By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - So, are we not gonna talk about this?

SvennoJ said:

In a sick twisted way, they are serving the public by breaking up peaceful demonstrations. I don't want to defend their methods, which are absolutely horrible, purely escalating the situation no matter how you look at it. Yet the bottom line is, we are in the middle of the worst pandemic we have faced in recent history. There are about a thousand covid19 deaths daily in the USA, over 20K new cases daily which is well over 200K new infections daily.

These peaceful gatherings still end up killing people.

I'm not saying don't protest, yet why hasn't anyone thought of smarter ways to protest. Block roads with your cars in large group, honk your horns to draw attention. Drive in slow groups on the highways etc. I guess no one wants to endanger their own property or be identified by their license plate... (Yet they'll bring their kids to a protest and endanger them, people...)

At least people have woken up now (yet for how long) and see how unprofessional the ones that are supposed to keep order are. Yes they are just humans like everyone else. It's the policies behind the mandates and lack of training and psychological testing which is the problem. De-escalation always seems to be on the back burner in the USA, shock and awe is the name of the game. Respond with overwhelming force which is what leads to all the problems and shocking images.

What happened to undercover cops walking among peaceful demonstrations to arrest the troublemakers as soon as they try to turn a peaceful protest into violent encounters. A wall of tear gas and flash bang grenades is not the answer. Of course it has gotten so far in the USA, being identified as an undercover cop in the middle of a demonstration against cops... Hopeless.

The timing could indeed hardly be any worse with the pandemic going on.

I am not happy with this happening the way it does, I think very few people are, but it was inevitable with the way the people in power in the US has handled these issues as well as how they handle issues in general.
It is not like there has been too few peaceful protests to listen to. Nothing changed. In fact, a lot of these protests were just met with ridicule by a certain person in power - then this is what happens.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
Nautilus said:

Can you prove that every black person killed by a cop is because of racism, or just plain incapability from that cop?

Or rather: Do you really think it's a coincidence that everytime there is protests like this one, looting and killing always follow suit? At the very least ANTIFA are a bunch of facists and extreme leftists that don't know anything but to cause destruction in their protests. At least everytime I saw them involved, violence was also there. Or can you verify that's not true most of the time they show up?

I care about both subjects. That's why I say All Lives Matter. That's why I want to discuss both the racism AND this wave of hate and violance caused by the protests, unlike some of the users that want to talk about racism but sweep all the other problem under the rug(violance, looting, the hate the protesters have against anyone that dosen't think exactly the same and so on)

It's like we are only allowed to think about one thing,some people do not get that thinking about other problems does not equally divide the importance of those cases in our minds and it has only gotten this much focus in threads because of some individuals feeling entitled enough to think they're the judge on what kind of violence should be the problem.

Yeah, it's sad. Perhaps the only way would be if that black cop, or any of the humans that died because of these portestors were their relatives or friends. Wanna see them convince these peoples that their loved ones died for a higher purpose.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
Immersiveunreality said:

It's like we are only allowed to think about one thing,some people do not get that thinking about other problems does not equally divide the importance of those cases in our minds and it has only gotten this much focus in threads because of some individuals feeling entitled enough to think they're the judge on what kind of violence should be the problem.

Yeah, it's sad. Perhaps the only way would be if that black cop, or any of the humans that died because of these portestors were their relatives or friends. Wanna see them convince these peoples that their loved ones died for a higher purpose.

Thinking of having a moral highground when trying to defend human sacrifices for the sake of good but ofcourse when those sacrifices do not include themselves or people they know.

This behaviour makes me too sad, and i'm going to ignore this bs for a while as there are better things to focus on like all the charities currently happening for the cause and all of the people having constructive discussions instead of endless duality.

Immersiveunreality said:
Vinther1991 said:

Strange to read people being more angry with a handful of people looting shops than with police officers attacking innocent protestors and shooting reporters.

When authorities abusing power bothers you less than some riots, you don't really care for democracy. You are probably even against it.

In this thread here there are none more angry with the people looting shops than with what the police does,when you have people feeling entitled about what violent acts can be discussed then you get more focus on that kind of discussion.

