Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What if?: Bring Wii U back!

What do you think?

YASSSSS BRING IT 6 20.69%

Yeah, it will probably work 0 0.00%

Yes! I would try it! 2 6.90%

Meh, didn't care, so ever... 2 6.90%

NO, let this gimmick die! 19 65.52%

Total:29
160rmf said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Buying 2 Switches is... fun?

To each their own I guess. It's definitely expensive and pretty ridiculous though.

*Meanwhile people buying both of the HD twins*

For a family with 2 kids, I can assure it is fun to buy 2 instead of 1 if they don't wanna see they killing each other for a playtime.

But yeah, for people who own only one switch they won't be so tempted to spend a lot of cash to play a few games that explore the dual screen and relying on a friend or relative that also owns a switch is not that easy.

I figured out a better idea: A 2 part device that plugs on the switch and on the USB entrance in the docking station to create an wireless connection

Except if you have to combine 2 of them to play some games those 2 kids might still be killing each other for playtime

Yeah, an extra device that plugs in would definitely be a better idea. It should be much cheaper than having to buy a whole 2nd console.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Around the Network

I originally thought this thread would be about something else...

What if Wii U and Switch had their libraries switched. For example: What if the Wii U got BoTW on launch, while the Switch gets BoTW when Switch 2 launched. What if Wii U got Super Mario Odyssey while Switch got Super Mario 3D world. What if Wii U got MK8 while Switch got MK8, oh wait... What if Wii U got Animal Crossing while Switch got Wonderful 101.

Would it have made a massive difference?

Farsala said:
I originally thought this thread would be about something else...

What if Wii U and Switch had their libraries switched. For example: What if the Wii U got BoTW on launch, while the Switch gets BoTW when Switch 2 launched. What if Wii U got Super Mario Odyssey while Switch got Super Mario 3D world. What if Wii U got MK8 while Switch got MK8, oh wait... What if Wii U got Animal Crossing while Switch got Wonderful 101.

Would it have made a massive difference?

No. The Wii U was a bad idea, and coming from the Wii (which was an overclocked GC pretty much) Nintendo needed time to craft something like BotW and Odyssey. The Wii U wasn't going to survive another year or two in the market, it was dead on the water. Nintendo introduced a pricey system that was competitive with the PS3 and 360 in terms of specs a year before the PS4 and the Xbox One would arrive to blow it out of the water. The Switch is just a stroke of genius, obviously BotW at launch helped, but the system was a much easier sell than the Wii U ever was.

voted yes before actually reading... :P I thought you meant make more games for the actual thing

now for the Switch I don't think it's worth it, there are much better things they could do

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Wman1996 said:
SV said:
Don't forget that this year we have 2 physical Wii U games!
...at least in Europe.
The Wii U was my main console for years, with it I first played so many nintendo franchises both new and retro.
I love it and it never died for me.
Even if nintendo removes it from their history, for me it will always be one of my favorite consoles of all time.

I didn't know there were a few physical releases in Europe this year, that's cool. I know there have been a few digital games worldwide. For a console that flopped so hard, it's still getting a few crumbs.

And it's more than a little hypocritical that Nintendo sweeps the Wii U under the rug considering all the Wii U ports on the Switch. I mean the single best-selling game on Switch is a Wii U port. And in fairness, Mario Kart 8 was also the best-selling game on Wii U before it was ever ported to Switch. But I suppose Nintendo ignores the Wii U so much so that they can get away with so many ports and pretend that they are new games.

In regards to the OP's idea, it's too cumbersome. Using a Switch Lite or Switch in handheld mode while another Switch is docked seems pretty cumbersome. The whole second screen concept was not fully utilized with Wii U and there's not really a good way to improve it with Switch.

Top 10 best selling Switch games.
1) Mario Kart 8. - Wii U Port.
2) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. - Wii U Port.
3) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. - Wii U Port.
4) Super Mario Odyssey. - Switch Exclusive.
5) Pokemon Sword and Shield. - Switch Exclusive. (Probably a ported unreleased 3DS game going by it's poor visuals.)
6) Animal Crossing: New Horizons. - Switch Exclusive.
7) Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu! - Switch Exclusive. Remake.
8) Splatoon 2. - Switch Exclusive.
9) Super Mario Party. - Wii U Port.
10) New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. - Wii U Port.

50% of the Switch's best selling titles ARE ports from the WiiU.
Arguably, the WiiU's issue was not game quality or popularity but likely quantity and poor hardware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Wman1996 said:

I didn't know there were a few physical releases in Europe this year, that's cool. I know there have been a few digital games worldwide. For a console that flopped so hard, it's still getting a few crumbs.

