By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official Protest Thread

I dont get how we are making this so difficult, police using unnecessary force is bad... period
Racism is bad ... period

Thats it its that simple

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Yeah, sure you can argue that the cop murdered George Floyd for reasons other than race. Although race probably was a pretty significant factor. Even if it can't be proven how events would have unfolded had he been white it's certainly fair to assume it would have went differently.

Although at the end of the day, does it even really matter? Police shouldn't be killing people like that full stop.

Didn't say otherwise.  But the protests are specific to the black population, not in general.  It's a specific grievance and there's an assumption that it applies here.

Though, again, why do you assume that it was probably a significant factor?  Where does that assumption come from outside of your own prejudices?

The protest are specific to the black population because of systemic racism. Black people make up a larger portion of the prison population and death by police percentage than they do as a total population and this is because they comitt more crimes. They committ more crimes because of systemic racism. BLMis like other groups that advocate for their kind. We have jewish groups that advocate for the jewish population, women groups that advocate for women's, catholic groups etc. But none ever goes after them for only advocating for their causes and people always attack BLM for advocating for black causes.

As is inevitable when discussing police brutality, the argument has come up saying that there is not a systemic injustice or a racist system at the core of the disproportionate amount of brutality against the African American community, but it is instead simply a reflection of the fact that African Americans commit a disproportionate amount of crime, and as such have more interactions with police. While it is true that African Americans commit a disproportionate amount of crime, this alone does not suffice to prove this alternate hypothesis. The way I see it, there are two additional questions which must be answered:

1) Are the quantity of interactions with police sufficiently correlative to make this argument? That is to say, if the data regarding your alternate explanation does not show that there is a strong correlation between these two factors, your hypothesis falls apart.

2) Are there widespread and systemic injustices leading to this increase in crime rates? Again, if there are injustices leading to the disproportionate amount of crime committed by African Americans, you are simply denying the injustice by demonstrating that the injustice runs far deeper than originally claimed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the information I have seen, this hypothesis falls short on both accounts.

As SvennoJ has showed, levels of police violence doesn't show a strong correlation with the levels of violent crime. As such, this alternate hypothesis does not stand up to even correlative scrutiny:

Towards the second point, systemic injustices run very deep. This is far from an issue that ends at the street level. There are issues with the underfunding of schools in heavily minority communities and the school to prison pipeline, discrimination in the workplace and injustices regarding pay rates, insufficient social safety net programs, and deep flaws in the criminal justice system such as the heavy criminalization of minor offenses and the fact that prison time actually increases recidivism rates. The system is deeply flawed. And yes, many of these factors affect individuals outside of the African American community, however, the combination of all of these issues come together to both reflect the unique struggle of these communities and show how widespread the benefit of reforms can be.

Mar1217 said:
Shoot. Shouldn't have blasted my blow on the other thread.

I'll simply say that I support the movement fully and hope for actual reforms with these cohersitive institutions.

Just my two cents. The first thread should have been the official one. The second one should have been closed immediately. Now we have a third one...lots of conversation, continuity, and likely, traction, is lost in doing things this way. Well too late now though. 

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Retard Robin Hood gets his comeuppance.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
Mar1217 said:
Shoot. Shouldn't have blasted my blow on the other thread.

I'll simply say that I support the movement fully and hope for actual reforms with these cohersitive institutions.

Just my two cents. The first thread should have been the official one. The second one should have been closed immediately. Now we have a third one...lots of conversation, continuity, and likely, traction, is lost in doing things this way. Well too late now though. 

Our thinking was that the first thread framed the issue in a particular way, from a foreign perspective.  Same reason we let the second one stay open, although in retrospect we maybe should have closed it right away. I think the best move would have been for us to make an official topic for it earlier on, since it was obvious that this would be kind of a big deal.  Live and learn.

I spent the last little bit scrolling through this guy's twitter, where he has been keeping track of videos of police brutality from these protests. There is an astounding amount. Some of them are somewhat borderline, or low quality (predominantly shaky witness phone cams), but holy shit, there is so much here. Literally hundreds if not thousands of cops should be arrested and fired for their actions over this past week.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette

One particularly egregious example:

Police shoot a man in the head with a beanbag round, fracturing his skull. They then tell the medics to carry him over and when they do, they open fire on them with more of these rounds, hitting the lead medic. The man is currently in critical condition and will likely have permanent brain damage. "Less lethal" methods can still be lethal or at least highly dangerous. They should only be deployed against a specific and immediate threat (or preferably, not at all).
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/amberjamieson/justin-howell-protester-shot-head-police-austin-beanbag

EDIT:

One more (Warning: It does show blood)

Cops shove an older man causing him to fall and hit his head on the concrete and start bleeding out his ear (a sign of severe trauma). One goes to administer aid but he is shooed away to join in the accosting of another man with a sign. They then report publicly that he tripped a fell. Luckily video footage is available or else this likely would have gone undetected. We need cops wearing body cams 100% of the time. If your cam is off or covered, you are fired on the spot. All footage should be accessible by an independent review board, with random stops being reviewed periodically as well as 100% of complaints and 100% of injuries no matter how minor.

Last edited by sundin13 - on 04 June 2020

We've been seeing Law Enforcement confiscating masks for no reason for a while now, but this is probably the shittiest example yet.

Like, what the fuck?

I was doing some investigation in cop deaths by gunfire over the year to see if there is any correlation between crime rates and risk of getting shot, or any correlation between police brutality and risk of getting shot. (It was already shown that there is no correlation between crime rates and police brutality).

However atm I can't look for any 'excuses' for the police in the USA anymore. It's tragic to be killed in the line of duty, yet that's no excuse.

Anyway from what I found, last year 50 cops died by gunfire (although 2 from friendly fire and one died from complications from a surgery for a gunshot wound 38 years prior). The police killed over 1,000 people last year. The most dangerous is serving warrants, definitely not stopping people in the street.

What stood out that police officers as young as 22 years old were shot to death out on the street. This is so wrong. You need to study for years to become a doctor (And decide over life and death) but you can wield a deadly weapon on the street at age 22? At 22 I was still feeling invincible, reckless, impulsive, know it all, all bad qualities to be policing anything. The minimum age to be out on the street should be at least 28 imo, after extensive training in de-escalation methods and social studies to understand what you are getting into.

I can't believe what's going on now in the USA, us vs them instead of protect and serve. Can you impeach a president two or even three times? (for covid19 handling and the current situation) How did it get this far out of control.

I feel like these clips speak for themselves. Trump has no intention of doing literally anything to end police brutality. I wouldn't be surprised to see him veto a bill if it wound up on his desk.