By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

LA Noire. So much hype, so much of a crappy game.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Devil's Third was hyped a lot and that ended bad. Never played it though but there is small part of me that wishes I got a copy just to hold onto for shits and giggles.

Devil's Third was mostly hyped up by Tomonobu Itagaki, and he hyped up pretty much everything he worked on. Wonder what he's doing these days.

NightlyPoe said:
Breath of the Wild by a large margin. Not only did it not live up to the hype, but was a mess of poor controls and game design decisions. Worst part was realizing that my favorite franchise was effectively killed off and that the IP would be following this formula from now on.

I'm really sorry to hear this. While I don't agree -- Breath of the Wild is near and dear to me -- I totally appreciate the frustration of losing a beloved formula. I do feel like there's room in the Zelda franchise for a more directed, dungeon-centric approach alongside the free-form emergent design of something like BotW. 

I wouldn't give up hope just yet!

Most Sony first-party games, with TLoU being the prime example. They're well-made and probably the best-looking games out there from a technical standpoint, but the gameplay has never appealed to me, and while technically stunning, the visual presentation doesn't do much for me. But I go more for Japanese-style games anyway. They put off the vibe of a mid-90s "interactive movie."

FFXIII, which was just a mess. I got to chapter 10 then lost interest and never went back. Especially after how much I loved FFXII, it was a disappointment.

Halo 3 was kind of "meh," but I did spend a fair amount of time on Xbox Live with it in multiplayer.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
NightlyPoe said:
Breath of the Wild by a large margin. Not only did it not live up to the hype, but was a mess of poor controls and game design decisions. Worst part was realizing that my favorite franchise was effectively killed off and that the IP would be following this formula from now on.

I'm really sorry to hear this. While I don't agree -- Breath of the Wild is near and dear to me -- I totally appreciate the frustration of losing a beloved formula. I do feel like there's room in the Zelda franchise for a more directed, dungeon-centric approach alongside the free-form emergent design of something like BotW. 

I wouldn't give up hope just yet!

I loved how BotW was thematically something of a callback to the original game while bringing modern game design to the table. They figured out how to take Lynels, the bane of my 10-year-old existence, and make them into absolute bastards in 2017. Loved it. 

Around the Network

On Devil's Third defense... People expected it to be something that its creator never promised. People thought it would be a hack n' slash despite it being clearly a FPS with hack n' slash touches here and there. But the game is primarily a FPS. Keeping that in mind, it's not a bad game at all. In fact, the mixing of FPS and third person melee combat is quite unique and fun. It has its issues (mediocre graphics, unfair difficulty at times...) and it's certainly not a masterpiece. But I enjoyed it for what it was.

DT had some good ideas and there was something fun underneath all that but the game went through 3 engines and 3 publishers. Most games would just be canned after all that. The Multiplayer was genuine fun. I'd like to see what that studio can do without a game going through hell in development.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

The Last of Us for me too.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think it's terrible, or even a bad game, but coming after Naughty Dog's prior works and with the absolutely insane amount of hype and praise it got, I expected much more.

Gameplay wise it was very by-the-numbers. From moving crates/pallets to reach higher ground, to sneaking around throwing objects as distractions, to fighting off waves of mindless zombies, it just felt uninspired and never did anything especially clever or original.

The story was well told for the most part, but too often intruded on the experience, with far too many "walk slowly while the characters talk" segments. I also felt like with the finale, its reach exceeded its grasp. It tried to go for something unexpected and deep but it ultimately just felt unsatisfying.

It's still a solid game overall, but I did come away disappointed.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 June 2020

Vodacixi said:

On Devil's Third defense... People expected it to be something that its creator never promised. People thought it would be a hack n' slash despite it being clearly a FPS with hack n' slash touches here and there. But the game is primarily a FPS. Keeping that in mind, it's not a bad game at all. In fact, the mixing of FPS and third person melee combat is quite unique and fun. It has its issues (mediocre graphics, unfair difficulty at times...) and it's certainly not a masterpiece. But I enjoyed it for what it was.

Leynos said:

DT had some good ideas and there was something fun underneath all that but the game went through 3 engines and 3 publishers. Most games would just be canned after all that. The Multiplayer was genuine fun. I'd like to see what that studio can do without a game going through hell in development.

Exactly. I agree with both of these statements.

Warlords expansion for WoW.

Expansion promised us some nostalgia and chock filled content, but all it gave us was half finished content, Garrisons to then make us players anti-social, and a semi boring raids.

I think a lot of WoW players see Warlords as the red headed stepchild of WoW.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"