Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

DragonRouge said:
GoOnKid said:

The Last of Us. I played it years after the hype and I thought it was insanely boring, full of bad gameplay, superdumb enemy AI and a pointless story with an immensely unsatisfying ending. I really don't get what's so special about this game.

This is actually the first time I read negative criticism against God of War, I thought everybody loves that game? I have a copy myself, just haven't played it yet. Now I'm even more curios how much I'm going to enjoy it.

On the other hand, I understand why people don't like the closed levels of Final Fantasy XIII, but aside from that the game is excellent in my eyes, honestly. I'm replaying it at the moment and it's pure joy.

Bolded: My brother from another mother!!! I also don't get all the hate FFXIII gets. It's an awesome game. I think it's more of a pose thing.

On topic: Metal Geat Solid 5, I absolutely loved the first part of the Phantom Pain, it's near perfect, but the second part... I get depressed everytime I think about what that game could've been if Konami and Kojima didn't had their falling out.

I can agree with this too.  Once you get past those first 20 hours then FF13 becomes extremely fun.  I consider those first 20 hours to be inexcusable though.  If I could somehow take the first 20 hours out of the game, then I'd probably put it into my top 50 games of all time.  For me it's like night and day.

Around the Network

Oblivion

Holy shit did this game ever ruin the Morrowwind formula! They cut out or severely weakened so many skills from Morrowwind like Acrobatics, Levitating, Sneak Attacking With Daggers, Speachcraft, Medium Armor, Spears, and Mysticism.

The level scaling was busted, and could literally break the game. At Kvatch if you are too high level you'll face an army of insanely overpowered Daedra that you can't beat without spending two hours baiting each one out one at a time, and retreating. The game uses attributes to determine how well you do in different tasks, but allows you to pick far less skills than Morrowwind. The result is that you don't have enough skills to level your attributes up properly. So unless you pick a character build that only focuses on two attributes you wind up being high level with low attributes. And since the level scaling formula just auto-buffs the attributes of NPC characters they always have high combat skills and attributes. This forces you to play as severely limited character builds.

Then there's the weak ass quests, generic dungeons, randomized loot, pathetic Deadric Artifacts, and completely OP Alchemy.

Oh, and the graphics are just hideous even for their time. Whenever people fawn over some new graphical tech, I just remind them of "Bloom", and "A new facial animation system". The game just smacks of "so high tech, it overreaches what the tech at the time can do and fails".

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I can agree with this too.  Once you get past those first 20 hours then FF13 becomes extremely fun.  I consider those first 20 hours to be inexcusable though.  If I could somehow take the first 20 hours out of the game, then I'd probably put it into my top 50 games of all time.  For me it's like night and day.

Yes, it's a flawed game, but great nevertheless. Those flaws get blown out or proportion for some reason.

DragonRouge said:
GoOnKid said:

The Last of Us. I played it years after the hype and I thought it was insanely boring, full of bad gameplay, superdumb enemy AI and a pointless story with an immensely unsatisfying ending. I really don't get what's so special about this game.

This is actually the first time I read negative criticism against God of War, I thought everybody loves that game? I have a copy myself, just haven't played it yet. Now I'm even more curios how much I'm going to enjoy it.

On the other hand, I understand why people don't like the closed levels of Final Fantasy XIII, but aside from that the game is excellent in my eyes, honestly. I'm replaying it at the moment and it's pure joy.

Bolded: My brother from another mother!!! I also don't get all the hate FFXIII gets. It's an awesome game. I think it's more of a pose thing.

On topic: Metal Geat Solid 5, I absolutely loved the first part of the Phantom Pain, it's near perfect, but the second part... I get depressed everytime I think about what that game could've been if Konami and Kojima didn't had their falling out.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

The_Liquid_Laser said:
NightlyPoe said:

I will push back on Liquid Laser's comments about the N64 controller though.  That baby was ergonomic bliss.

It may just be me.  I was born with a deformity where I only have 2 hands.

Ah, so you've chosen the lazy internet response.  Which is, of course, utterly invalidated by the fact that zero games in the N64 library ask you to play with 3 hands.

The N64 controller was designed for dual use to make both the analog stick and D-pad comfortable to use, and it greatly succeeds as the N64 controller might just be the most comfortable ever designed.  Bravo to Nintendo for fixing a problem right out of the gate that continues to bedevil the industry 25 years later.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It may just be me.  I was born with a deformity where I only have 2 hands.

Ah, so you've chosen the lazy internet response.  Which is, of course, utterly invalidated by the fact that zero games in the N64 library ask you to play with 3 hands.

The N64 controller was designed for dual use to make both the analog stick and D-pad comfortable to use, and it greatly succeeds as the N64 controller might just be the most comfortable ever designed.  Bravo to Nintendo for fixing a problem right out of the gate that continues to bedevil the industry 25 years later.

I don't need the internet to give me that response.  That was my first thought when I started handling the controller.  "WTF, this thing requires 3 hands!?!"  That and the Z-button was dumb...and the analogue stick.  Really the whole controller was an abomination.

Also I have a buddy who really loved the N64 and he said there was at least one game where you can to keep changing the grip to play it.  It really does require three hands.

psychicscubadiver said:

Metroid Other M: This is the game that made me stop pre-ordering games. We were fresh off the end of the Prime Trilogy and so hyped to hear that Ninja Thoery was making the next one. The controls were decent, the gameplay was mediocre, and the story was awful.

The "hold your controller sideways but then awkwardly let go of one hand to hold it vertically to use the pointer" controls were decent?!

Last of Us, the game was marketed and considered by many as the best game ever.

-Didn't have the best plot. Walking dead season 1 did everything better a year before.
-Didn't have the best gameplay. I feel it had a similar gameplay to Tomb Raider 2013, but Tomb Raider did everything better.
-Didn't have the best horror themes, but i don't think it's considered in the horror genre so i don't know.
-Didn't have the best stealth experience.
-No memorable OSTs.
-The major sell point of the game is the story, but the gameplay drags too long with its stealthy approach between cutscenes.

But it did have the best graphics at its time so that's a point.

Definitely God of War 2018.

I love the God of War Series. I was so looking forward to this and was hyped after the great reviews.

But to me they took the character away from the series and made it just like any other over the shoulder 3rd person action game these days. It didn't feel special any more. The combat & enemies were boring. It just didn't feel like the GoW games of old. The kid was annoying too.

"If new things are so great, where have they been the whole time?"

For me it would probably be Dark Souls and Bloodborne, a lot of hype, high score, vocal fanbase but I didn't like the games at all.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994