By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

Jurassic Park 2 on the Super Nintendo
Chrono Cross...I enjoyed it but come on Chrono Trigger was my favorite game ever.
Tales of Symphonia 2....again loved the first game, 2nd disappointed.
Hellblade was the most recent game to disappoint me.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah really, for all the reasons I listed. It did have a strong atmosphere, I will give it that, but the actual process of playing it felt like a chore to me.

Killzone 3 in my opinion is how 2 should've been; more varied in visuals and gameplay, and much more responsive controls.

I generally don't like fps, but enjoyed KZ2 (not much KZ3) and though KZSF was good enough. Perhaps it was due to the story.

Don't even get me started on Shadowfall, I thought that one was even worse than 2. XD

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
MasonADC said:
God of war 2018. People were hyping it to be the next master piece but it was a mediocre game all the way through. After it got those really good reviews I thought I had to get it. 6/10.

I AM with you on this , bought it and everything i was thinking was " i want to finish it hope the story is short cause this is Boring as fuck and kid is annoying..." Dropped it, picked it again last week and Boy this game is overhyped as fuck. I just want this franchise to fucking end already and Sony santa monica moves on ...

Huge god of war franchise fan here.

The game was beautiful, amazing story and characters. But it wasnt fun, at least for me. GoW was always fun, would make me laugh sometimes due to Kratos rage and etc.

This one was like, Kratos sjw mode and I didnt like it. Wasnt fun. Didnt like they tried to make a king of open world game, the loot mechanics were 100% unnecessary and the viking theme is much less interesting than greece.

Later on I played Jedi Fallen Order and boy that was really fun all the way through.

You all seem to forget how ridiculously overhyped Destiny, Watch Dogs and Titanfall were back then in 2014. I literally mean the most absurd overhyping I've ever seen so far in my life. I know that some time has passed and a lot may not remember at all but good lord those games were overhyped. Maybe it was because at that time the new generation consoles were not even a year old and everything looked promising.

To sumarize everything: Ubisoft sold WD as the GTA V killer with all that hacking stuff and the most advanced graphics ever. The game didn't look good at all.

Bungie sold Destiny as the game that would forever change FPS and when the game released they kept the review embargo one week longer so sales wouldn't be affected. Reviews came out like 5 days later and were mostly 6s and 7s.

Titanfall was good but was sold also as a genre re-definer and ended being another shooter of the bunch (of good shooters).

Last edited by camilosanchez16 - on 10 June 2020

Around the Network
camilosanchez16 said:

You all seem to forget how ridiculously overhyped Destiny, Watch Dogs and Titanfall were back then in 2014. I literally mean the most absurd overhyping I've ever seen so far in my life. I know that some time has passed and a lot may not remember at all but good lord those games were overhyped. Maybe it was because at that time the new generation consoles were not even a year old and everything looked promising.

To sumarize everything: Ubisoft sold WD as the GTA V killer with all that hacking stuff and the most advanced graphics ever. The game didn't look good at all.

Bungie sold Destiny as the game that would forever change FPS and when the game released they kept the review embargo one week longer so sales wouldn't be affected. Reviews came out like 5 days later and were mostly 6s and 7s.

Titanfall was good but was sold also as a genre re-definer and ended being another shooter of the bunch (of good shooters).

Very true; I admit, I'd forgotten about all three thanks to their sheer vacuous mediocrity.

Each one was drummed up through mountainous advertising as the first true killer app of the new generation, and each was overwhelming bland and hollow. 

DonFerrari said:
COKTOE said:

I was playing it in 2017, and clearly remember the guide saying the player could use cheats, like infinite ammo, and special "one shot" weapons. Or someting like that. Soooo, I just went to the same guide, and it's been updated.

It says "5/10 difficulty if you have the Digital version/do everything legit but 2.5/10 if you have the retail version and use the many available exploits"....So apparently the digital version is different. That's insane. Very weird. I've never seen a difference in trophies between digital and physical, ever.

I have the physical ( and digital too actually ), but whatever. Doubt I'll be going back to get the plat.