And it's more than a little hypocritical that Nintendo sweeps the Wii U under the rug considering all the Wii U ports on the Switch. I mean the single best-selling game on Switch is a Wii U port. And in fairness, Mario Kart 8 was also the best-selling game on Wii U before it was ever ported to Switch. But I suppose Nintendo ignores the Wii U so much so that they can get away with so many ports and pretend that they are new games.

In regards to the OP's idea, it's too cumbersome. Using a Switch Lite or Switch in handheld mode while another Switch is docked seems pretty cumbersome. The whole second screen concept was not fully utilized with Wii U and there's not really a good way to improve it with Switch.

5) Pokemon Sword and Shield. - Switch Exclusive. (Probably a ported unreleased 3DS game going by it's poor visuals.)

Arguably, the WiiU's issue was not game quality or popularity but likely quantity and poor hardware.

Smash Ultimate isn't a port; it takes A LOT of the framework of Smash 4 Wii U as a baseline, such as engine, art style, animations and move lists, but it's as much a port as Splatoon 2 is to the original. There is plenty of new enough in it to justify it's status as a sequel.

I say this as someone who would have been just fine with a port of it.

Amnesia said:

I wanted to post a poll, asking what would have been the lifetime sales of the Wii U if Nintendo had tried to push the console until the end of this generation, with a more powerful Switch only arriving in 2019-2020.

I would say 30-35 millions. Every current games that the Switch has today would have run easily on the Wii U with just a bit lower resolution.

Eh, I don't see it. Keep in mind that many of the current games that Switch has today are Wii U ports, and that Nintendo gets away with them practically being new games in the eyes of a lot of gamers because those same games couldn't get them to buy a Wii U (look at Pemalite's post).

Also keep in mind that the vast majority of the third party support on the Switch that aren't pure indy games flat out would not be on the Wii U: No Skyrim, no Dark Souls, no Dooms, No Wolfensteins, no Hellblade, no NBA 2K, no Street Fighter, no Tales of Vesperia, no Ni no Kuni, no Okami HD, no Dragon Quest XI, none of Namco's anime licenses, and so on. Most of those games could have been on Wii U a long time ago, but they never came. Wii U got one 2K, and that was it. And the third party ports that Wii U did get (and would possibly get in this hypothetical example) would be the worst selling versions, because people wouldn't see a point in getting them over other consoles. The Wii U doesn't have the portability factor of the Switch that makes the latter a gamechanger.

It's not a reach to say that exclusive games like Octopath Traveler and the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei V would at best be afterthought ports, but probably would be Sony exclusives as well without some serious moneyhatting from Nintendo.

Would the Wii U even be able to get to 20 million at this point if the Switch didn't exist yet? I doubts it.

Last edited by burninmylight - 2 days ago

trunkswd said:
As a fan of the classic Star Fox games, I couldn't stand Star Fox Zero, which makes me so no to bringing back those style of games.

Starfox Zero was the kind of thing that is better be forgotten. Forcing the dualscreen when it's not needed and making the game worse with messy controls is a big no. Considering how bad was the reception and the sales, I gotta say that Miyamoto regretted even thinking about this

We reap what we sow

burninmylight said:
Pemalite said:

Smash Ultimate isn't a port; it takes A LOT of the framework of Smash 4 Wii U as a baseline, such as engine, art style, animations and move lists, but it's as much a port as Splatoon 2 is to the original. There is plenty of new enough in it to justify it's status as a sequel.

I say this as someone who would have been just fine with a port of it.

Eh. I consider it an enhanced port due to the re-use of the engine and so forth, allot of effort went into it though, no doubt.

Can it still stand as a standalone title? Sure. But I would argue that allot of the added-extras in the Switch version could have just been WiiU DLC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

160rmf said:
trunkswd said:
As a fan of the classic Star Fox games, I couldn't stand Star Fox Zero, which makes me so no to bringing back those style of games.

Starfox Zero was the kind of thing that is better be forgotten. Forcing the dualscreen when it's not needed and making the game worse with messy controls is a big no. Considering how bad was the reception and the sales, I gotta say that Miyamoto regretted even thinking about this

Very true. I'd rather a game more like Star Fox 64, but with more levels and more unlockable paths. Maybe have an overworld where you can go pack and replay levels to unlock the different paths. Something like we see in Mario. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.