By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official Protest Thread

JWeinCom said:

Actually Meghan McCain has not been in New York City for several weeks.

Ah, never heard of her. Anyway fake news, hyperbole, same as always. But saying things are 'fine' atm in the USA is a bit of stretch.
Twitter is a blight on society, however at least videos still have some credibility even though it's easy to place them out of context or even stage them. Plenty look pretty real though :(

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
JWeinCom said:

Ah, never heard of her. Anyway fake news, hyperbole, same as always. But saying things are 'fine' atm in the USA is a bit of stretch.
Twitter is a blight on society, however at least videos still have some credibility even though it's easy to place them out of context or even stage them. Plenty look pretty real though :(

She was clearly referring to that particular neighborhood, not saying everything in America is fine.

vivster said:
sethnintendo said:
I bet some of these cops used to get bullied in school.

I bet that more of them were the bullies.

I suppose you are probably right.  The shoving down old people and attacking reporters is ridiculous.  Also the shooting of people in head with rubber bullets and bean bags is fucked up. 

Here is how you don't do crowd control.  They could disperse the crowd with water cannons and that would probably be less harmful.

sethnintendo said:

Or else they were the bullies.

Edit: Sorry, posted this before I saw that someone else had posted it.

SanAndreasX said:
sethnintendo said:

Ive seen plenty of dorky cops though in my life here in USA so I used to think they became cops to take out their built up anger on society. 

What we do have problem here is we've been through so many wars recently a lot of these cops are former military.  They act like they are still on the battlefield and civilians are the enemies.  Plus the cops keep getting more militarized gear pretty damn soon it will be hard to tell the difference.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
JWeinCom said:

Her dad was John McCain, who ran for President twice, the first time in the Republican primaries against George W. Bush, the second time as the Republican nominee in 2008 against Obama.  He was my Senator, and the instant he started going against the Republican Party he was accused by Republicans of being everything from a RINO (Republican In Name Only) to being a traitor and an informant for the North Vietnamese when he was a POW. 

SanAndreasX said:
SvennoJ said:

Her dad was John McCain, who ran for President twice, the first time in the Republican primaries against George W. Bush, the second time as the Republican nominee in 2008 against Obama.  He was my Senator, and the instant he started going against the Republican Party he was accused by Republicans of being everything from a RINO (Republican In Name Only) to being a traitor and an informant for the North Vietnamese when he was a POW. 

Pretty much the same thing that is happening to Romney right now... it’s sad that people get so riled up when people stand up for what they believe is right.  The political parties are not always right, people should be able to differ from the party if they feel it is right.  It shouldn’t be a hive mind...

sethnintendo said:
SanAndreasX said:

Ive seen plenty of dorky cops though in my life here in USA so I used to think they became cops to take out their built up anger on society. 

What we do have problem here is we've been through so many wars recently a lot of these cops are former military.  They act like they are still on the battlefield and civilians are the enemies.  Plus the cops keep getting more militarized gear pretty damn soon it will be hard to tell the difference.

A lot of that started with the LAPD, who were the first police force to develop SWAT teams. This was in response to the Watts riots in the 1960s and the Symbionese Liberation Army siege in 1974. The SLA had fully automatic weapons while the LAPD had semi-automatics, and the siege ended pretty much the same way the Waco siege ended, with a tear gas grenade igniting and burning everybody to death. Then Reagan started pouring money into the police as part of the War on Drugs. Daryl Gates resigned as LAPD chief of police after the 1992 riots. After 9/11, they were mobilized for the War on Terror. It seems like American culture likes to turn everything into a war.

gergroy said:
SanAndreasX said:

Pretty much the same thing that is happening to Romney right now... it’s sad that people get so riled up when people stand up for what they believe is right.  The political parties are not always right, people should be able to differ from the party if they feel it is right.  It shouldn’t be a hive mind...

They barely tolerated Romney in 2012, in part because he is a Mormon and there is a lot of anti-Mormon prejudice in the US, including amongst Evangelicals who say that Mormons aren't really Christians. But he was the nominee, and the people they did want were unpalatable candidates like Michele Bachman and Newt Gingrich. In the end, they only cared to get even a nominal Republican in office. As Grover Norquist, a tax activist, put it, "All we need is a hand with five working fingers that can hold a pen to sign the [Paul] Ryan budget." Paul Ryan was the Republican Golden Boy at the time, which is why he ended up being Romney's running mate. It sure was funny to see his political career completely implode a few years later once Trump came into the picture. Him and Sarah Palin.

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 05 June 2020

I protest against this thread!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1