By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

Zelda BOTW, tried several times to finish it but can’t. Still have the limited edition tho.

Around the Network

Metal Gear was one of those series that I felt loyalty to. Like I was obligated to play and beat every game in since discovering it on NES. To me and my brother, Metal Gear was OUR series and if I wasn't enjoying it, there was something wrong with ME.

When they MGS 4 PS4 bundle dropped, I was right there in line at midnight to grab mine. I got home some time after one and went to sleep dreaming of the fun I was going to have. Hell, IGN have it a score of 11/10

I don't know what happened but I didn't really enjoy this one. I can list a thousand reasons why but, long story short, it was a $500+ disappointment. Plus some guy spoiled the game for me by posting things on my vgchartz wall.

Vodacixi said:

I would bet that game had a pretty decent online mode...

it did in fact, and i enjoyed it for sure. but at that point in time fps campaigns were a very important aspect of an fps game overall to me, and in that regard it fell flat. the controls in the game were very good however. it would have been nice to see more games have the same depth of precision that the conduit had.

Starfox Zero..... Man that game hurt me. At a time when WiiU games were dry and we needed something boost our morale here came a Miyamoto game that played like an absolute turd after such a long build up. The hype was real - the game was awful. In a way it was a microcosm of the WiiU itself, alot of promise poorly executed.

d21lewis said:
Metal Gear was one of those series that I felt loyalty to. Like I was obligated to play and beat every game in since discovering it on NES. To me and my brother, Metal Gear was OUR series and if I wasn't enjoying it, there was something wrong with ME.

When they MGS 4 PS4 bundle dropped, I was right there in line at midnight to grab mine. I got home some time after one and went to sleep dreaming of the fun I was going to have. Hell, IGN have it a score of 11/10

I don't know what happened but I didn't really enjoy this one. I can list a thousand reasons why but, long story short, it was a $500+ disappointment. Plus some guy spoiled the game for me by posting things on my vgchartz wall.

I'm with you on MGS4. I don't think it's a bad game, but compared against other titles in the sub-series it was disappointing. The most frustrating thing is that, at least for me, the game started strongly. I was enjoying it for the first three acts. Then the wheels started to come off. I think that with more judicious editing, the game could have been great.

Around the Network

Red dead 2, I really like it for the 1st 3 chapters, but then issues just get more and more apparent to a point where I just start not enjoying it at all. I'll say the game looks great and I enjoy the story and characters. But almost everything else in the game varies from passable to just downright bad. I'll just list some of my issues now.
1. Missions
The mission variety is just pitiful, most missions follow the same structure of ride to mission marker then ride from point A to point B, shoot people ride back to point A or to point C rinse and repeat for 90% of the missions. Missions also suffer from extreme linearity which is very at odds with the open world nature of the game. This gets frustrating when you want to try a mission in a different way but just get an automatic fail for not following the extremely specific way rockstar wants you to play every mission. The player is discouraged from ever thinking about what to do because the game tells you exactly where to go and what to do and how to do it. Player creativity is actively discouraged and punished. Even games that are designed to be linear like uncharted give players some more options on how to play through parts of the game. I remember during one mission I was asked to hide a carriage, instead of letting me choose a place to hide the games tells me the exact place to bide it and nothing else will work. Red dead 2 is a game that controls the player rather than the player controlling the game. The player never has to think or make any meaningful choices during missions. This is in direct contrast with the game outside of missions that does a lot more to encourage players to actually think and make choices. This contrast makes tge game feel unfocused and poorly thought out, it feels like 2 different games. This isn't to say that the game can't have linear missions but it needs to make sense in the situation. A mission on a train makes sense that it is linear, a mission in a more wide open area should not be so linear.
2 Gamelplay
The gameplay is pretty brain dead. Gunfights have so little thought needed to get through just press aim, automatically target enemy and fire, that's it there's nothing else to it. You can try dead eye but that doesn't really add much apart from looking kinda cool. Arthur also just plumbers around like a drunk person constantly. I never feel fully in control of Arthur it almost feels like he's working against me at all times. Another issue horse riding, riding a horse is ok but a vast majority of play time is spent riding a horse around without much else happening it was fine early in the game when seeing all the scenery for the first time but quickly becomes uninteresting when being forced to ride through the same area over and over. Later in my play through of the game I was just going into cinematic view, holding X and looking at my phone till I got to where I needed.
3 Side missions become pointless
Generally the main rewards you get from side missions is money, which early in the game you'll likely be low on and need to do side missions, this is a good thing. But by the the time you get to the story mission where you rob a bank money is no longer and issue so side missions no longer have much purpose. After a while there just isn't much to spend money on in the game. The game isn't giving me much motivation to do side content.
4 Camp upgrades
This is a good idea executed extremely poorly. Almost all of the camp upgrades feel pointless and add nothing to the game. This feels like a huge wasted opportunity to have the players actions affect the camp in a positive way. The more we put into the camp the better it the happier your group is, but this sadly is not the case.
5 Chapter 5
Yeah, fuck this part of the game. Just plain terrible and severely hurts the pacing of the story.
6 red dead 1 map
Another wasted opportunity, this part of the map has barely anything to do and adds very little.

Red dead 2 is not a terrible game certain aspects are great such as music, graphics, story and character but the faults drag it down so far. The issues listed are just some of my problems with the game I have more but didn't feel like writing anymore.

axumblade said:
Mighty No 9...It sounded so promising from the start and then slowly the trailers made the game look worse and worse. At least the hype felt like it helped the Mega Man games make a comeback I guess...?

i must be one of the few people who actually enjoyed mn9. i played it for cheap ($5?) on xbone about two years after it came out and enjoyed it a lot more than i thought i would. finished it and everything. i thought the dash mechanic was actually a lot of fun and promoted fast and fluid gameplay. a solid 7.5 or 8 for me

Another game I'd mention is arms. The character designs are 10/10 I love all of them, but the game itself is just pretty bland. The lack of a story mode to give more background and personality to the characters is probably the worst exclusion. Hopefully if a sequel is ever made they flesh everything out more.

Breath of the Wild comes to mind. It's a solid 5/10 for me, nowhere near the hype of best game ever but good enough. Probably won't buy BotW 2 unless I see they've made some kind of change that appeals to me.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Daikatana John Romero made nobody his bitch with that one.
No Man's Sky Many promised features missing at launch, making it very disappointing

On Daikatana, you could argue that he made the people who actually paid money for the game his bitch.

No Man's Sky looked really promising. One of my favorite games of the 1980s was a space exploration RPG called Starflight, and I really wanted to see a successor to Starlight on modern hardware.