By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do We Really Want a New Cold War?

iron_megalith said:

For you, CCP clearly did nothing wrong and we should trust them!

I never said that. But not trusting the CCP does not mean believing every fringe conspiracy theory someone spits out, as long as it blames the CCP.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 28 May 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
iron_megalith said:

For you, CCP clearly did nothing wrong and we should trust them!

I never said that. But not trusting the CCP does not mean believing every fringe conspiracy theory someone spits out, as long as it blames the CCP.

And the things I typed before that convenient snip you made are not conspiracy theory. :)

iron_megalith said:
Eagle367 said:

Stop blaming China for the incompetence of your own governments

Oof. Nice false dichotomy right there. Nothing in your statement helped your argument at all! I was having doubts of you being a CCP apologist but clearly you are. You can say all you want about US or some other country that you think did worse. China is in the spotlight because of CCPs incompetence. Everyone is callously saying this is China's fault when in fact it is the CCP. CCP is not China.

One is a country that used to cradle a lot of cultures. The other is an authoritarian regime whose legacy is going on a vendetta to burn its Country's history and heritage. Know the difference.

Oof you are thoroughly brainwashed. First we all know when we say China, we mean the chinese government just as when we say US, we mean US government. The people, language, culture, religion, etc no one blamed except maybe an absolute moron. Just as when I say Israel, US or Saudi Arabia, I don't mean Judaism, Christianity or Islam at all. 

The world knew of the virus long before things hot really bad. We've known since February. After that, it's the fault of individual nations. The US, Italy, etc didn't take it seriously while South Korea, new Zealand, etc did. The results of the efforts of individual nations is apparent. China (CCP) isn't at fault for the incompetence of any government. For example, the 100,000 dead in US is the fault of the US government. There were barely any cases or deaths when the virus came to light.

You might hate the CCP and I do hate the CCP for various reasons, but it's laughable that you're trying to scapegoat them for the incompetence of your leaders. Just learn to accept reality that some governments just suck and didn't handle this properly at all. CCP isn't a shining example of handling it for their own people either.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

EnricoPallazzo said:
Nobody wants it, but it is inevitable.
Unless the western world, mainly USA and Europe, accepts China dominance, including the censorship and lack of democracy and freedom their interference in our way of life.
If the western world this this is ok, then well there is nothing to be done and let future generations judge us.
I would rather much live under the western way of life, despite all its problems, than china's.

Sorry but the US isn't the paragon of freedom you all make it to be, it's a paragon of Imperialism and war. I'm tired of the entirety of the west being weighed down by the evils of the US. Sorry but the western way of life isn't a monolith. It's a hodgepodge of good and bad. The US, UK, France, Australia and Germany have many of the bad but Germany has become much better. The others are bogged down by the war mongering, imperialism, and superiority complex of these powerful nations. I would love the western way if you mean Canada, Norway, New Zealand, etc and I don't really want the authoritarianism, austerity, manufactured consent, imperialism and oligarchy of the US regimes. I don't want China's or Russia's world either.

But we all know we're gonna be stuck under either China or the US and it's about dick measuring and which authority stomps on global human rights. So I would much rather have peace than world war 3. The middle east, africa and south America have already suffered a lot because of the hegemony of the US and UK before it, with a little bit of French flavour so just imagine what we all would suffer in a world war? 

I choose peace over war any day and war doesn't help in changing ideologies, interaction of cultures, views and minds is what changes things for the better. Diplomacy over war any day.

Eagle367 said:
iron_megalith said:

Oof. Nice false dichotomy right there. Nothing in your statement helped your argument at all! I was having doubts of you being a CCP apologist but clearly you are. You can say all you want about US or some other country that you think did worse. China is in the spotlight because of CCPs incompetence. Everyone is callously saying this is China's fault when in fact it is the CCP. CCP is not China.

One is a country that used to cradle a lot of cultures. The other is an authoritarian regime whose legacy is going on a vendetta to burn its Country's history and heritage. Know the difference.

Oof you are thoroughly brainwashed. First we all know when we say China, we mean the chinese government just as when we say US, we mean US government. The people, language, culture, religion, etc no one blamed except maybe an absolute moron. Just as when I say Israel, US or Saudi Arabia, I don't mean Judaism, Christianity or Islam at all. 

