By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 VS X360: So, who won ?

d21lewis said:
V-r0cK said:
Blu-ray won.

I'm talking out my ass but I feel like Blu-ray never really caught on like DVD or VHS.

You're correct. DVD surpassed VHS in terms of market share globally by 2003. Blu-ray has gotten close to matching DVD as they compete for market share, but not close enough. And it's never surpassed DVD's market share. And UHD will likely be the final physical home media format. It won't ever surpass the DVD or Blu-ray market share. In fact, some corporations already stopped making UHD players. And they're still making Blu-ray players despite that. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
V-r0cK said:
Blu-ray won.

I'm talking out my ass but I feel like Blu-ray never really caught on like DVD or VHS.

Well your ass is right :P

I agree, it didnt really catch on like from VHS to DVD because it was really just a 'upgraded' version of a DVD.  But despite the not-so-huge impact it made, blu-ray it's now the physical standard in every household for movies and home consoles games so I wonder if that's enough of a win for Sony and others in the blu-ray party.  But now its just been a tough battle between physical and digital lol.

V-r0cK said:
d21lewis said:

I agree, it didnt really catch on like from VHS to DVD because it was really just a 'upgraded' version of a DVD.  But despite the not-so-huge impact it made, blu-ray it's now the physical standard in every household for movies and home consoles games so I wonder if that's enough of a win for Sony and others in the blu-ray party.  But now its just been a tough battle between physical and digital lol.

In my household we bought several Blu Ray movies in the beginning but after maybe the first year, streaming/digital was just too convenient. If not for the digital era, things would definitely be different. I just wish digital had the same extras that physical media has.

d21lewis said:
V-r0cK said:

In my household we bought several Blu Ray movies in the beginning but after maybe the first year, streaming/digital was just too convenient. If not for the digital era, things would definitely be different. I just wish digital had the same extras that physical media has.

Yea I always wondered why they never put any of the extras on digital as well.  Odd business choice :/

LudicrousSpeed said:
I would argue Sony, even if they both lost tons of money and got outsold by the Wii.

MS made great strides in this gen and set themselves up to make even better strides and maybe cement their place as the console of choice in the US and UK, but followed this gen up by royally fucking things up with the Xbox One. All the 360 momentum was gone, it's now irrelevant.

I also give it to Sony because of how the gen progressed. Because they were losing the sales battle and third party companies struggled on their system, Sony really went to work on making quality titles and new IP's, something they sadly lost this gen because they never needed it. And while Sony was pumping out good games, MS went all in on Kinect and basically abandoned the hardcore gamer outside of Halo/Gears/Forza and some XBLA titles that were fantastic but were no replacement for quality full featured titles. I actually went from being a hardcore 360 user to barely touching it the last year or two unless a great game came out and was instead playing lots of titles on PS3. Also PSN was complete and utter doodoo but it was free, this also helped.

When you look back at the end of last gen it's really not much of a surprise how this gen started. MS ended last gen going all in on Kinect, abandoning hardcore gamers and focusing less on the core gaming experience. They entered this gen even further abandoning the core gamer experience and surprising us all by how out of touch they were. Sony ended last gen focusing on the hardcore gamer and the core experience and continued that into this gen so of course it was an easy transition for them, made even easier but how massively MS was fucking things up. They were able to sneak PS+ MP requirement in with zero backlash because well hey, could be worse, look at Xbox One.

So yeah I'd give it to Sony.

I would argue MS already fucked up years before the end of the last gen by putting too much focus on Kinect while leaving the hardcore gamer scratching their heads why they were no longer the target audience when looking at first party software. I followed the same path, my 360 was collecting dust at the end of last gen. The machine itself died twice, the HD DVD add-on became pointless after blu-ray won, and I had no interest in Kinect games. After I got a ps3 I also cancelled live gold since even though multi plats ran slightly better on 360, why pay $60 a year to play them online...

So yep I agree with all you said except that MS set themselves up to make even better strides this gen. TV TV TV and Kinect put the final nail in the coffin when this gen was about to start.

Around the Network

I would say it's a tie, but if I had to choose between the two, I would probably give it to 360. This was the console gen when MS established themselves as a competitive force in console gaming all thanks to 360.

sales2099 said:
Rafie said:

360 "edged" out in software too. However @bolded Please don't do the whole "if wasn't for this or that...or take away this or that" argument. It's irrelevant. We can do that all across the board.

I’m not wrong to say Xbox 360 was a western dominated brand. Unless you show me a Japanese passport you probably lived in a country where Xbox beat Ps3. 

You can't just write out Japan and claim that all the other countries were won by 360. It's not how it works. I don't have the sales data for each country but if I were to guess, PS3 won in the majority of markets where both consoles were available. It's just that the lead of 360 in US (the biggest console market) over PS3 was so huge that it compensated all the losses they had everywhere. So, to sum this up, I am almost sure that the majority of users here on VGC lived in a country where PS3 beat 360 and not the other way around unless this said user lived in US or UK.

Blood_Tears said:
I only know the software of PS3 which is 999.4M. How much software did X360 sell?

More than 1b

PS3 lost marketshare for Sony during its first years but got it back by the end of the generation. Xbox 360 had a great start and solid sales overall. Commercially probably 360, in the long run PS3 because they kept support for longer and overall sold more YOY. Also the 360 lost a some customer confidence over RROD issues.

Wman1996 said:
d21lewis said:

You're correct. DVD surpassed VHS in terms of market share globally by 2003. Blu-ray has gotten close to matching DVD as they compete for market share, but not close enough. And it's never surpassed DVD's market share. And UHD will likely be the final physical home media format. It won't ever surpass the DVD or Blu-ray market share. In fact, some corporations already stopped making UHD players. And they're still making Blu-ray players despite that. 

I went all in with blu-ray, double dipped on a large part of my DVD collection and have over 600 blu-rays. Blu-ray was a huge step up from DVD both in image and sound quality. No more full-screen / wide-screen distortions or 3:2 pull down crap and far fewer compression artifacts. Max of 9.8 mbps for mpeg-2 video compared to max of 48 mbps for h.264 video.

UHD however, small increase in image quality (no where near the 5x jump from dvd to blu-ray), no difference in sound. They went cheap with UHD and lost their target audience. I've been a videophile since LaserDisc and went straight to S-VHS for recording. UHD just not good enough. After reading reviews of early releases I decided to stick to blu-ray. It's still better quality than 4K streaming and has all the sound options and extras.

It's not only that UHD players are already getting abandoned, many movies aren't available on 4K blu-ray either, and many that are have faked or bad HDR added on top. I rather have none than artificially added or enhanced HDR.

Long live Blu-ray. Hurry up Amazon, release The Expanse S4 on blu-ray already!

hinch said:

PS3 lost marketshare for Sony during its first years but got it back by the end of the generation. Xbox 360 had a great start and solid sales overall. Commercially probably 360, in the long run PS3 because they kept support for longer and overall sold more YOY. Also the 360 lost a some customer confidence over RROD issues.

To be fair, Sony never got their pre-PS3 market share back and probably never will. This ship has sailed. In PS2 days they had enormous 70% market share. Something like this just seems highly unlikely in the future unless MS and Nintendo both will start to move away from consoles in some way leaving Playstation as the only option for console gamers.