By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

Too early to tell cause there's more events from both companies.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
"Where was the pizzazz? The mind-blowing graphics? The huge step in gaming experiences that we've been waiting for?"

I think these morons forget we didn't really have that in 2013 either. Most was cross gen, while the next gen exclusives weren't amazing. Some of the most impressive games this gen came years later or will be here at the end.

Anyhow, another great find by goopy.

Hmm,

Ryse: Son of Rome looked amazing and instantly showed the difference between the 360 and the XB1. It could've been a better game but it wanted to look nice and it did that super well.
KZ Shadowfall did the same and Infamous SS a couple months later.

The cross-gen games like Black flag and Cod Ghosts were the games that didn't really show anything. 

(I support the cross gen approach, as it helps XB1 owners get more value out of their purchase and we will get those next gen experiences eventually. In the meantime I'm sure there will be some games that show the big difference between the hardware)

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

OK if the quote is not enouff did you watch the entire video then? Its basicly all praise. And Im not guaranting anythin as I have no way of knowing. Im just repeating what other "experts" say  that know more than me and it makes me hopefull. 

And there is nothing wrong with that.  I just know these tech demos are often to show what the engine is capable of when pushed under ideal conditions.

I am not saying next gen won't be impressive, just keeping expectations in check.  Until I see things in action with enemies, open worlds, and various NPCs with AI walking around all at once on my own console, there is no reason for me to believe this tech demo is representative of the games I will be playing.

Tech demo's exist to "demonstrate technology".
Tech = Technology.
Demo's = Demonstrations.

The technology being demonstrated in this instance was the Lighting (Lumin) and Geometry (Nanite).

It is not a representation of any particular games coming out or what the platform is capable of, it is a representation of those two technologies running on that hardware set.

chakkra said:

That is literally the whole concept of scalability. I think the issue here is that you dont seem to want to accept that games can be built around the highest denominator and then scaled down. Epic can do it, Sony can do it, MS can do it, and I think pretty much any studio would be able to do it if they so desire.

In the PC's case the opposite happens. Games are built for the consoles... And then scale upwards to high-end PC's by tacking on new features and effects.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Shiken said:

So being pro consumer is now letting down said consumers....?

Most games have always been cross gen for about 2 years for new consoles.  It is why the "PS4 has no gamez" and the "indiestation 4" became a thing at the start of last gen.  The only difference is that MS is allowing you to only have to buy the game once if you don't have the money or supplies are limited for next gen.

People hating on this move are really trying too hard...

People always say 2 years, but it was more like 1 year.
Sony used 2nd party + 3rd party exclusives to more than make up for it, by the early-mid 2nd year they had a higher output of excules than xbox did.

Basically apart from the launch year, I think xbox got its arse handed to it, by sony in terms of software.

kirby007 said:

you expect parity between xox and xsx?
you aren't serious i hope?

Well did you see any game in MS's conference that looked like it couldn't be possible on Xbox One? Smart Delivery is basically the same thing we're seeing on pc or with ps4 pro/ X1X patches. MS did a great job marketing it, but isn't it normal that we don't have to pay for ps4 pro and X1X patches?

Like Permalite said, multi platform games are usually designed with the lowest common denominator (Xbox One) as the base platform and then up-scaled for more powerful hardware, mostly by simply increasing resolution/framerate and adding some effects. That's why MS didn't wow people like Sony did. They were showing X1 games running in 4k with some added effects, while the tech demo was designed to showcase what's possible on ps5 by using the specific next-gen features of Unreal 5. The demo was probably pushing the ps5 to its limits at 30fps/1440p and would set the ps4 on fire if you tried to run it on there.

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
kirby007 said:

you expect parity between xox and xsx?
you aren't serious i hope?

Well did you see any game in MS's conference that looked like it couldn't be possible on Xbox One? Smart Delivery is basically the same thing we're seeing on pc or with ps4 pro/ X1X patches. MS did a great job marketing it, but isn't it normal that we don't have to pay for ps4 pro and X1X patches?

Like Permalite said, multi platform games are usually designed with the lowest common denominator (Xbox One) as the base platform and then up-scaled for more powerful hardware, mostly by simply increasing resolution/framerate and adding some effects. That's why MS didn't wow people like Sony did. They were showing X1 games running in 4k with some added effects, while the tech demo was designed to showcase what's possible on ps5 by using the specific next-gen features of Unreal 5. The demo was probably pushing the ps5 to its limits at 30fps/1440p and would set the ps4 on fire if you tried to run it on there.

aside from the probably, how many times did you pay for gta V?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Not really. Ms is always been about getting as many people to play the games. They succeeded that with gamepass. Their strategy works cause as new games or old games are a guarantee success as millions of people get access to it. Less likely to close down due to lacklustre sales. I am sure we will still get next gen awesomeness despite it coming on older machines. The der machines will just have dialled down graphics

People are downplaying the potential effect this will have on first-year sales for the XsX. Yes, we know that most games are cross-gen, but 1-2 truly next-gen titles should have been a given for a new system IMO. Will we see some jaw-dropping games later on? Sure, but why not give us a glimpse of what to expect at launch. Honestly, I doubt that a cross-gen Halo will be enough. But hey, only time will tell whose approach will be better.

Ryse or Shadow Fall were no way groundbreaking, as many pointed out, but man it was an amazing tech-demo for the Xone and PS4, and games like these will be missed. I really do hope that Sony will have some trully next-gen exclusives at launch.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

kirby007 said:
goopy20 said:

I usually don't buy games twice but GTA5 was the rare exception when I did actually. I never said smart delivery is a terrible idea, it is very consumer friendly and it would be a nice bonus if Sony offered something similar. All I'm saying is that I don't think it should be their main focus. Series X running the same games as the X1, only better, simply isn't going to get consumers fired up like the promise of new experiences would.

We will see in July, but tell me honestly that you wouldn't be disappointed if they again showed a bunch of 1st party X1 games with an optimized for Series X logo? I'd much rather see something that isn't running in 120fps and makes the same kind of impression the Unreal 5 demo did.

Last edited by goopy20 - on 18 May 2020

goopy20 said:
kirby007 said:

I usually don't buy games twice but GTA5 was the rare exception when I did actually. I never said smart delivery is a terrible idea, it is very consumer friendly and it would be a nice bonus if Sony offered something similar. All I'm saying is that I don't think it should be their main focus. Series X running the same games as the X1, only better, simply isn't going to fire up consumers like the promise of new experiences would.

We will see in July, but tell me honestly that you wouldn't be disappointed if they again showed a bunch of 1st party X1 games with an optimized for Series X logo? I'd much rather see something that isn't running in 120fps, 4k and makes the same kind of impression as the Unreal 5 demo did.

im going on a limb here and say that the upscaling probably won't be solely resolutionwise, but also regarding assets, quite sure someone else here mentioned that aswell, besides thats what i got from the UE5 demo....

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.