By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 VS X360: So, who won ?

shikamaru317 said:
Well, Wii won in terms of hardware sales, 360 won in terms of software sales. Comparing 360 and PS3 only, PS3 has a small lead in hardware sales, but 360 leads in software sales, largely because most 3rd party games ran better on 360 due to 3rd party devs struggling with PS3's architecture.

360's software sales had a small lead over PS3. So I think it's pretty much tied. You're right tho. 3rd party games ran better on 360 also because they developed on a 360 devkit, then ported it to PS3. Popularity wise...it's a tie between Wii and 360. At least here in the US, the 360 was top dog.

PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

Who won is who profited most or who lost the least.

Comparing all three, Nintendo profited the most by far. Cheaper system to develop, engines that were basically GameCube level made game development cheaper, smaller discs and yet sales through the roof without any major price cuts.

As for who made second place in profit, I couldn't even guess.

Despite them being almost tied in terms of numbers, if I had to pick a winner I'd have to go with the PS3 simply because it managed to sell so well (Let's face it, both consoles sold well) despite launching a year later, and what an abysmal launch it was, from the pricing to the choice of games lol... Sony definitely sorted their shit out from 2009 onwards with the launch of the slim and price drop.

Between the PS3 and the 360, the PS3 won by outselling the 360 WW every year after the slow slog ended, and eventually passing it. This is in spite of the fact that many media outlets tried to spin otherwise at the time.

This is of course all hardware figures of course.  The moment you look at gold subs and software sales, the picture changes a bit.

All in all, they were a close comparison.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Did we ever even get an official final total for the 360? While we did get an official final total of 87.4M for the PS3 from Sony, the last figure I've been able to find from MS for the 360 was 84M in mid-2014.

Also, I do always like to point out that their near-tie in global sales is actually a coincidence. The 360 easily defeated the PS3 in North America and the UK, while the PS3 comfortably outsold the 360 in mainland Europe and especially Japan. It just so happens that the numbers across each region added up to where the two systems were in a dead heat in terms of global sales (which is why regional differences in buying habits are important to take into consideration, and why global sales don't always tell us the whole picture). Also, the PS3 did manage to sell what the 360 did globally in one fewer year, so, at least in terms of global sales, it did sell at a faster rate than the 360.

With that being said, I'd say the 360 was the real winner even if they did fall slightly behind the PS3 in WW sales, primarily because of how much MS expanded their market share in the conventional console space. While the 360 only actually won one region, it still performed vastly better than the OXbox in both Europe and Japan. Meanwhile, the PS3 sold considerably less than the PS2 did in every market. Between the 360 having a good selection of exclusives (and generally better support than the OXbox), an overall better online service at the time, and a significantly lower cost at the start of the generation, the 360 was easily poised to siphon away a lot of Sony's market share.

Last edited by Shadow1980 - on 04 June 2020

Around the Network

I’d argue they both lost. Low/negative profits, and the Wii and DS each eclipsed them in terms of success. In their time, they were the 3rd and 4th place consoles.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

kirby007 said:
wii

Of course. Between the two choices of either X-Box 360 or PS3, the answer is obviously Wii. 

*rolleyes

Last edited by Hynad - on 04 June 2020

Hynad said:
kirby007 said:
wii

Of course. Between the two choices of either X-Box 360 or PS3, the answer is obviously Wii. Maybe you simply can't understand what the topic is asking for.

*rolleyes

this is only if you are so narrowminded that you cant think outside the box

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Hynad said:

Of course. Between the two choices of either X-Box 360 or PS3, the answer is obviously Wii. Maybe you simply can't understand what the topic is asking for.

*rolleyes

You seem to think you're more clever than you actually are.

Hynad said:
kirby007 said:

You seem to think you're more clever than you actually are.

might be so atleast im not petty

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.