By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - PS5 Games Event - Postponed To Support Protests - Rescheduled Date TBD

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Nautilus said:

Good to know that I can't feel dissapointed about this now.

I'll remember this next time a disaster happens anywhere in the world and you are here spending your time commenting on these forums and not out there, saving the world.

Ridiculous subterfuge and logic twisting because you were inconvenienced. Who's saying you can't be disappointed? Your initial comments were tone deaf and toxic. Just because what is occurring in the U.S. currently doesn't resonate with you, doesn't mean Sony isn't justified in postponing (not canceling) their event. 

And your comments in saying my post is toxic and insensitive and uncaring are not toxic by themselves. Good lord man, look at the mirror.At least I own what I say, I'm no hypocrite.

The same way Sony can do what they did and think its justifiable, and I can say that it's not. Dosen't mean I don't care about what is happening.

Some people are really entitled when they feel attacked.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Dante9 said:
I wonder when the white riots will begin, seeing as more white people are killed unlawfully by the police than black people every year?

Pop Quiz: Can you tell me what you think is wrong about comparing the total number of white people killed unlawfully by the police to the total number of black people? 

Here's a helpful hint: 1000 white people and 10 black people in a room. Police come through and unlawfully kill 10 black people and 11 white people. Which group has a bigger issue with police violence in this room? 

In order to make your example work, you have to add some context and data. These are just random numbers to illustrate, but the general idea is there. 100 whites, 10 blacks. 15 of the whites are criminals career criminals with extensive prison sentences, jail records, etc. But 7 of the blacks are career criminals. Police kill 10 whites but kill 3 blacks. That's 10% for whites but 30% for blacks. Is it really correct to say that blacks have a "higher" chance of getting killed? Isn't it more that blacks are more likely to be criminals, and thus naturally more likely come across police and thus to be killed by police? The issue is not that blacks are targeted by police at a higher rate, it's that they have a much higher criminality rate. THAT's the issue.

This wikipedia article states that blacks made up more than 50% of homocide offenders between 1980 and 2008, despite only making up around 13% of the US population. There are especially enlightening lines in the few paragraphs of that section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States#Crime_statistics

If you take into account the much, MUCH higher criminality rates of blacks, can we still say that they have a higher chance of being killed by police compared to whites? The statistic that blacks have nearly 3 times the chance of being shot comes from the flawed hypotheses that all races act the same way, that is, that they all have the same criminality rates, which is clearly not the case. Higher crime rates = higher chances to meet police = higher chance of getting killed.

Rêveur said:
Torillian said:

Pop Quiz: Can you tell me what you think is wrong about comparing the total number of white people killed unlawfully by the police to the total number of black people? 

Here's a helpful hint: 1000 white people and 10 black people in a room. Police come through and unlawfully kill 10 black people and 11 white people. Which group has a bigger issue with police violence in this room? 

In order to make your example work, you have to add some context and data. These are just random numbers to illustrate, but the general idea is there. 100 whites, 10 blacks. 15 of the whites are criminals career criminals with extensive prison sentences, jail records, etc. But 7 of the blacks are career criminals. Police kill 10 whites but kill 3 blacks. That's 10% for whites but 30% for blacks. Is it really correct to say that blacks have a "higher" chance of getting killed? Isn't it more that blacks are more likely to be criminals, and thus naturally more likely come across police and thus to be killed by police? The issue is not that blacks are targeted by police at a higher rate, it's that they have a much higher criminality rate. THAT's the issue.

This wikipedia article states that blacks made up more than 50% of homocide offenders between 1980 and 2008, despite only making up around 13% of the US population. There are especially enlightening lines in the few paragraphs of that section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States#Crime_statistics

If you take into account the much, MUCH higher criminality rates of blacks, can we still say that they have a higher chance of being killed by police compared to whites? The statistic that blacks have nearly 3 times the chance of being shot comes from the flawed hypotheses that all races act the same way, that is, that they all have the same criminality rates, which is clearly not the case. Higher crime rates = higher chances to meet police = higher chance of getting killed.

Do you also take into account that some of these crimes that are committed is not always by someone that's black? Often times blacks are being falsely arrested and charged for crimes they didn't commit. Doesn't that kind of skew the numbers a bit? Meaning how accurate can the statistics be.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Probably a good move since this is meant to be the PS5 reveal. Might be a smart idea to postphone it to a date people outside of gaming communities actually care. Probably at the end of the month if not Sony might need to delay the PS5 also though, since they probably want to launch it in 6 months so they need to start building up hype.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Rafie said:
Rêveur said:

Do you also take into account that some of these crimes that are committed is not always by someone that's black? Often times blacks are being falsely arrested and charged for crimes they didn't commit. Doesn't that kind of skew the numbers a bit? Meaning how accurate can the statistics be.