Bolded: It is so easy and ignorant at the same time to say such things targetted at people in this thread,who is that meant for? 

It is targeted those who are obsessed with posting all stories about looters and the relatively few violent protestors and framing it as it is a general characteristica of the millions of protestors in the streets, while simultaneusly ignoring the crimes of police officers at those very same protests.

Authorities abusing power is an issue of a much more dangerous nature than your average criminals. Concentrating the focus on the looters is a distraction, and I question the motives of anybody who does that (Not to say violence among protestors should be completely ignored. It should absolutely also be condemned).

I am not going to point fingers at specific people and indulge in personal attacks if that is what you are asking for. I am attacking a trend I see in this thread.

Vinther1991 said:
Immersiveunreality said:

In this thread here there are none more angry with the people looting shops than with what the police does,when you have people feeling entitled about what violent acts can be discussed then you get more focus on that kind of discussion.

Bolded: It is so easy and ignorant at the same time to say such things targetted at people in this thread,who is that meant for? 

It is targeted those who are obsessed with posting all stories about looters and the relatively few violent protestors and framing it as it is a general characteristica of the millions of protestors in the streets, while simultaneusly ignoring the crimes of police officers at those very same protests.

Authorities abusing power is an issue of a much more dangerous nature than your average criminals. Concentrating the focus on the looters is a distraction, and I question the motives of anybody who does that (Not to say violence among protestors should be completely ignored. It should absolutely also be condemned).

I am not going to point fingers at specific people and indulge in personal attacks if that is what you are asking for. I am attacking a trend I see in this thread.

Some are not so good at thinking one thing/problem completely away because a bigger one exists and they post about that alongside of the other comments and opinions  they make about the main cause,now if those people get negativity towards them just for showing compassion they will ofcourse try to defend themselves but did they invoke that trend you see or was it invoked ?

You yourself even contribute in putting more focus on the trend you claim it is instead of just agreeing that violence is violence.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:

Can you prove that every black person killed by a cop is because of racism, or just plain incapability from that cop?

Or rather: Do you really think it's a coincidence that everytime there is protests like this one, looting and killing always follow suit? At the very least ANTIFA are a bunch of facists and extreme leftists that don't know anything but to cause destruction in their protests. At least everytime I saw them involved, violence was also there. Or can you verify that's not true most of the time they show up?

I care about both subjects. That's why I say All Lives Matter. That's why I want to discuss both the racism AND this wave of hate and violance caused by the protests, unlike some of the users that want to talk about racism but sweep all the other problem under the rug(violance, looting, the hate the protesters have against anyone that dosen't think exactly the same and so on)

Have I claimed they are all because of racism?

Considering how many black people live in America, they are disproportionally more likely to be the target of police brutality than white people. Others have already pointed this out. So racism is an important factor in this.

But this is about more than racism, and indeed the protests are about more than just racism. It is about police brutality.

Do you have any evidence that Antifa is behind this? From what I am reading, it is white suppremacists posing as Antifa online that are calling for violence:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/02/tech/antifa-fake-twitter-account/index.html

And since you claim Antifa are fascist, maybe you can explain to me how exactly they are nationalistic, show strong believe in authority and regimentation of society?

I don't get it. Why is this suddenly such a big topic? Just because of one guy? There isn't any more police violence right now than there was a few months ago, or than there will be in a few months when everyone will have forgotten about this. Just like in a few months people will be outraged because of the next school shooting, and will then forget about it the week after.

Also, why are people acting like this is the biggest problem in the world? It's clearly not. Some people are even going as far as saying that you're not allowed to question it's importance. They are calling other people out for 'staying silent'. That's stupid. Any issues can and should be questioned, within reason of course. Otherwise you're creating a dangerous hivemind in which no one is allowed to deviate from the accepted opinion. More and more, people are not able to accept a different opinion anymore.

By the way, is there any actual proof that the killing of that guy had anything to do with racism? Or is that just the default assumption now? And is there even any actual statistical proof that black people are being targeted by the police? People are acting like that's an objective fact, but I'm kind of sceptical. Yes, I know that the number of black people getting shot is a lot higher than the number of white people. But I don't think that it's that simple.

