By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

Metroid Other M: This is the game that made me stop pre-ordering games. We were fresh off the end of the Prime Trilogy and so hyped to hear that Ninja Thoery was making the next one. The controls were decent, the gameplay was mediocre, and the story was awful.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The worst part of all of this is actually the gaslighting.  I still hear people to this day trying to convince me that these are good games.  No, they aren't!  I've played them, and I know they suck!  Morrowind is probably the worst, because it's turned into Skyrim love.  I look at the reviews for Skyrim, "This game is great.  It's just like Morrowind."  Dammit!  So many people think Elder Scrolls are good games.  They have been gaslighted.  (At least this is how it feels to me.)  It sucks, because these games sell, and so more sucky games end up getting made.  Zelda actually got a course correction with Breath of the Wild, but Elder Scrolls and 3D Mario are still being made unchecked.  And these games end up influencing other games, so in the end there are fewer games out there which I actually like playing.  It sucks.

Have you ever considered that it's not 'gaslighting' and just people like games you don't? I can't speak for Morrowind because I've never played it, but I loved Wind Waker and Mario 64 as a kid. There are plenty of popular games that I don't enjoy, like the entire GTA series or Civilization series, but I don't assume people are lying to me or have been tricked into enjoying them. I just assume I enjoy different things.

Around the Network

Bloodborne, supposed to be one of the best games of the generation, I hate this type of game, of die repeat die repeat. 

I'd have said Witcher 3 which is boring, but at least the game isn't bad, I like it, just too much talk, not enough gameplay.

NightlyPoe said:
curl-6 said:

THANK YOU.

I don't think I'll ever forgive Wind Waker for butchering the Zelda series so horribly. Thank fuck they made Twilight Princess afterwards which returned Zelda to what it should be.

I forgot about Wind Waker.  To this day I scratch my head with the number of people who consider it one of the best Zelda games.  It seems obvious to me that the game was rushed to market and suffers from a major lack of polish and painfully obvious cut content (replaced by the infamously repetitive fetch quest).  And I really was never a big fan of the sailing motif.  Especially at the beginning, as I recall pointing my boat in the direction of one of the first objectives and just changing the channel.

It's a bit of a shame too, because, outside of Link's poor character model (sorry, first impressions of Link were valid), they really did nail the presentation and it has one of the most innovative storylines in the series.

I will push back on Liquid Laser's comments about the N64 controller though.  That baby was ergonomic bliss.

It may just be me.  I was born with a deformity where I only have 2 hands.

psychicscubadiver said:

Metroid Other M: This is the game that made me stop pre-ordering games. We were fresh off the end of the Prime Trilogy and so hyped to hear that Ninja Thoery was making the next one. The controls were decent, the gameplay was mediocre, and the story was awful.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The worst part of all of this is actually the gaslighting.  I still hear people to this day trying to convince me that these are good games.  No, they aren't!  I've played them, and I know they suck!  Morrowind is probably the worst, because it's turned into Skyrim love.  I look at the reviews for Skyrim, "This game is great.  It's just like Morrowind."  Dammit!  So many people think Elder Scrolls are good games.  They have been gaslighted.  (At least this is how it feels to me.)  It sucks, because these games sell, and so more sucky games end up getting made.  Zelda actually got a course correction with Breath of the Wild, but Elder Scrolls and 3D Mario are still being made unchecked.  And these games end up influencing other games, so in the end there are fewer games out there which I actually like playing.  It sucks.

Have you ever considered that it's not 'gaslighting' and just people like games you don't? I can't speak for Morrowind because I've never played it, but I loved Wind Waker and Mario 64 as a kid. There are plenty of popular games that I don't enjoy, like the entire GTA series or Civilization series, but I don't assume people are lying to me or have been tricked into enjoying them. I just assume I enjoy different things.

Everyone has different tastes.  People are free to like whatever they want.  Gaslighting is about lies being spread like they are the truth.  What I am saying is about more than just taste. 

Some games are pretending to be something they are not.  It becomes more obvious though when the imposter game is put up against the real thing.  Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros were both put on the DS.  The market chose 2D Mario by a landslide.  This happened again on the Wii with the big budget Mario Galaxy and the smaller budget NSMB Wii.  2D Mario sold more by a landslide.  But if you go online everyone will tell you that 3D Mario is the "real Mario".  That is gaslighting.  In fact 2D Mario came first and is far more popular.  The real Mario is actually 2D Mario.

I am saying the same thing about the other games.  Wind Waker is not real Zelda.  It's a spinoff posing as the real thing.  You can like the game if you want, but it's just not the real thing.  I like Dragon Quest Builders and Final Fantasy Tactics, but I know these are spinoff games. 

The Elder Scrolls gaslights the whole RPG genre.  No one used the term JRPG in the NES days when Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were first made.  There were plenty of RPGs made by Western developers on PC, but no one used the term JRPG.  They started using this when Elder Scrolls became popular.  First they invent the term JRPG and then they tell you why JRPGs suck.  ("Turn based RPGs shouldn't even be made anymore.")  That is gaslighting.