The world knew of the virus long before things hot really bad. We've known since February. After that, it's the fault of individual nations. The US, Italy, etc didn't take it seriously while South Korea, new Zealand, etc did. The results of the efforts of individual nations is apparent. China (CCP) isn't at fault for the incompetence of any government. For example, the 100,000 dead in US is the fault of the US government. There were barely any cases or deaths when the virus came to light.

You might hate the CCP and I do hate the CCP for various reasons, but it's laughable that you're trying to scapegoat them for the incompetence of your leaders. Just learn to accept reality that some governments just suck and didn't handle this properly at all. CCP isn't a shining example of handling it for their own people either.

You're butting into a conversation and picking at things that I have already provided arguments for. And no, the virus was not in February. That's only when it was starting to blow up across the globe. Thanks for playing.

Last edited by iron_megalith - on 28 May 2020

Around the Network

One interesting news. Many US states are doing what many of you are accusing CCP of doing, misreporting numbers by a large margin. I don't trust chinese numbers at all but I don't trust American numbers either. Thing is a lot of the things the US government accuses other authoritarian nations of doing like Russia election interference and whatever they put on the CCP, they do it themselves. That's why I know China is bad but not how US propaganda portrays it to be. They are all birds of a feather using different techniques to have money,power and control

Eagle367 said:
One interesting news. Many US states are doing what many of you are accusing CCP of doing, misreporting numbers by a large margin. I don't trust chinese numbers at all but I don't trust American numbers either. Thing is a lot of the things the US government accuses other authoritarian nations of doing like Russia election interference and whatever they put on the CCP, they do it themselves. That's why I know China is bad but not how US propaganda portrays it to be. They are all birds of a feather using different techniques to have money,power and control

And there we go again. The US does it argument. You are free to conduct your own research friend. Good luck doing the same thing under CCP rule.

I agree with the sentiments of the article, but it's a pretty bad article, to be honest. The guy who wrote it does not really understand what the Cold War was, at least from how he writes about it. It looks like he's using "Cold War" to mean, just, war in general. The Cold War was a very, very specific thing in history and is not going to be replicated any time soon.

If he's talking about war with China then, yeah, no, of course no one wants that. China does not want it, nor do logical policy advisers in the US (not even ones in the Trump administration). What is most likely going to happen in the coming decades is the US allowing China to craft its own sphere of influence on its side of the globe. Case in point: Hong Kong. The Trump administration and most administrations in the West will not lift a finger to help it. The Trump administration has very specifically said that Hong Kong is not its problem.

Anyway, this is a tangent, but: most people in this thread are confusing ideology with countries actually being willing to go to war with each other. In history, war has always been based on material gains (through territorial gain or otherwise). Countries did not go to war unless it proved well in a cost benefit analysis (if they won, of course, and no one goes into a war thinking they are going to lose). Again, the Cold War is one of the exceptions that proves the rule on this one (another exception is the First Crusade, but very certainly none of the following ones). The Cold War was an ideological struggle, and even it was based on material consequences at the very centre of it. The West had its own economic system that it was benefitting from; they obviously did not want communism. It was not good vs evil but more of "hey, I want to keep my toys bro" versus "do you men our toys, comrade?"

So, finally, about the whole material gains and war thing: we are at a point in history where war is significantly less likely because of globalisation and international institutions (not just government institutions like the United Nations, I also mean banking, development, agriculture, and a bunch of others). Materially, there is more to lose from going to war now than ever before in any point in history. Great Power wars will not happen like they used to; at least not in the next 50 years. If that happens, it will be due to global warming and resource scarcity. Small wars? Sure, they're happening right now; many players have a lot to to gain from small wars (keeps the economy running).

I don't know how to bring this up without sanding like an ass, but here it goes: I just got my Master's in International Relations (focusing on peace & conflict) so if anybody wants to sincerely discuss this stuff, I'm game. Covid has me not being able to practice my degree due to canceled traineeships.

iron_megalith said:
Eagle367 said:

And there we go again. The US does it argument. You are free to conduct your own research friend. Good luck doing the same thing under CCP rule.

Well China doesn't invade or use it's intelligence agencies to commit coups and wars in the middle east and south America either. So US is worse internationally while China domestically. And US also got to Julian Assange and whistle blowers for them exposing US war crimes and evils. So if you have any influential enough voice, the US is coming for you as well.