By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

Dragon Age 2. I was a HUGE fan of the first Dragon Age so much so that Dragon Age 2 and Witcher 3 are the only 2 PC games I ever pre-ordered. There basically nothing I liked about Dragon Age 2. The camera angle annoyed the hell out of me. Being mostly confined to one city made it way less interesting to me then the first one. I played the first one mostly from top down view so that being taken out completely pissed me off.

I basically quit playing after a few hours of playing it because the game made me so mad and was so different then I was expecting. I did years later go back and play through the entire game after there was a release date for dragon age 3. It was slightly more bearable on my second attempt to play the game now that I was prepared for what to expect and had no delusions of thinking it be anything like the first one but by no means would I consider it a good game and when I reached the end I was glad that I would never be playing this game again.

This game by far had the biggest gap between what I was expecting and what I actually got.

Around the Network

I don't know how hyped this game was, but to me a recent, and good example is Luigi's Mansion 3. People were sucking this game's dick non-stop, but from day one I've been saying that the game was a boring, monotonous, repetitive clunkfest that had worthless collectibles and combat that lacked weight and meaning. Admittedly it did have charming character design, but it is the worst entry in the series.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The Wind Waker.  I saved the worst for last.  Or at least it's the most painful.  Objectively, Morrowind is probably a worse game, but Wind Waker destroyed my childhood in ways that George Lucas could only dream of.  When the Wii gets released, I go back and get a Gamecube to give Nintendo another chance.  Then I get to Wind Waker and I feel like crying.  This game combines the worst parts of Morrowind and Mario 64.  It systematically destroys my favorite Nintendo series, while being a total lie at the same time.  This is not Zelda.  The 3 NES/SNES Zelda games are the real Zelda.  Wind Waker is trash posing as Zelda.

THANK YOU.

I don't think I'll ever forgive Wind Waker for butchering the Zelda series so horribly. Thank fuck they made Twilight Princess afterwards which returned Zelda to what it should be.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 June 2020

Watchdogs 2. For me Watchdogs 1 is the last great experience I had before shutting down my WiiU for good. So when I played 2 it was nothing what I wanted. I guess I just really fell for the story progression of the first one :( But to my defense Ubisoft did talk a big game about how they learned there lessons and would make major improvements. I never got enthralled to even see if that was true.

Metroid Prime 3. I hate the controls (and pirate fights) of all the games. But I prefer the GameCube controls over all. The voice acting was atrocious. Jumping to different planets was not engaging. It’s been a long time so I forgot what else. Just didn’t have the magic of the first one. The second had issues but was redeemed in other ways like awesome freaking abilities. I felt the third added nothing. It’s the only one that I would not play multiple play throughs.

Blinx the cat for the original Xbox. I so loved the idea they were going with. Great art! Plenty of character. Good gameplay in theory. But it really played out as a simple kids game in the worst sense of the category. It was hyped all over Xbox magazines back in the day. Press covered it for a while too. No one said you’d essentially be learning the alphabet and and repeating uninspired game loops. I probably should have just known better.

X-men for the nes. Nothing else need be said.

The Last of Us.
Alright stealth gunplay and pacing, but unlikable characters and predictable story (especially if you've read The Road or Children of Men)

6.5/10

I regret making this my username, I made this name when I was 13 years old

Life could always get worse, you could be a mod for Neogaf

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
John2290 said:

I thought I was the only one who felt this way, good to see there is someone else who didn't get it either. I do suggest trying again without the hype, it's an okay game the longer you play, my third attempt I qlmost liked it. 

There's more of us out there than you would think.  We just kinda get drowned out and a lot of the fans are almost the point of religious fanatics in defending it.  It's had me scratching my head for years.

