By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

HoloDust said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Everyone has different tastes.  People are free to like whatever they want.  Gaslighting is about lies being spread like they are the truth.  What I am saying is about more than just taste. 

Some games are pretending to be something they are not.  It becomes more obvious though when the imposter game is put up against the real thing.  Mario 64 and New Super Mario Bros were both put on the DS.  The market chose 2D Mario by a landslide.  This happened again on the Wii with the big budget Mario Galaxy and the smaller budget NSMB Wii.  2D Mario sold more by a landslide.  But if you go online everyone will tell you that 3D Mario is the "real Mario".  That is gaslighting.  In fact 2D Mario came first and is far more popular.  The real Mario is actually 2D Mario.

I am saying the same thing about the other games.  Wind Waker is not real Zelda.  It's a spinoff posing as the real thing.  You can like the game if you want, but it's just not the real thing.  I like Dragon Quest Builders and Final Fantasy Tactics, but I know these are spinoff games. 

The Elder Scrolls gaslights the whole RPG genre.  No one used the term JRPG in the NES days when Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy were first made.  There were plenty of RPGs made by Western developers on PC, but no one used the term JRPG.  They started using this when Elder Scrolls became popular.  First they invent the term JRPG and then they tell you why JRPGs suck.  ("Turn based RPGs shouldn't even be made anymore.")  That is gaslighting.

Again, I want to reiterate that your tastes are not wrong.  You like Wind Waker, and I don't.  If that were the only issue then I would have no problem.  But when someone is gaslighting, they will tell you your tastes are wrong.  Go a few posts above this one and you'll see a guy saying it is my fault that I don't like Morrowind.  That is part of the gaslighting.  He may even be very authentic when he says this.  The most effective gaslighters have been gaslighted themselves.  They spread lies authentically believing they are the truth.  But they also need you to validate their lies.  I have to like The Elder Scrolls or it's my fault.  If I like The Elder Scrolls then it validates the gaslighting.

You don't have to like TES.  But saying that TES magically ruined the genre is just horseshit. It existed way back in 90s.and people were still choosing other RPGs over it. Morrowind just managed to somewhat infiltrate part of mainstream audience...and taht was about it.

Perhaps you are right.  Perhaps The Elder Scrolls games are neither popular nor influential.  To me it appears it has been fairly influential.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 08 June 2020

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Snoopy said:

MGS5. Words can't describe how disappointing the game ended up being. This is someone who completed big boss ranking on MGS1-4.

Same. After blowing through the "demo" but not dedicating a lot of time, I felt like MGS5 could recapture the magic that I personally thought was lost in MGS4. MGS5 wound up being the first Metal Gear game in the history of Metal Gear games, aside from the PSP card games, that I didn't at least finish once.  

I liked MGS4, but I can see it as a fan service game. MGS5, I was like wtf am I playing here. There was no epic boss fights, repetive missions  and the story was a joke.

Snoopy said:
d21lewis said:

Same. After blowing through the "demo" but not dedicating a lot of time, I felt like MGS5 could recapture the magic that I personally thought was lost in MGS4. MGS5 wound up being the first Metal Gear game in the history of Metal Gear games, aside from the PSP card games, that I didn't at least finish once.  

I liked MGS4, but I can see it as a fan service game. MGS5, I was like wtf am I playing here. There was no epic boss fights, repetive missions  and the story was a joke.

Quiet was a good boss fight, and one you are chased by those ghosts was good as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

NightlyPoe said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I don't need the internet to give me that response.  That was my first thought when I started handling the controller.  "WTF, this thing requires 3 hands!?!"

And then you figured out how to play with two hands in half a second like everyone else in the world.  Please stop with the internet garbage.  No one here believes you actually think that you need three hands to play with it.  And if you do manage to convince us, then all you will have succeeded in doing is convincing the board that you have a severe mental impairment.

Since I don't believe that you're mentally impaired, I can only conclude that you're bringing up tired old system wars tropes from 25 years ago.

I know you may find this hard to believe.  I don't live on the internet.  I don't know what a lot of these internet tropes are.  In fact, I played the N64 years before I even got on the internet for the first time.  These were my impressions of it.  It looks like you need three damn hands.  That wasn't made up by the internet.  I know one handle is for the D-pad and the other is for the stick.  It still looks like you need three hands.

And the controller really does suck balls.  It's the worst controller I've ever actually used.  You may love it.  Fine.  I hate it.  And this all goes back to Mario 64, which is a game I really, really hate.  I can't separate Mario 64 from the controller.  The game seems made to showcase the controller.  I hate the game and I hate the controller.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

NightlyPoe said:

And then you figured out how to play with two hands in half a second like everyone else in the world.  Please stop with the internet garbage.  No one here believes you actually think that you need three hands to play with it.  And if you do manage to convince us, then all you will have succeeded in doing is convincing the board that you have a severe mental impairment.

