By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 VS X360: So, who won ?

14 years since the launch of PS3/X360, the question remains: who won ?

Final sales of both consoles are neck to neck. That generation started with Sony losing to Microsoft until 2009, when Slim launched. Since then, they were pissing matching and ended up with the same sales, with PS3 having a small edge.

Around the Network

PS3 has a hardware lead of about 2%, but the 360 sold about 3% more software. I'd say that's effectively a tie.

Love and tolerate.

Sony and Microsoft.

wii

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I would say Microsoft. I think you have to consider the previous generation and their goals.

XBox was to get their foot in the door, and the 360 established Microsoft as a force in the marketplace as big as Sony. Meanwhile, Sony lost a huge chunk of their marketshare. At the end of the generation, Microsoft was in a much better place than it had been, and Sony was in a worse one...

Of course, Microsoft blew their advantage while Sony regained most of what they'd lost, but that's another story for another topic.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

Pretty much this!

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Wii beat both in sales. PS3 was in second but barely. Wii has a lot of great games but the hardware sucks to use. Still have my HD twins hooked up.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

shikamaru317 said:
Well, Wii won in terms of hardware sales, 360 won in terms of software sales. Comparing 360 and PS3 only, PS3 has a small lead in hardware sales, but 360 leads in software sales, largely because most 3rd party games ran better on 360 due to 3rd party devs struggling with PS3's architecture.

360's software sales had a small lead over PS3. So I think it's pretty much tied. You're right tho. 3rd party games ran better on 360 also because they developed on a 360 devkit, then ported it to PS3. Popularity wise...it's a tie between Wii and 360. At least here in the US, the 360 was top dog.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Who won is who profited most or who lost the least.

Comparing all three, Nintendo profited the most by far. Cheaper system to develop, engines that were basically GameCube level made game development cheaper, smaller discs and yet sales through the roof without any major price cuts.

As for who made second place in profit, I couldn't even guess.

Between the PS3 and the 360, the PS3 won by outselling the 360 WW every year after the slow slog ended, and eventually passing it. This is in spite of the fact that many media outlets tried to spin otherwise at the time.

This is of course all hardware figures of course.  The moment you look at gold subs and software sales, the picture changes a bit.

All in all, they were a close comparison.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261