By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most hyped game that dissappointed ?

These comments about God of War are just about the weirdest thing in the forums these last 3 months.
I guess this topic is down to a matter of personal taste then, so for me its Resident Evil 4, FF10, GTAV and to a much lesser degree Breath of the Wild.

Around the Network

For me it would be FE Warriors. I enjoy hyrule warriors and knew most of the characters from the 3DS FE Games. But it turned out to be very boring. Got bored of it quickly. Perhaps because majority of the characters used similar fighting style and not enough differences between each other.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Vodacixi said:
MasonADC said:
God of war 2018. People were hyping it to be the next master piece but it was a mediocre game all the way through. After it got those really good reviews I thought I had to get it. 6/10.

Yeah, God of War is probably one of the best examples of lies becoming reality. I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but it's far from a great game, let alone a masterpiece. Collective hype really masked the true nature of the game.

I think Kingdom Hearts III would be my personal choice. The game looked phenomenal on the trailers, the story seemed to be really good, I was really looking forward to see how they would end the saga... and then I realized the story was shit, that the ending was incredibly rushed, that it had one of the weakest soundtracks in the series and that the Disney worlds were a massive disappointment in general. As a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, KH III made me really sad. So sad that it made me rethink my feelings about the entire franchise. Now I can see that every game since Birth By Sleep (included) was a mistake.

Pokémon Sword and Shield also disappointed me a lot, but I wasn't nearly as hyped... so it wasn't so bad. But it's really sad that the last entry in an over 20 year old franchise is worse than the first one on Game Boy.

Finally... Octopath Traveler. I was very excited to play an old school JRPG like the ones in the 90s. The art style looked great, the music was fantastic, the battle system was super enjoyable and the premise of living 8 different stories was very appealing to me. Unfortunately, the game was just super repetitive (like, I can't even put into words how much) and the individual stories were very lacking. I couldn't even finish the game. A shame, because everything else was awesome.

Knew from day 1 that God of War wasn't for me, but maybe someday I will play it.

KH3 was disappointing with the lack of SE characters true, but it wasn't too terrible. Octopath was a little boring sure, but I kind of expected it to be that way I guess.

For me it would be a tie between FFXIII and FF Versus XIII (PS3). One released and was terrible in almost every way, the other one doesn't exist. Not sure which is worse.

The Last of Us. I played it years after the hype and I thought it was insanely boring, full of bad gameplay, superdumb enemy AI and a pointless story with an immensely unsatisfying ending. I really don't get what's so special about this game.

This is actually the first time I read negative criticism against God of War, I thought everybody loves that game? I have a copy myself, just haven't played it yet. Now I'm even more curios how much I'm going to enjoy it.

On the other hand, I understand why people don't like the closed levels of Final Fantasy XIII, but aside from that the game is excellent in my eyes, honestly. I'm replaying it at the moment and it's pure joy.

Majora's Mask

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
These comments about God of War are just about the weirdest thing in the forums these last 3 months.
I guess this topic is down to a matter of personal taste then, so for me its Resident Evil 4, FF10, GTAV and to a much lesser degree Breath of the Wild.

I haven't tried GTA V yet so I won't comment on it, but GTA IV was a complete letdown with the small map, the somber and boring story and the lack of any of the goofiness that had the previous GTA games.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I know I'm gonna get some hate for this but, personally Smash Bros. Ultimate. I mean, yes the crossover element is second to none but the game modes and online with GSP just feels so underwhelming. The other game modes seem a bit soulless compared to 64, Melee and of course Brawl.

I just wish that Nintendo could see what they have and go all out with a mode that lets you see how all of these characters interact with each other. Subspace Emissary wasn't perfect but I got to see so many neat character interactions and play through a pretty lengthy campaign. Where are the quirky and fun modes like Board the Platforms, individual character based Target Tests, Race to the Finish, etc.?

I am pretty decent at Smash, so you can't say "You don't like the game because you're bad at being competitive". Overall, the game as a package is underwhelming. The buildup to the game was immense, the character reveals were and still are the some of the best parts of the game. The fan service and roster, again, are unmatched but yeah the overall game for me is meh.

Mass Effect Andromeda. So much wasted potential and possibilities. Movement and shooting was improved, but the story and characters were lacklustre. Wanted more to do with base building and colonization. 

I especially didn’t like how they “PCd” the Krogan from a male led tribal warrior race to a Matriarch society overnight (after cryo sleep). Also the Asari, making them purposely uglier and less feminine then the trilogy because reasons. Took me out of the immersion.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Anthem was probably my biggest disappointment... didn’t feel like a BioWare game at all...

Ljink96 said:
I know I'm gonna get some hate for this but, personally Smash Bros. Ultimate. I mean, yes the crossover element is second to none but the game modes and online with GSP just feels so underwhelming. The other game modes seem a bit soulless compared to 64, Melee and of course Brawl.

I just wish that Nintendo could see what they have and go all out with a mode that lets you see how all of these characters interact with each other. Subspace Emissary wasn't perfect but I got to see so many neat character interactions and play through a pretty lengthy campaign. Where are the quirky and fun modes like Board the Platforms, individual character based Target Tests, Race to the Finish, etc.?

I am pretty decent at Smash, so you can't say "You don't like the game because you're bad at being competitive". Overall, the game as a package is underwhelming. The buildup to the game was immense, the character reveals were and still are the some of the best parts of the game. The fan service and roster, again, are unmatched but yeah the overall game for me is meh.

I understand exactly how you feel. My first Super Smash Bros. game was Brawl. And while I had decent fun with the fighting modes, it was Subspace Emissary the thing that I enjoyed the most, by far. Watching those characters interact with each other, going from one place to another beating enemies and surpass obstacles... the emotion. That's what I really liked about the game.

Then Smash 4 came out... and yes, I liked it. But it was a very passive feeling. Then Ultimate came... and it was even worse. Then I realized: I don't like Super Smash Bros. that much. What I actually want... is a crossover with Nintendo characters (and guests) where they have adventures together and travel to different places and have to surpass different dangers.

So from now on I know that Smash is not for me.