By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if?: Bring Wii U back!

What do you think?

YASSSSS BRING IT 8 25.00%

Yeah, it will probably work 0 0%

Yes! I would try it! 2 6.25%

Meh, didn't care, so ever... 2 6.25%

NO, let this gimmick die! 20 62.50%

Total:32

Not the console, but the games that showcase the Wii U uniqueness like Nintendo Land  and Game & Wario.

So you question me: "How?"

Well is not that difficult if you think about it. Switch already has a screen but you disable that when you put in the docking station BUT with a 2 part device that plugs in the switch and in the USB entrance in the docking station to create an wireless connection and Voilá! You have dual screen just like the Wii U with your Switch!

You now question me: "ehh, why though.."

Well because it's fun, plus many Wii U games are getting a second chance and improving their sales. I can see a lot of potential with these games. 

Disclaimer:  I am not saying that Nintendo should try again the whole concept of second screen. Just bring back the games that actually work with the second screen in a fun way and if you take that off, you lose the entire concept of the game.

Just like the cardboard from Nintendo labo and the Ring from RFA, I would expect the same for the dual screen: it wouldn't be pushed too hard simply because the Switch hardware doesn't revolve around these gimmicks.

Disclaimer 2: I miss playing Nintendo Land but I don't feel like putting my Wii U back to life and search for Wii remotes that work or buying batteries ever again. Pls, Nintendo, listen to me...

Your thoughts...

Last edited by 160rmf - on 21 May 2020

We reap what we sow

Around the Network

no

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I do miss having a second screen for inventory management. I would have loved to see what they could have come up with with 2 Gamepads... Still daydream about a Yugioh game :P

I'm all for them experimenting.

1doesnotsimply

I wanted to post a poll, asking what would have been the lifetime sales of the Wii U if Nintendo had tried to push the console until the end of this generation, with a more powerful Switch only arriving in 2019-2020.

I would say 30-35 millions. Every current games that the Switch has today would have run easily on the Wii U with just a bit lower resolution.

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:
I do miss having a second screen for inventory management. I would have loved to see what they could have come up with with 2 Gamepads... Still daydream about a Yugioh game :P

I'm all for them experimenting.

The arena on TV and your hand on gamepad?

Ohhh that would be brilliant!

We reap what we sow

Don't forget that this year we have 2 physical Wii U games!
...at least in Europe.
The Wii U was my main console for years, with it I first played so many nintendo franchises both new and retro.
I love it and it never died for me.
Even if nintendo removes it from their history, for me it will always be one of my favorite consoles of all time.

SV said:
Don't forget that this year we have 2 physical Wii U games!
...at least in Europe.
The Wii U was my main console for years, with it I first played so many nintendo franchises both new and retro.
I love it and it never died for me.
Even if nintendo removes it from their history, for me it will always be one of my favorite consoles of all time.

I didn't know there were a few physical releases in Europe this year, that's cool. I know there have been a few digital games worldwide. For a console that flopped so hard, it's still getting a few crumbs.

And it's more than a little hypocritical that Nintendo sweeps the Wii U under the rug considering all the Wii U ports on the Switch. I mean the single best-selling game on Switch is a Wii U port. And in fairness, Mario Kart 8 was also the best-selling game on Wii U before it was ever ported to Switch. But I suppose Nintendo ignores the Wii U so much so that they can get away with so many ports and pretend that they are new games.

In regards to the OP's idea, it's too cumbersome. Using a Switch Lite or Switch in handheld mode while another Switch is docked seems pretty cumbersome. The whole second screen concept was not fully utilized with Wii U and there's not really a good way to improve it with Switch.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I still hope to see Meme Run Super Deluxe for Switch

I want Pikmin 3 on Switch but I just don't know if I can play it without the second screen. I like the idea but even then, two Switches is a lot to ask of the average gamer.