The number of blacks versus whites getting killed by the police matches quite well with the total crime rate of blacks versus whites. No, I am not saying that black people are inherently more criminal. What I am saying is that poverty is a serious problem in the black community. And poverty is often quite directly the reason why people get involved in crime. Especially crimes like street violence, robbery and drug dealing. I would imagine that these are the exact types of crimes that could potentionally get you shot by the police. So why aren't people protesting economical inequality instead?

I do realise that the correlation between people getting shot and people living in poverty is not perfect. However, it is definitely strong enough to be noted and to nuance this whole 'cops being racist' thing. The issue is clearly a lot more complex than that. But apparently nobody cares about that. That's what bothers me most about this outrage (or any outrage for that matter): there is no room for nuance. Everything needs to be as simple and extreme as possible, since that's what gets people to share it on the internet.

I think that unnuanced outrages like these are a direct cause for the growing political polarisation. I searched on the internet for more level-headed opinions on the matter, but I was severely disappointed. Basically, most of the people who I found disagreeing with the protests are far right racists, who were pushing an opinion that was of course even less nuanced. Apparently, you're only allowed to choose between two opinions nowadays: left or right. Anything in between will make each side think that you actually secretly belong to the other side.

Remember, reality is rarely as simple as a headline or a Twitter post.

(Btw, why do issues like climate change or people dying in poor countries never get this amount of outrage, despite being objectively far worse? Could it be because people would rather not change their own behaviour, since it's a lot easier to just paint the police as evil monsters so you can feel better about yourself?)

Carl said:
Mandalore76 said:

Sure thing, it's just property damage.  Not like the owners of said property (or others attempting to protect it) are getting attacked and beaten or anything...

-snip-

At least 2 of the examples you gave are on the people getting slapped about. Not sure on the details of the 3rd.

Green shirt guy ran at protesters with a sword, worried that people would burn down his local bar and admitted he was in the wrong - Source

Wheelchair lady tried stabbing people trying to get by her, probably doesn't even need the wheelchair - Source

Was it also on David Dorn for getting himself slapped about?  Oh, wait.  He didn't get slapped about.  He was shot dead.  (I'm on mobile right now if this posts weird)

Retired St. Louis Police captain killed after responding to a pawnshop alarm during looting

Flilix said:
I don't get it. Why is this suddenly such a big topic? Just because of one guy? There isn't any more police violence right now than there was a few months ago, or than there will be in a few months when everyone will have forgotten about this. Just like in a few months people will be outraged because of the next school shooting, and will then forget about it the week after.

Also, why are people acting like this is the biggest problem in the world? It's clearly not. Some people are even going as far as saying that you're not allowed to question it's importance. They are calling other people out for 'staying silent'. That's stupid. Any issues can and should be questioned, within reason of course. Otherwise you're creating a dangerous hivemind in which no one is allowed to deviate from the accepted opinion. More and more, people are not able to accept a different opinion anymore.

By the way, is there any actual proof that the killing of that guy had anything to do with racism? Or is that just the default assumption now? And is there even any actual statistical proof that black people are being targeted by the police? People are acting like that's an objective fact, but I'm kind of sceptical. Yes, I know that the number of black people getting shot is a lot higher than the number of white people. But I don't think that it's that simple.

The number of blacks versus whites getting killed by the police matches quite well with the total crime rate of blacks versus whites. No, I am not saying that black people are inherently more criminal. What I am saying is that poverty is a serious problem in the black community. And poverty is often quite directly the reason why people get involved in crime. Especially crimes like street violence, robbery and drug dealing. I would imagine that these are the exact types of crimes that could potentionally get you shot by the police. So why aren't people protesting economical inequality instead?

I do realise that the correlation between people getting shot and people living in poverty is not perfect. However, it is definitely strong enough to be noted and to nuance this whole 'cops being racist' thing. The issue is clearly a lot more complex than that. But apparently nobody cares about that. That's what bothers me most about this outrage (or any outrage for that matter): there is no room for nuance. Everything needs to be as simple and extreme as possible, since that's what gets people to share it on the internet.