Since I don't believe that you're mentally impaired, I can only conclude that you're bringing up tired old system wars tropes from 25 years ago.

I know you may find this hard to believe.  I don't live on the internet.  I don't know what a lot of these internet tropes are.  In fact, I played the N64 years before I even got on the internet for the first time.  These were my impressions of it.  It looks like you need three damn hands.  That wasn't made up by the internet.  I know one handle is for the D-pad and the other is for the stick.  It still looks like you need three hands.

And the controller really does suck balls.  It's the worst controller I've ever actually used.  You may love it.  Fine.  I hate it.  And this all goes back to Mario 64, which is a game I really, really hate.  I can't separate Mario 64 from the controller.  The game seems made to showcase the controller.  I hate the game and I hate the controller.

Yep it is strange to need two different holding on a controller, like you can't use d-pad and analog at same time? Crazy, and Sony robbed the idea of putting a stick on the controller... why didn't they put another prong as well?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

I've already outlined it in detail twice, so I'll just say: Uncharted 4. Gunplay specifically, and combat in general. It's the first Uncharted game I didn't plat, even though attaining the plat in Uncharted 4 is apparently easier than in any other game in the series, mainly because of the ability to use what are essentially, "cheats". Don't care though. I have better things to do. Dreaded every combat encounter. Amazing narrative, graphics, and gameplay mechanics beyond the combat. But that combat. Yuck.

Runner up - Far Cry 4, which I just finished. I'll just say Ubisoft "Ubisofted" it. They represent the worst of the worst, so even though I loved it until I didn't, the expectations were never high. I stand by the 0.1 rating I gave it on VGC. Will never buy another Ubisoft game again. The worst.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
I've already outlined it in detail twice, so I'll just say: Uncharted 4. Gunplay specifically, and combat in general. It's the first Uncharted game I didn't plat, even though attaining the plat in Uncharted 4 is apparently easier than in any other game in the series, mainly because of the ability to use what are essentially, "cheats". Don't care though. I have better things to do. Dreaded every combat encounter. Amazing narrative, graphics, and gameplay mechanics beyond the combat. But that combat. Yuck.

Runner up - Far Cry 4, which I just finished. I'll just say Ubisoft "Ubisofted" it. They represent the worst of the worst, so even though I loved it until I didn't, the expectations were never high. I stand by the 0.1 rating I gave it on VGC. Will never buy another Ubisoft game again. The worst.

Haven't heard of the cheats at the time, well finishing on Crushing was very hard. I liked the combat though even if I prefer the ones in PS3;

DonFerrari said:
COKTOE said:

Haven't heard of the cheats at the time, well finishing on Crushing was very hard. I liked the combat though even if I prefer the ones in PS3;

I was playing it in 2017, and clearly remember the guide saying the player could use cheats, like infinite ammo, and special "one shot" weapons. Or someting like that. Soooo, I just went to the same guide, and it's been updated.

It says "5/10 difficulty if you have the Digital version/do everything legit but 2.5/10 if you have the retail version and use the many available exploits"....So apparently the digital version is different. That's insane. Very weird. I've never seen a difference in trophies between digital and physical, ever.

I have the physical ( and digital too actually ), but whatever. Doubt I'll be going back to get the plat.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Man there are so many over the years. But there is one hype to rule them all:

Duke Nukem Forever

Honorable mention:

Dai Katana

The_Liquid_Laser said:
HoloDust said:

You don't have to like TES.  But saying that TES magically ruined the genre is just horseshit. It existed way back in 90s.and people were still choosing other RPGs over it. Morrowind just managed to somewhat infiltrate part of mainstream audience...and taht was about it.

Perhaps you are right.  Perhaps The Elder Scrolls games are neither popular nor influential.  To me it appears it has been fairly influential.

TES is both popular and influential, but most of it comes from Skyrim. You were talking about Morrowind specifically, and Bethesda pretty much ditched core RPG market in favor of progressively more mainstream experience after it (though, Morrowind was already somewhat toned down compared to Daggerfall). But, as I said, Morrowind was not the first, whole TES started as Bethesda's take on Ultima Underworld - both Arena and Daggerfall were there for anyone interested to play them, and people played them - they ruined nothing, they were just successors to different take on RPGs that existed even back in 80s...maybe you just missed them, or you were not interested in them, there was so many ways and attempts to convert tabletop RPG experience to video games (and none quite succeeded).

Personally, from that period, I'd take Might&Magic over any TES, but I knew lot of folks who were hardcore Daggerfall fans.