By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 VS X360: So, who won ?

If we just counting that generation, the 360 won with xbox live, profits, and greater gain compared to last gen. The 360 continued off the great things from OG Xbox and introduced a few more with an early launch to boot.

If we count the big picture, I think the PS3 won because the late surge and commitment to constant first party support as well as free online helped consumer trust with the PS brand. The PS4 built off that consumer trust and introduced online fees to rake in a ton of profit. The PS3 failure made Sony become more dev friendly and consumer friendly.

Around the Network
Spindel said:
But how many of those Xbox sales where due to RROD failures?

There’s a flip side to that argument. People rebuying a faulty console instead of a fully functioning PS3 speaks to the strength of the 360 brand 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Spindel said:

There’s a flip side to that argument. People rebuying a faulty console instead of a fully functioning PS3 speaks to the strength of the 360 brand 

I've been seeing that argument since like '07 but I don't know. Microsoft repaired mine for free. They kept that policy for two years after purchase (cost them like a billion dollars, if I recall). After that, I bought more 360 consoles because I wanted to and not because I had to. I'm pretty sure repairs don't count in the overall total.

Twitter: @d21lewis

Spindel said:

Hard to say.  I know people who sent their 360's back to Microsoft and had them fixed.  Others like me and my brother got temporary fixes at local game shops, and then upgraded to the Slim that had built in wifi and was just flat out better than the original 360.  So, that's more like separating same customer sales by hardware revision.  How many in PS4's sold # are same customer sales between PS4 and PS4Pro, or Xbox One and Xbox One X.  It's admittedly not the same situation, but same customer sales have muddied the water of actual hardware sold for a long time now.  How many more Wii's would have sold later in the gen if Nintendo had released an actual branded HD Wii instead of going straight into the Wii U with Gamepad?

To OP, I would say that if you look at the small picture, then Microsoft won that round.  But if you look at the big picture, then Sony won.

d21lewis said:
sales2099 said:

I've been seeing that argument since like '07 but I don't know. Microsoft repaired mine for free. They kept that policy for two years after purchase (cost them like a billion dollars, if I recall). After that, I bought more 360 consoles because I wanted to and not because I had to. I'm pretty sure repairs don't count in the overall total.

I know, I just say that to those who are convinced people scrapped their 360 and bought a new one. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
only777 said:
JWeinCom said:
Microsoft blew their advantage while Sony regained most of what they'd lost

So at the point the generation ended, Sony were in a great position but MS were quite weak.  This transferred over to the current generation.

I'd say this is the reason why Sony won the generation out of those two.  

No...  if we use that logic, where we judge who won a generation by the sales of the next one, then the PS2 and XBox essentially tied, and the Wii, DS, and PSP were all horrible failures.

Did the kid who got a 95m head start on the 100m dash win when it crossed the finish line at the same time as the pro athletes?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Conina said:
Leynos said:
Wii beat both in sales. PS3 was in second but barely. Wii has a lot of great games but the hardware sucks to use. Still have my HD twins hooked up.

Wii had a lot of great games... yeah, but only a fraction of great PS3 + Xbox360 games:

• Wii had 14 games with a MetaScore of 90+, PS3 + Xbox360 each had over 50 of them.
  • Wii had 43 games with a MetaScore of 85+, PS3 + Xbox360 each had around 180 of them.
  • Wii had 106 games with a MetaScore of 80+, PS3 + Xbox360 each had over 400 of them.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/wii/all?sort=desc&page=0

I have a collection. IDGAF about stupid ass meta. Stop letting numbers decide your opinion for you. Meta is garbage. A score is  garbage. It's an arbitrary way to judge something as a work of art. Babyz DS got a better review score than Mafia II. So if that game is better than Mafia II then where is the Babyz remake? Wii has a ton of hidden gems that don't show up on Meta anyway. Some of them I imported as they were not released in the west. lol and still holding on to the fan grading curve of anything below 80 is bad. Thanks for the laugh tho.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

sales2099 said:
Spindel said:

Or you get a replacement unit, whitch probably still is counted as an sale. 

But my main goal with my previous post was to trigger people, and by the looks of it i succeded ;)

Leynos said:
Conina said:

Wii had a lot of great games... yeah, but only a fraction of great PS3 + Xbox360 games:

• Wii had 14 games with a MetaScore of 90+, PS3 + Xbox360 each had over 50 of them.
  • Wii had 43 games with a MetaScore of 85+, PS3 + Xbox360 each had around 180 of them.
  • Wii had 106 games with a MetaScore of 80+, PS3 + Xbox360 each had over 400 of them.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/wii/all?sort=desc&page=0

I have a collection. IDGAF about stupid ass meta. Stop letting numbers decide your opinion for you. Meta is garbage. A score is  garbage. It's an arbitrary way to judge something as a work of art. Babyz DS got a better review score than Mafia II. So if that game is better than Mafia II then where is the Babyz remake? Wii has a ton of hidden gems that don't show up on Meta anyway. Some of them I imported as they were not released in the west. lol and still holding on to the fan grading curve of anything below 80 is bad. Thanks for the laugh tho.

MetaScore ain't perfect, but the cumulative rating system is a much better indicator about the quality of games than the ratings of single persons. Extreme opinions get balanced out in most cases.

"Babyz DS" doesn't even have a MetaScore and Mafia II had a score of 74 - 77 (depending on the version)... so WTF are you talking about?

And you are free to write down a list of Wii games that are hidden gems.

Thanks for the laugh tho.