From what I remember the infinite ammo and the like works similar to the previous uncharted games you can only use them on the difficult you have already beaten. The only "cheat" I used was on the last boss to do a "flaweless" fight required for one trophy (that was on chapter select, easy, after doing everything else on the game).

But if there was differences between versions that is bizarre (perhaps that had to do with updates and the digital it already being installed while the retail you could ignore).

NightlyPoe said:

Regardless, you're repeating the tropes.  Maybe it started started at the lunch table at school or whatever, but the lazy digs remain the same.

I know one handle is for the D-pad and the other is for the stick.  It still looks like you need three hands.

Oh, I see.  So your complaint is aesthetics.  Even though you specifically said that it was a problem that you didn't have three hands.

You're backtracking.  And, regardless, complaining about aesthetics doesn't help out your case.

And the controller really does suck balls.  It's the worst controller I've ever actually used.  You may love it.  Fine.  I hate it.  And this all goes back to Mario 64, which is a game I really, really hate.  I can't separate Mario 64 from the controller.  The game seems made to showcase the controller.  I hate the game and I hate the controller.

Oh, and admitted bias that has nothing to do with the controller.  Okay then.

Can't say I'm sure what point you're making.

That it isn't pratical to not be able to use analog stick and the d-pad "at once" like we do with any controller today.

I can't recall that many games that even utilized the d-pad, let alone required use of the d-pad and analog stick at the same time.. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if the inclusion of the d-pad on the n-64 controller was just nintendo hedging their bets, in case the analog stick wouldn't be well received, or if 2D-games happened to remain popular.

NightlyPoe said:
DonFerrari said:

That it isn't pratical to not be able to use analog stick and the d-pad "at once" like we do with any controller today.

What's not practical about it?  All the d-pad does in most modern 3D games is provide an extra set of buttons.  A nice luxury to have, but hardly a necessity.

Especially back in the 90s.  My experience with the DualShock on the original Playstation was that the movement controls were generally cloned to both the analog stick and d-pad anyway.  I'm sure a few games took advantage of both, but for the most part it didn't even make a difference for most of the generation.

Still no controller today expect you to not be able to use both at the same time and I have played several that d-pad is needed fast (Sony even was mocked with the crab grip because of it). In God of War per example or FFVIIR you need to use the d-pad continuously, similar to how you also have to use the left analog continuosly even though you also have to use the face buttons.

Not even Nintendo kept a design that you can't use d-pad and analog at will.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

camilosanchez16 said:

For all it is worth I liked WD and it was a pretty game at launch. And I'm not found of open world. A friend lending me and not needing to pay for it may have helped (similar with The Order).

dan_banan said:
DonFerrari said:

From what I remember the infinite ammo and the like works similar to the previous uncharted games you can only use them on the difficult you have already beaten. The only "cheat" I used was on the last boss to do a "flaweless" fight required for one trophy (that was on chapter select, easy, after doing everything else on the game).

But if there was differences between versions that is bizarre (perhaps that had to do with updates and the digital it already being installed while the retail you could ignore).

I can't recall that many games that even utilized the d-pad, let alone required use of the d-pad and analog stick at the same time.. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if the inclusion of the d-pad on the n-64 controller was just nintendo hedging their bets, in case the analog stick wouldn't be well received, or if 2D-games happened to remain popular.

If you couldn't use both at the same time of course very fell games would be made to use both, but they existed. Right now I remember Syphon Filter needing both in some interaction, like at one point you used select to change weapons but you could only go one way, then you could use the d-pad and go back and forth, with up being to lantern and down for health or thing like that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

mZuzek said:
psychicscubadiver said:

Metroid Other M: This is the game that made me stop pre-ordering games. We were fresh off the end of the Prime Trilogy and so hyped to hear that Ninja Thoery was making the next one. The controls were decent, the gameplay was mediocre, and the story was awful.

The "hold your controller sideways but then awkwardly let go of one hand to hold it vertically to use the pointer" controls were decent?!

Shrug. I only played it for a few hours before putting it down in disgust. I don't recall the controls bothering or impressing me at the time so they're 'decent' in my mind. Maybe if I'd have played longer they'd have bothered me, but who knows.