Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware May 10 to 16

DonFerrari said:
trunkswd said:

I just did some major adjustments based on NPD figures. Adjustments were made in most regions worldwide.

Worldwide lifetime adjustments:

• NS adjusted up 1,137,000 units
  • PS4 adjusted up 846,600 units
  • X1 adjusted up 433,900 units
  • 3DS adjusted up 38,600 units

If it makes PS4 reaches 130M sooner I'm all in =p

Yes it does. Also brings the Xbox One closer to 50 million, making it nearly guaranteed to hit that number by the end of the year. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

With these adjustments, it]s just insanity how much switch is selling. It's gonna be a 100mil+ seller for sure and quite possibly get closer to NDS and PS2 than any other console.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Nice to see every console adjusted up, NS absolutely excellent, PS4 very good second, excellent considering its age. XBOne still alive and this week again, after adjustments, in a far better condition than what unadjusted numbers made believe, HW comparison tool shows that the partial resurrection started at the beginning of March.
Anyhow, the most noteworthy things are how much AC boosted NS and how much FF VII remake did it with PS4.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

trunkswd said:
DonFerrari said:

If it makes PS4 reaches 130M sooner I'm all in =p

Yes it does. Also brings the Xbox One closer to 50 million, making it nearly guaranteed to hit that number by the end of the year. 

X1 will be well within my prediction range and PS4 as well.

As far as I remember I have predicted X1 to be 50-60M and PS4 120-130M.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
trunkswd said:

Thats been my prediction as well pretty much since launch, 3rd consecutive generation where PS+XB sell about the same.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Thats been my prediction as well pretty much since launch, 3rd consecutive generation where PS+XB sell about the same.

Exactly, reason why I sustain that Nintendo haven't been directly competing with then Wii, WiiU and Switch had their own market. Wii bringing people that didn't game, WiiU having just the hardcore Nintendo fanbase due to the issues, Switch bringing their big portable fanbase, nintendo hardcore and also a good overlap of Xbox and PS fans that either like Nintendo IPs or wanted a good portable option. And also reason why Switch didn't impact PS4+X1 sales nor will PS5+XSX impact Switch sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
trunkswd said:

The pandemic has done wonders for the gaming market. Now movies, we know the box office is basically at nothing right now. Though, I bet Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc subscriptions are all up. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
DonFerrari said:

The pandemic has done wonders for the gaming market. Now movies, we know the box office is basically at nothing right now. Though, I bet Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc subscriptions are all up. 

Yes things are all mixed and messed up.

Read and share the article here.

Year on Year Sales & Market Share Charts - May 16, 2020 

Here we see data representing the global sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the four home consoles and four handhelds over comparable periods for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020.  Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2017 – (Week ending January 7 to May 20)

2018 – (Week ending January 6 to May 19)

2019 – (Week ending January 5 to May 18)

2020 – (Week ending January 4 to May 16)

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

"Year to date" sales for 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2020 versus 2019 and 2020 versus 2018 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Microsoft

• Xbox One – Up Year-on-Year 371,040 (30.0%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch - Up Year-on-Year 3,690,145 (80.1%)
  • Nintendo 3DS – Down Year-on-Year 500,669 (-75.5%)

Sony

• PlayStation 4 – Down Year-on-Year 192,689 (-4.0%)

where are now all those people who said 10M total for the PS4 this year and 3M total for XB1 ???
where!?!?!?
and the how bad will the PS4 drop with the PS3 examples.. I am laughing
just like PS1 and PS2 did in their latest year, the chances are now getting bigger for the PS4 to do the same.. if not better, and is doing it at 300$ now.
And we still have big games to come out for it until the year end .. so one drop last year from 18M to 14M and that was it, this year has to be around the same or 1-2M drop at max. What were those 30-40% you talked about ? where are they ? just like ps1 and ps2 had some years with little to no drops in their last years, now is PS4 turn to have years like these .. one drop per 2/3 years. And if Sony are smart they can help it.. they can make 50 to 100$ price drop at let's say september, and in 2022 or 2023 again to maintain good level of sales just like PS2 and PS1 were, and there you go, PS4 can reach very very good numbers LT maybe around 140-150M if it continues to sell at a good for it's years level just like this and last year (because 14M for console in its 6th and 7th year is just awesome) and even if they didn't do pricecuts (just like PS3) PS4 is now doing around double the sales of the PS3 in its 7th year, so even without pricecuts PS4 still should reach at least 135-140M, if we put around 13-14M for this year - this is 120M for this year and I don't believe it will have big drops, however let's make haters's scenario - so let put next year at around 8-10M, so we are at 128-130M with 2021, the at least 4-5M with 2022, and 2-3m more for maybe last year - 2023 this is around 138M lifetime, and this is in worst case scenario with big drops - around 50% per year, which PS console don't do ( the PS3 is the only exception, however this console was selling way worse in it's life than PS4, and PS4 will die way better )

All of this is without any pricecuts, and I think this is preety realistic prediction to even the haters around here.

As for the xbox one I can see there is possibility for it to reach 55M with good marketing for the next 2-3 years and permanent pricecuts. ( because this year xbox one is getting to 50M like it or not, and for the next 2-3 years that will be on the market it is preety realistic it can make another 5M. )

Last edited by yo33331 - on 22 May 2020