Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

Seems some people still don't realize that the "wow factor" that used to be present with new hardware died with the PS360.  We will never see leaps like we used to.

There will be some visual improvements sure, but most of what these leaps will entail will be more geared toward physics, special effects, and AI moving forward.

Dint Geoff Keelly said thats a absurd prediction? And shortly after the UE5 tech demo blew everyone away so why still make this kind of remark? 

Because tech demos do not represent what we see in our actual console games and Keelly is just spouting PR.  We see the same line spun every generation along with the whole "X console will out perform PC" nonsense.

Don't believe me?  Look up a video of the tech demos for UE4 or even UE3.  The games never hild up to the tech demos, as tech demos often portray performance not attainable in practice on retail consoles.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Around the Network
Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

Dint Geoff Keelly said thats a absurd prediction? And shortly after the UE5 tech demo blew everyone away so why still make this kind of remark? 

Because tech demos do not represent what we see in our actual console games and Keelly is just spouting PR.  We see the same line spun every generation along with the whole "X console will out perform PC" nonsense.

Don't believe me?  Look up a video of the tech demos for UE4 or even UE3.  The games never hild up to the tech demos, as tech demos often portray performance not attainable in practice on retail consoles.

Start at the 20min mark if you like. DF would disagree with you. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

Hey if you want to believe you will see a PS2 to PS3 level leap, you are free to either lie to yourself or be disappointed.  No skin off my nose.  I am not that impressed by the tech demo, and nothing you say will change that.

Especially when your best argument is a cherry picked quote right after they say they don't know if most developers will be able to take advantage of everything we are seeing in the demo.  Not to mention the fact that this engine is compatible with last gen consoles, making your entire argument about a next gen console leap being more than what it will be completely moot out of the gate.

Last edited by Shiken - on 17 May 2020

All I see are people being biased based on whether they like Sony or Microsoft. As a neutral party because I play Ninty and don't care much for graphics, I think Microsoft has the right approach. Projecting the image of being consumer friendly and games/gamer focused is usually what drives out the best results for all 3 companies plus Microsoft needs people to adopt it's services like game pass, xcloud, etc more than they need to sell individual games or even consoles. Microsoft isn't even playing the consoles sold numbers game because they can't win them or profit much off them if they do. Being considered a brand that's consumer friendly is much more important than anything else for them.

As for Sony, they are really sticking with the less is more strategy and let's be honest, they need to screw up royally for the ps5 not to succeed. But they need to show something tangible at some point because too much teasing can be harmful.

The really fun battle is the mind games between Microsoft and Sony on who unveils their pricing first because Microsoft was caught off guard with Xbox one and PS4. Microsoft would love to undercut sony's price tag.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

Hey if you want to believe you will see a PS2 to PS3 level leap, you are free to either lie to yourself or be disappointed.  No skin off my nose.  I am not that impressed by the tech demo, and nothing you say will change that.

Especially when your best argument is a cherry picked quote right after they say they don't know if most developers will be able to take advantage of everything we are seeing in the demo.  Not to mention the fact that this engine is compatible with last gen consoles, making your entire argument about a next gen console leap being more than what it will be completely moot out of the gate.

OK if the quote is not enouff did you watch the entire video then? Its basicly all praise. And Im not guaranting anythin as I have no way of knowing. Im just repeating what other "experts" say  that know more than me and it makes me hopefull. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Have you ever seen a console launch lineup?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

OK if the quote is not enouff did you watch the entire video then? Its basicly all praise. And Im not guaranting anythin as I have no way of knowing. Im just repeating what other "experts" say  that know more than me and it makes me hopefull. 

And there is nothing wrong with that.  I just know these tech demos are often to show what the engine is capable of when pushed under ideal conditions.

I am not saying next gen won't be impressive, just keeping expectations in check.  Until I see things in action with enemies, open worlds, and various NPCs with AI walking around all at once on my own console, there is no reason for me to believe this tech demo is representative of the games I will be playing.

Last edited by Shiken - on 17 May 2020

Well they haven't really show what they can, just one AAA crossgen game, the rest were indies. But yes they aren't making people hyped with that. But let's see what they show around July.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

There were loads of posts about lowering expectations after MS did their showcase, but the Unreal demo had the exact opposite effect. Sure, previous unreal demo's weren't always realistic but they were also way more abstract. This was an actual playable demo running on a ps5. Personally it showed pretty much what I was expecting from next gen consoles. 

My guess is that Sony will have gameplay footage during their reveal that'll look similar or even exceed the Unreal demo. However, if MS goes all out with their "smart delivery" strategy, I'm not sure they'll have that same wow factor.

goopy20 said:
Shiken said:

There were loads of posts about lowering expectations after MS did their showcase, but the Unreal demo had the exact opposite effect. Sure, previous unreal demo's weren't always realistic but they were also way more abstract. This was an actual playable demo running on a ps5. Personally it showed pretty much what I was expecting from next gen consoles. 

My guess is that Sony will have gameplay footage during their reveal that'll look similar or even exceed the Unreal demo. However, if MS goes all out with their "smart delivery" strategy, I'm not sure they'll have that same wow factor.

So a scalable engine demo designed to work on the beefiest of PCs to next gen consoles all the way down to Fortnite on smartphones showcased “pretty much what you expected from next gen consoles” and yet Smart Delivery would somehow prevent that from happening for Xbox, even though it is literally the same idea, taking a game and scaling it up for better hardware. Per usual, you aren’t making any sense. 

Halo Infinite could look amazing on XSX, as good as any PS5 launch title or better, and still have an Xbone version. You do realize they aren’t mutually exclusive, don’t you? Again, this very UE5 demo you’re so impressed by is proof of that.