Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

For me;

No Man's Sky - Near limitless galaxy to explore and while the first initial finding resources, repairing a ship and taking off was amazing, after that, after the first few planets you visited you realised there wasn't much more to do after that, which is a shame. I love the idea of space games but I'm not sure how I want them. I think if someone could do a resource gathering combat RPG space exploratio Colony Wars, I'd be all for it.

ME: Andromeda - Yeah, nothing like the original trilogy in combat or tone, lacked in story, graphics and characters. Shame.

FF13 - For the obvious reasons, built up yet the story threw terms at us like I was supposed to know what was going on, combat was too simplified, magic didn't feel impactful like in previous entries and most the game is even leveling is just holding X instead of making choices for me.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

For games I didn't play, I'm going with Anthem. Went from being a day one purchase to being a game I wouldn't even want to play for free.

I was more on the edge with this, Bioware had great history and the concept was great but then I played the Beta and it killed any potential instantly. Spent 45 minutes doing a dungeon... or basically a Raid from Destiny. 1 person quit mid way through and me and the other guy left struggled with the final boss only for it to kick us out and we didn't even get the mid way through rewards/items we claimed.

I literally just turned it off and uninstalled after.

I'm glad it failed as EA's attempt to remake Destiny was not  great idea but sad it meant we haven't had a good epic story drive RPG from Bioware since DA:I in 2014.

Hmm, pie.

This year? Ff7 remake and Nioh 2 to a degree. All time? Breath of the wild.

China Numba wan!!

NightlyPoe said:
Breath of the Wild by a large margin. Not only did it not live up to the hype, but was a mess of poor controls and game design decisions. Worst part was realizing that my favorite franchise was effectively killed off and that the IP would be following this formula from now on.

I thought I was the only one who felt this way, good to see there is someone else who didn't get it either. I do suggest trying again without the hype, it's an okay game the longer you play, my third attempt I qlmost liked it. 

China Numba wan!!

Kingdom Hearts 3.

It had such a convoluted story that it made it hard to appreciate the characters and ultimately the plot. It destroyed the fond memories I had of the trio from the PS2 era. Some, if not most, of the dialogue is cringe. They could have made more interesting side stories for the Disney worlds too. Halfway through the game, I was pushing myself just to beat it, which is a shame because I enjoyed the combat.

Around the Network

LA Noire. So much hype, so much of a crappy game.

sethnintendo said:
Devil's Third was hyped a lot and that ended bad. Never played it though but there is small part of me that wishes I got a copy just to hold onto for shits and giggles.

Devil's Third was mostly hyped up by Tomonobu Itagaki, and he hyped up pretty much everything he worked on. Wonder what he's doing these days.

NightlyPoe said:
Breath of the Wild by a large margin. Not only did it not live up to the hype, but was a mess of poor controls and game design decisions. Worst part was realizing that my favorite franchise was effectively killed off and that the IP would be following this formula from now on.

I'm really sorry to hear this. While I don't agree -- Breath of the Wild is near and dear to me -- I totally appreciate the frustration of losing a beloved formula. I do feel like there's room in the Zelda franchise for a more directed, dungeon-centric approach alongside the free-form emergent design of something like BotW. 

I wouldn't give up hope just yet!

Most Sony first-party games, with TLoU being the prime example. They're well-made and probably the best-looking games out there from a technical standpoint, but the gameplay has never appealed to me, and while technically stunning, the visual presentation doesn't do much for me. But I go more for Japanese-style games anyway. They put off the vibe of a mid-90s "interactive movie."

FFXIII, which was just a mess. I got to chapter 10 then lost interest and never went back. Especially after how much I loved FFXII, it was a disappointment.

Halo 3 was kind of "meh," but I did spend a fair amount of time on Xbox Live with it in multiplayer.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
NightlyPoe said:

I'm really sorry to hear this. While I don't agree -- Breath of the Wild is near and dear to me -- I totally appreciate the frustration of losing a beloved formula. I do feel like there's room in the Zelda franchise for a more directed, dungeon-centric approach alongside the free-form emergent design of something like BotW. 

I wouldn't give up hope just yet!

I loved how BotW was thematically something of a callback to the original game while bringing modern game design to the table. They figured out how to take Lynels, the bane of my 10-year-old existence, and make them into absolute bastards in 2017. Loved it.