How big of a percentage do you actually believe that to be? Do you believe that there's this huge conspiracy against blacks (or maybe you'd call it "institutional racism") that account for these huge numbers and that the actual rates are what, hugely inferior? Honestly, that seems very unlikely. Instead of trying to blame "institutional racism" or "potentially flawed statistics", mabye it's time for the black community to own up to their weaknesses and make a change from within. But of course, it's always someone else's fault. No one is ever responsible for their own acts, it's the fault of men, or white people, or heterosexuals, or the rich. Never your own.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Ridiculous subterfuge and logic twisting because you were inconvenienced. Who's saying you can't be disappointed? Your initial comments were tone deaf and toxic. Just because what is occurring in the U.S. currently doesn't resonate with you, doesn't mean Sony isn't justified in postponing (not canceling) their event. 

And your comments in saying my post is toxic and insensitive and uncaring are not toxic by themselves. Good lord man, look at the mirror.At least I own what I say, I'm no hypocrite.

The same way Sony can do what they did and think its justifiable, and I can say that it's not. Dosen't mean I don't care about what is happening.

You haven't owned anything you've said, you just deflect, twist, and fabricate in order to avoid culpability for the flippant way you dismissed Sony's reason for postponing the event. You're the only one acting entitled here lol 

Rêveur said:
Rafie said:

How big of a percentage do you actually believe that to be? Do you believe that there's this huge conspiracy against blacks (or maybe you'd call it "institutional racism") that account for these huge numbers and that the actual rates are what, hugely inferior? Honestly, that seems very unlikely. Instead of trying to blame "institutional racism" or "potentially flawed statistics", mabye it's time for the black community to own up to their weaknesses and make a change from within. But of course, it's always someone else's fault. No one is ever responsible for their own acts, it's the fault of men, or white people, or heterosexuals, or the rich. Never your own.

Wooo.... you're getting ahead of yourself pal. Who said there's a conspiracy against blacks?! Where in my post did I say that ALL BLACK are innocent of crimes?! Where in my post did you see that I'm ignoring faults? I don't know your demographic or what type of person you are. However, judging from your reply to me, it seems as though you have some preconceived notions about blacks. I won't even address all that bullshit you just spewed about blacks owning up to their weaknesses and such.

The reason being is I'm not in a place right now where I can converse about this without going off the deep end. It wasn't just your reply. It's replies like yours that I see often. Normally, I would use this as a teachable moment and inform you as to why your response is short sighted. Again I'm just not at a place where I can. I thought I could, but I have to bow out. Hopefully someone can enlighten you so that you can better understand where blacks are coming from.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Nautilus said:

You haven't owned anything you've said, you just deflect, twist, and fabricate in order to avoid culpability for the flippant way you dismissed Sony's reason for postponing the event. You're the only one acting entitled here lol 

So I either admit I'm wrong or I am deflecting and blaming others for defending my view? lol

Talk about being delusional.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Rêveur said:
Torillian said:

higher crime rates is a reason that you'll be more likely to get killed by police, it does not change the fact that you are more likely which is what I was arguing. But saying the classic 13-50 dog whistle isn't really helpful either because it has no prescriptive opportunities. Instead the question would be why is the black population more likely to commit crime and how can we change the environment such that those numbers will decrease? I would suggest that that increased crime rate is due to worse socioeconomic status which gives one fewer options. So black people (on average) get fucked by generational poverty which increases their propensity for crime and at the end we say "well of course you guys get shot by the cops more because you commit more crime, just stop committing crime and it'll stop". It's a personal responsibility meme that libertarians like to cling to because thinking about actual data and trends is hard. 

Torillian said:
Dante9 said:
I wonder when the white riots will begin, seeing as more white people are killed unlawfully by the police than black people every year?

1)One might argue that the absolute death count is more relevant than proportional representation, it's a matter of perspective. I would say the problem is in the policing itself, because it affects all races and hundreds of people die every year in these incidents.

2)If you want to talk proportionality, how about the fact, for example, that black males, about 6-7 per cent of the US population, account for about 50 per cent of all homicides? They seem to get themselves into trouble with the law relatively often compared to other groups, but they have no responsibility for anything, it's all just racism?

3)How about the George Floyd case in particular? What is the actual evidence for racism here? I'm sincerely asking. Was the cop heard using a racial slur? Does he have a history of racist remarks or actions? How do we know this was an act of racism, rather than just a stupid use of excessive force?