Yeah, there are lot more of us. While Zelda was never my favorite franchise (nor have I rated any of Zelda games more than 8.5), it is in my Top 10 IPs of all time due to consistenlty good games. But I felt BotW was more of a prototype (not very good one) for what might become of reworked 3D formula, but unfotunatelly it did pretty much everything I wanted wrong.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Morrowind.  There used to be a time when I liked every RPG I played.  There was no distinction between Western and Japanese.  They were all good.  If they got advertised and reviewed well, then I was going to enjoy it.  The crappy ones were intentionally downplayed, so I could avoid them.  Then Morrowind came along.  What a piece of total trash.  This games takes everything I like about RPGs and gets rid of it.  Fun leveling?  Gone.  An engrossing story?  Gone.  A party to control?  Gone.  Explicit goals?  Gone.  This game is just not fun in any way.  I didn't know people could systematically destroy a whole genre like this.

The worst part of all of this is actually the gaslighting.  I still hear people to this day trying to convince me that these are good games.  No, they aren't!  I've played them, and I know they suck!  Morrowind is probably the worst, because it's turned into Skyrim love.  I look at the reviews for Skyrim, "This game is great.  It's just like Morrowind."  Dammit!  So many people think Elder Scrolls are good games.  They have been gaslighted.  (At least this is how it feels to me.)  It sucks, because these games sell, and so more sucky games end up getting made.  Zelda actually got a course correction with Breath of the Wild, but Elder Scrolls and 3D Mario are still being made unchecked.  And these games end up influencing other games, so in the end there are fewer games out there which I actually like playing.  It sucks.

Anyone who states that Skyrim is just like Morrowind obvisouly haven't played former. And you, it seems, didn't seem to like different take on RPGs than what you were accustomed to - Morrowind is far from first that does what it does. I'd take lot of RPGs over Morrowind, and while I don't find TES especially engrossing, I'll always consider Daggerfall and Morrowind as quite good games (say, 8/10).

My pick would be Tomb Raider Reboot - while I had some beef with what Crystal Dynamics did with previous 3 TRs, there were still quite good games and true to TR formula. Reboot was not particullary bad game per se...actually, for the first time I found 3rd person cover shooter mechanism to be very enjoybale...but other than that, it was dissapointment true and true, there was nothing of TR in it, other then a name of the game and main protagonist.

Smash Ultimate, it feels like Smah 4.5 and they removed my most used feature. I only have like 30 hours played in comparison to 200+ hours in Smash 4..

I know... my English sucks.

The potential man

we got this

Hopes and dreams crushed and it turned out that even taking TMS as its own thing, is pretty below average.

The possibilities gone just like that, like my excitement for both series.

So yea that was pretty disappointing 

Lands of Lore III and Legend of Kyrandia 3.
A Westwood double whammy of disappointment.
Now, these weren't "hyped" in the modern use of the term, but I personally was pretty damn amped about them. While clearly and amiably trying to innovate, they went forth a bit too briskly, and really seemed to lose their touch with point-n-click and first-person dungeon drawling as game genres in particular, and with whimsical fantasy as a story setting in general.

For SLIGHTLY more contemporary hyped games, I'd probably single out Starfox Adventures.
That just ended up being a dumb, bad game all around, in spite of how beautiful the art and music was.
I followed it closely from first reveal, through the controversial GameCube transition and StarFox make-over, to the weirdly pointless game it became in the end.

Special mentions goe out to Skyward Sword, Dungeon Keeper 2, Starcraft 2, and both Metroid Other M and Metroid Prime 3.

Podings said:

Lands of Lore III and Legend of Kyrandia 3.
A Westwood double whammy of disappointment.
Now, these weren't "hyped" in the modern use of the term, but I personally was pretty damn amped about them. While clearly and amiably trying to innovate, they went forth a bit too briskly, and really seemed to lose their touch with point-n-click and first-person dungeon drawling as game genres in particular, and with whimsical fantasy as a story setting in general.

If you name Westwood, then Command & Conquer: Tiberium Sun should not go unmentioned. The backlash it got was pretty hefty for not being up to the pre-release material and many promised features and effects missing.

But I also think we all have overlooked the king of overhyping: How come nobody has mentioned Peter Molyneux yet in this thread? Fable? Black & White? And his masterpiece in this regard, Godus? No wonder Guru Larry takes potshots at him in (almost) every episode.