By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

Farsala said:
Vodacixi said:

Yeah, God of War is probably one of the best examples of lies becoming reality. I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but it's far from a great game, let alone a masterpiece. Collective hype really masked the true nature of the game.

I think Kingdom Hearts III would be my personal choice. The game looked phenomenal on the trailers, the story seemed to be really good, I was really looking forward to see how they would end the saga... and then I realized the story was shit, that the ending was incredibly rushed, that it had one of the weakest soundtracks in the series and that the Disney worlds were a massive disappointment in general. As a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, KH III made me really sad. So sad that it made me rethink my feelings about the entire franchise. Now I can see that every game since Birth By Sleep (included) was a mistake.

Pokémon Sword and Shield also disappointed me a lot, but I wasn't nearly as hyped... so it wasn't so bad. But it's really sad that the last entry in an over 20 year old franchise is worse than the first one on Game Boy.

Finally... Octopath Traveler. I was very excited to play an old school JRPG like the ones in the 90s. The art style looked great, the music was fantastic, the battle system was super enjoyable and the premise of living 8 different stories was very appealing to me. Unfortunately, the game was just super repetitive (like, I can't even put into words how much) and the individual stories were very lacking. I couldn't even finish the game. A shame, because everything else was awesome.

Knew from day 1 that God of War wasn't for me, but maybe someday I will play it.

KH3 was disappointing with the lack of SE characters true, but it wasn't too terrible. Octopath was a little boring sure, but I kind of expected it to be that way I guess.

For me it would be a tie between FFXIII and FF Versus XIII (PS3). One released and was terrible in almost every way, the other one doesn't exist. Not sure which is worse.

Actually, the lack of SE characters didn't bother me too much. I mean, I would have love to have them, but in the grand scheme of things... not a big loss.

Around the Network

Horizon zero dawn. It looked really cool, but everything in the game just rubs me the wrong way. The combat feels stiff, the world feels lifeless, characters are bland. While the game is technically impressive visually I don't feel like it's actually nice to look at. The motion blur and excessive lens flare is just awful as well.

GoOnKid said:

The Last of Us. I played it years after the hype and I thought it was insanely boring, full of bad gameplay, superdumb enemy AI and a pointless story with an immensely unsatisfying ending. I really don't get what's so special about this game.

This is actually the first time I read negative criticism against God of War, I thought everybody loves that game? I have a copy myself, just haven't played it yet. Now I'm even more curios how much I'm going to enjoy it.

On the other hand, I understand why people don't like the closed levels of Final Fantasy XIII, but aside from that the game is excellent in my eyes, honestly. I'm replaying it at the moment and it's pure joy.

Oh, everybody loves God of War. You bet they do. The ones that didn't enjoy it that much are a very, VERY small minority.

I'm with you on The Last of Us. Although I didn't had any hype at all. This game and God of War 3 Remastered came with my PS4, so I decided to see what was all the hype about. Man, so boring... so clunky... so... slow. The gameplay was so bad xD

Looking at somebody else's post, I'm gonna say every s
Smash Bros. Every generation I buy the new one (two last gen). Every gen, I log in a couple of hours and then never play it again. It's cool to see all of the characters in one place but, for some reason, it never feels like I'm actually playing with those characters. Just empty shells that look like popular characters.

I did love the Subspace Emmasary on Wii, though. Unfortunately, my Wii stopped reading that disc.

Naughty Dog games in general. Last of Us, Uncharted, Crash Bandicoot, all of these are held up as pinnacles of gaming for their time, and I never understood why other than the graphics being cutting edge. Crash was an average platformer that felt like an inferior 3d version of Donkey Kong Country. Uncharted and Last of US have really clunky combat and Uncharted has way too much of it. The story of Uncharted just made me wish I was watching an Indiana Jones movie. And while I think the story of Last of Us is good, it's still only the second-best videogame story about an older man becoming a father figure for a young girl during the zombie apocalypse from the early 2010s. I'd probably like both more if they were on PC and I could use a mouse and keyboard, but I can't see them suddenly becoming my favorite games.

Halo. I bought the Master Chief Collection on Steam and have beaten all 3 games which have been released so far. They're good, but not god's gift to shooting fans. Halo 2's campaign especially is overrated. Maybe if I played them back when they came out, but I did have Halo 2 for Vista and found it underwhelming then. I just think the standards for shooters on PCs have been higher.

Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past. First played it over 20 years after it first came out and after a bunch of 3D Zelda games. I don't like the combat with Link's small sword and I really prefer the dungeon design of later games in the series. Minish Cap and A Link Between Worlds improve on ALTTP in pretty much every way in my opinion. I even had more fun with Zelda 1.

Around the Network

Ninja blade 360

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Skeeuk said:

Ninja blade 360

Ninja Blade was hyped?

For me;

No Man's Sky - Near limitless galaxy to explore and while the first initial finding resources, repairing a ship and taking off was amazing, after that, after the first few planets you visited you realised there wasn't much more to do after that, which is a shame. I love the idea of space games but I'm not sure how I want them. I think if someone could do a resource gathering combat RPG space exploratio Colony Wars, I'd be all for it.

ME: Andromeda - Yeah, nothing like the original trilogy in combat or tone, lacked in story, graphics and characters. Shame.

FF13 - For the obvious reasons, built up yet the story threw terms at us like I was supposed to know what was going on, combat was too simplified, magic didn't feel impactful like in previous entries and most the game is even leveling is just holding X instead of making choices for me.

Hmm, pie.

d21lewis said:

For games I didn't play, I'm going with Anthem. Went from being a day one purchase to being a game I wouldn't even want to play for free.

I was more on the edge with this, Bioware had great history and the concept was great but then I played the Beta and it killed any potential instantly. Spent 45 minutes doing a dungeon... or basically a Raid from Destiny. 1 person quit mid way through and me and the other guy left struggled with the final boss only for it to kick us out and we didn't even get the mid way through rewards/items we claimed.

I literally just turned it off and uninstalled after.

I'm glad it failed as EA's attempt to remake Destiny was not  great idea but sad it meant we haven't had a good epic story drive RPG from Bioware since DA:I in 2014.

Hmm, pie.

Kingdom Hearts 3.

It had such a convoluted story that it made it hard to appreciate the characters and ultimately the plot. It destroyed the fond memories I had of the trio from the PS2 era. Some, if not most, of the dialogue is cringe. They could have made more interesting side stories for the Disney worlds too. Halfway through the game, I was pushing myself just to beat it, which is a shame because I enjoyed the combat.