played through several times, but the that ending never sits right with me.

KratosLives said:
Azuren said:

Well, it wouldn't be the first time the critics have been out of touch with what gamers actually want, but I would hope they wouldn't be so out of touch that they would vote what is currently the most divisive game of 2020 in as GOTY.

Well they were out of touch when death stranding didn't win game of year. That's because they were scared of the backlash due to people crying " walking simulator".  If they don't care about some backlash, tlou2 would easily win it, and almost every category it fits into to. 

We're not going to agree, then, since I didn't think much of either game.

DonFerrari said:
Azuren said:

Well, it wouldn't be the first time the critics have been out of touch with what gamers actually want, but I would hope they wouldn't be so out of touch that they would vote what is currently the most divisive game of 2020 in as GOTY.

And all the divisiviness is about one silly aspect. So certainly on the whole pack haven't launch a better game this year, and I say that having enjoyed and thinking it was much prettier and funnier Ghost of Tsushima.

If you think it was about just one silly aspect, then I don't believe you really understood what the backlash was about. 

BraLoD said:
Azuren said:

And I don't see any reason they wouldn't give the GOTY to the, by far, best game of this year, that's right now is TLoU2.

The reason is because it was divisive? There were a large number of people who didn't like it, for one reason or another? It'd also be pretty absurd to witness GoT rank as one of the all-time highest user-rated games on Metacritic and then toss it to a game so polarizing that it couldn't break a 6.0 userscore.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

coolbeans said:
KratosLives said:

I didn't agree or sit right with Joel slaughtering everyone at the end, including the surgeon and Marlene. I just had a weird feeling on the inside. And the way it ended with Joel lying to ellie at the end, and the look on Ellie's face with the scene cutting to black and the music playing, I was left in disarray. Joel didn't have to kill the surgeon, or Marlene. Sure Marlene may come after ellie again, but so be it.. Marlene was never going to kill Joel. Just seeing Joel so ruthless like that, it kind of affected the build of the game towards the end. I loved the game and platinumed it , played through several times, but the that ending never sits right with me.

I see.  Aside from your assessment of the surgeon (what was his name in Pt. II again?) & Marlene, I can agree with your recounting of events.  For starters, there's just no way Marlene would've said everything's even stevens if she was allowed to live; that's not how this world operates, especially for the leader of the Fireflies seeing her group turn to rubble from one man.

I appreciate the perspective, but what's funny is everything you're retelling is what I love about it.

Joel shouldn't have killed the surgeon period, at all. It was selfish and he didn't take into consideration his family and so on. And as for Marlene, he should have just left her and dealt with her later if she was to come back for him. But to me it was pretty low of Joel to finish her like that. From their perspective they had a cause of a cure, it's not like she was bad. Joel could have fought her like a man if she managed to get to them some time in the future, but he ended her life like that, just didn't seem right to me. 

Jaicee said:
KratosLives said:

Well they were out of touch when death stranding didn't win game of year. That's because they were scared of the backlash due to people crying " walking simulator".  If they don't care about some backlash, tlou2 would easily win it, and almost every category it fits into to. 

DonFerrari said:
Let`s celebrate the thread reaching 1000 posts.

These points illustrate why I think The Last of Us Part II deserves to win Game of the Year awards and would in a more just world than we likely have. Whether you loved this game or hated it, the fact is that it's the most discussed game of 2020. It currently has more than 72,000 favorable user reviews on Metacritic -- the most of any game in history by far -- and also 62,000 negative user reviews on MC -- also the most of any game so far in history by far. Switch over to the user reviews for any other major game released this year, be it Ghost of Tsushima, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, the Final Fantasy VII remake, or even Paper Mario: The Origami King, or try and talk about Cyberpunk 2077 on the internet and you'll find yourself pointed to comparisons to The Last of Us Part II. Is the game selling better than The Last of Us Part II? Is its average user score higher than that of The Last of Us Part II? Are there philosophical design similarities to The Last of Us Part II? People care, passionately! Every game now exists relative to this one. How many other games' review prediction threads have wound up getting over 1,000 posts here?

POINT: Whether you loved it or hated it (and if the user scores are to believed, you probably did love it or hate it; not many people had mixed feelings), you can't dispute that it's the most impactful game of the year; the one people care about the most one way or the other. That's a real argument for Game of the Year status in its own right, I think, because its a real measure of this game's unique cultural power.

Around the Network

Just think of all the classic movies of the past that were decisive and hated and went on to be viewed as masterpieces later. Tlou2 will get the same treatment.

KratosLives said:
coolbeans said:

I see.  Aside from your assessment of the surgeon (what was his name in Pt. II again?) & Marlene, I can agree with your recounting of events.  For starters, there's just no way Marlene would've said everything's even stevens if she was allowed to live; that's not how this world operates, especially for the leader of the Fireflies seeing her group turn to rubble from one man.

I appreciate the perspective, but what's funny is everything you're retelling is what I love about it.

Joel shouldn't have killed the surgeon period, at all. It was selfish and he didn't take into consideration his family and so on. And as for Marlene, he should have just left her and dealt with her later if she was to come back for him. But to me it was pretty low of Joel to finish her like that. From their perspective they had a cause of a cure, it's not like she was bad. Joel could have fought her like a man if she managed to get to them some time in the future, but he ended her life like that, just didn't seem right to me. 

The way it happened fits with Joel's character it would have been out of character to have let marlene live, in TLOUS even his own brother had cut ties with him over his dog eat dog no matter the consequence attitude and even bill when talking about owing Joel a favor said or what you would  beat me up and take it anyway, so here was a man who had been emotionally closed off since his daughters death and now Tess who seemed to be the only one to have any kind of bond with him is also dead. finally has Ellie break that barrier down, so you see a man using all that single minded ruthlessness honed over twenty years  to protect Ellies life, btw didn't the head surgeon attack Joel with a scalpel? .

Last edited by mjk45 - on 25 August 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

That's awesome. And the truth!

mjk45 said:
KratosLives said:

The way it happened fits with Joel's character it would have been out of character to have let marlene live, in TLOUS even his own brother had cut ties with him over his dog eat dog no matter the consequence attitude and even bill when talking about owing Joel a favor said or what you would  beat me up and take it anyway, so here was a man who had been emotionally closed off since his daughters death and now Tess who seemed to be the only one to have any kind of bond with him is also dead. finally has Ellie break that barrier down, so you see a man using all that single minded ruthlessness honed over twenty years  to protect Ellies life, btw didn't the head surgeon attack Joel with a scalpel? .

I understand what you're saying, but still, Joel putting on the heroic act throughout the game then doing what he did in the end was upsetting. The surgeon was holding the scalpel in self defense. Joel didn't have to kill, he could have taken ellie while not killing him. Then came that about ending that wasn't concluded, I was starring at the screen like noooooo.

Spoiler ahead! They say Joel killed innocent people to survive, but it's never implied he blatantly murdered people just to survive. He may have asked someone for food or supplies, they said no, he got into a fight , turned ugly and he happened to kill them , as fighting meant survival. I doubt he ambushed innocent men and woman from the corner like hunters in tlou1.