I think that unnuanced outrages like these are a direct cause for the growing political polarisation. I searched on the internet for more level-headed opinions on the matter, but I was severely disappointed. Basically, most of the people who I found disagreeing with the protests are far right racists, who were pushing an opinion that was of course even less nuanced. Apparently, you're only allowed to choose between two opinions nowadays: left or right. Anything in between will make each side think that you actually secretly belong to the other side.

(Btw, why do issues like climate change or people dying in poor countries never get this amount of outrage, despite being objectively far worse? Could it be because people would rather not change their own behaviour, since it's a lot easier to just paint the police as evil monsters so you can feel better about yourself?)

You forgot to go one step further, racism is linked to poverty.

Racism -> Less opportunities -> Poverty -> Crime -> More confrontation with police.
It's not just cops that are racist (by life long exposure to stereo types)

It's suddenly such a big topic since we are now living in a pressure cooker. Millions of jobs lost, mostly in the middle and lower classes. Bad outlook for the future while already in debt struggling to make ends meet. Inequality got majorly amplified during this crisis. It only needed a little spark to ignite the flames. It's not only Black lives matter what all the (violent) protests are about. It's distrust of the establishment in general.

This time it won't be forgotten so easily since first there will be the rise in infections and following a rise in deaths. Then the recession hitting hard. Things can get a whole lot worse yet. But we won't have any school shootings when the school are closed... (again).

Flilix said:

It's seems like this should have a simple answer but it doesn't. I'm a black male and a former police officer. I'm just going to make a few comments based on my experience. The area I lived in was about 50/50 black and white with a small percentage of "other" races. 

-We would arrest roughly half and half. Yes, often for different crimes but still, on any given month, it seemed about the same, give or take.

-Despite the previous statement, it seemed like the jail held like 75% black and maybe 25% other. This was just my area so take it with a grain of salt. I did notice that black people often couldn't bond out of jail, no matter how low the bond was.

-On a select few occasions, my arrests just disappeared. Never heard anything about them again. Never went to court. No idea what happened. I have seen people walking out and back on the streets before the paperwork was even done. I'll leave that one alone.

-White people on the whole seemed more cooperative. Yes, I've had to fight and chase after them but if somebody was going to resist, I'd say 2/3 of the time, it was a black person.

-White officers did seem to be more afraid of black people. Often seemed like they were over reacting. Maybe it's because they were dealing with another race and they just didn't know how to relate. I don't know.

-On occasion, i got assigned certain tasks simply for my skin color. Even got credit for certain warrants even though I played a small role. In some ways, I think I was used for political reasons. Working clubs, a dinner for MLK's brother, talking to kids, they made sure I was present.

-I have personally seen black people treated different. Over time, some cops start feeling like everyone is guilty of something. It's just something that slowly creeps over them. Years of dealing with people at their worst. I think they start hating people. They say they don't but you can kinda pick up on it. 

-Maybe 60 years ago, a generation of blacks were denied many rights and education. That spilled into their kids and their grandkids. Think of what life would be like if your grandparents had to start with almost nothing (and who's to say they didn't? I know lots of white families that have struggled and still struggle). That translates to their children and, even though things eventually changed on paper, a lot of people's hearts stayed the same. There's still that hatred being passed down. I've seen it from both blacks and whites. 

-long post. Probably rambling. Probably answered none of your questions. I get scatterbrained sometimes when I have a lot to say and only a few minutes to say it. Gotta go to bed. I'll just say that people want things to get better/change but often don't have the words to articulate exactly what they want. That doesn't make their feelings and complaints invalid. We all need to compromise and maybe have a little empathy.

It's easy for many to say "Everyone in that group is wrong and they need to change" rather than admit that "Maybe my group is part of the problem". And people get defensive so quickly. But, nearing my mid 40s, I can say things are mostly better than they were when I was in my 20s. They're better than they were when my mom was younger. My mom's youth was better than her grandparents. And I feel like we're on track for things to be even better...if we just focus on the good.

Or maybe I'm just naive. Have a good night.