Again, I want to reiterate that your tastes are not wrong.  You like Wind Waker, and I don't.  If that were the only issue then I would have no problem.  But when someone is gaslighting, they will tell you your tastes are wrong.  Go a few posts above this one and you'll see a guy saying it is my fault that I don't like Morrowind.  That is part of the gaslighting.  He may even be very authentic when he says this.  The most effective gaslighters have been gaslighted themselves.  They spread lies authentically believing they are the truth.  But they also need you to validate their lies.  I have to like The Elder Scrolls or it's my fault.  If I like The Elder Scrolls then it validates the gaslighting.

SpongeBob games: I and my cats expected more anchovies!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

MGS5. Words can't describe how disappointing the game ended up being. This is someone who completed big boss ranking on MGS1-4.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 08 June 2020

GoOnKid said:

The Last of Us. I played it years after the hype and I thought it was insanely boring, full of bad gameplay, superdumb enemy AI and a pointless story with an immensely unsatisfying ending. I really don't get what's so special about this game.

This is actually the first time I read negative criticism against God of War, I thought everybody loves that game? I have a copy myself, just haven't played it yet. Now I'm even more curios how much I'm going to enjoy it.

On the other hand, I understand why people don't like the closed levels of Final Fantasy XIII, but aside from that the game is excellent in my eyes, honestly. I'm replaying it at the moment and it's pure joy.

Bolded: My brother from another mother!!! I also don't get all the hate FFXIII gets. It's an awesome game. I think it's more of a pose thing.

On topic: Metal Geat Solid 5, I absolutely loved the first part of the Phantom Pain, it's near perfect, but the second part... I get depressed everytime I think about what that game could've been if Konami and Kojima didn't had their falling out.

Snoopy said:

MGS5. Words can't describe how disappointing the game ended up being. This is someone who completed big boss ranking on MGS1-4.

Same. After blowing through the "demo" but not dedicating a lot of time, I felt like MGS5 could recapture the magic that I personally thought was lost in MGS4. MGS5 wound up being the first Metal Gear game in the history of Metal Gear games, aside from the PSP card games, that I didn't at least finish once.  

Oh boy.. So many hyped games that disappointed me.

-Duke Nukem Forever. I can't believe they released it a vaporware in 2010s late as hell when many PS3/XBox360 games were pushed to the limit.

-Aliens Colonial Marines. For fuck sake gearbox again, the money you took from the publisher went to Borderlands huh?

-Mighty No.9. What the fuck, Keiji Inafune.. That was like hype train had enormously accident by jumping off into a sludgy ooze shit lake while tons of Mega Man fans got drowned to death, shame on you!

-Metal Gear Solid V. LOL first time making open world genre? Especially the true ending, GG Kojima!

-Deus Ex Mankind Divided. ONE BOSS??? JUST ONE SINGLE BOSS IN ENTIRE GAME???

-Halo 5. Seriously? Less Master Chief missions and pathetic 3.5 hours campaign?

-Fallout 76. No comment.

-Red Dead Redemption II. I'm tired of this ultra realistic mechanism bullshit, clunkiest game i ever played.

-Kingdom Hearts III. Ehhh nothing special, same old traditional KH game and Nomura, please stop crying because of your cancelled FF13 Versus.

-Resident Evil 6. :facepalm: They overadded too many QTE, cliche or comedian cutscenes, broken AI and a bio T-Rex? What?

-Metroid Other M. They made Samus Aran a bitch, nuff said.

That's enough for me, i'll stop here.

DragonRouge said:
GoOnKid said:

The Last of Us. I played it years after the hype and I thought it was insanely boring, full of bad gameplay, superdumb enemy AI and a pointless story with an immensely unsatisfying ending. I really don't get what's so special about this game.

This is actually the first time I read negative criticism against God of War, I thought everybody loves that game? I have a copy myself, just haven't played it yet. Now I'm even more curios how much I'm going to enjoy it.

On the other hand, I understand why people don't like the closed levels of Final Fantasy XIII, but aside from that the game is excellent in my eyes, honestly. I'm replaying it at the moment and it's pure joy.

Bolded: My brother from another mother!!! I also don't get all the hate FFXIII gets. It's an awesome game. I think it's more of a pose thing.

On topic: Metal Geat Solid 5, I absolutely loved the first part of the Phantom Pain, it's near perfect, but the second part... I get depressed everytime I think about what that game could've been if Konami and Kojima didn't had their falling out.

I can agree with this too.  Once you get past those first 20 hours then FF13 becomes extremely fun.  I consider those first 20 hours to be inexcusable though.  If I could somehow take the first 20 hours out of the game, then I'd probably put it into my top 50 games of all time.  For me it's like night and day.