By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Series X's cross-gen approach is robbing players of the next-gen thrill

Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

Start at the 20min mark if you like. DF would disagree with you. 

Hey if you want to believe you will see a PS2 to PS3 level leap, you are free to either lie to yourself or be disappointed.  No skin off my nose.  I am not that impressed by the tech demo, and nothing you say will change that.

Especially when your best argument is a cherry picked quote right after they say they don't know if most developers will be able to take advantage of everything we are seeing in the demo.  Not to mention the fact that this engine is compatible with last gen consoles, making your entire argument about a next gen console leap being more than what it will be completely moot out of the gate.

OK if the quote is not enouff did you watch the entire video then? Its basicly all praise. And Im not guaranting anythin as I have no way of knowing. Im just repeating what other "experts" say  that know more than me and it makes me hopefull. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Have you ever seen a console launch lineup?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

Hey if you want to believe you will see a PS2 to PS3 level leap, you are free to either lie to yourself or be disappointed.  No skin off my nose.  I am not that impressed by the tech demo, and nothing you say will change that.

Especially when your best argument is a cherry picked quote right after they say they don't know if most developers will be able to take advantage of everything we are seeing in the demo.  Not to mention the fact that this engine is compatible with last gen consoles, making your entire argument about a next gen console leap being more than what it will be completely moot out of the gate.

OK if the quote is not enouff did you watch the entire video then? Its basicly all praise. And Im not guaranting anythin as I have no way of knowing. Im just repeating what other "experts" say  that know more than me and it makes me hopefull. 

And there is nothing wrong with that.  I just know these tech demos are often to show what the engine is capable of when pushed under ideal conditions.

I am not saying next gen won't be impressive, just keeping expectations in check.  Until I see things in action with enemies, open worlds, and various NPCs with AI walking around all at once on my own console, there is no reason for me to believe this tech demo is representative of the games I will be playing.

Last edited by Shiken - on 17 May 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Well they haven't really show what they can, just one AAA crossgen game, the rest were indies. But yes they aren't making people hyped with that. But let's see what they show around July.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shiken said:
eva01beserk said:

Dint Geoff Keelly said thats a absurd prediction? And shortly after the UE5 tech demo blew everyone away so why still make this kind of remark? 

Because tech demos do not represent what we see in our actual console games and Keelly is just spouting PR.  We see the same line spun every generation along with the whole "X console will out perform PC" nonsense.

Don't believe me?  Look up a video of the tech demos for UE4 or even UE3.  The games never hild up to the tech demos, as tech demos often portray performance not attainable in practice on retail consoles.

There were loads of posts about lowering expectations after MS did their showcase, but the Unreal demo had the exact opposite effect. Sure, previous unreal demo's weren't always realistic but they were also way more abstract. This was an actual playable demo running on a ps5. Personally it showed pretty much what I was expecting from next gen consoles. 

My guess is that Sony will have gameplay footage during their reveal that'll look similar or even exceed the Unreal demo. However, if MS goes all out with their "smart delivery" strategy, I'm not sure they'll have that same wow factor.

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
Shiken said:

Because tech demos do not represent what we see in our actual console games and Keelly is just spouting PR.  We see the same line spun every generation along with the whole "X console will out perform PC" nonsense.

Don't believe me?  Look up a video of the tech demos for UE4 or even UE3.  The games never hild up to the tech demos, as tech demos often portray performance not attainable in practice on retail consoles.

There were loads of posts about lowering expectations after MS did their showcase, but the Unreal demo had the exact opposite effect. Sure, previous unreal demo's weren't always realistic but they were also way more abstract. This was an actual playable demo running on a ps5. Personally it showed pretty much what I was expecting from next gen consoles. 

My guess is that Sony will have gameplay footage during their reveal that'll look similar or even exceed the Unreal demo. However, if MS goes all out with their "smart delivery" strategy, I'm not sure they'll have that same wow factor.

So a scalable engine demo designed to work on the beefiest of PCs to next gen consoles all the way down to Fortnite on smartphones showcased “pretty much what you expected from next gen consoles” and yet Smart Delivery would somehow prevent that from happening for Xbox, even though it is literally the same idea, taking a game and scaling it up for better hardware. Per usual, you aren’t making any sense. 

Halo Infinite could look amazing on XSX, as good as any PS5 launch title or better, and still have an Xbone version. You do realize they aren’t mutually exclusive, don’t you? Again, this very UE5 demo you’re so impressed by is proof of that.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Mr Puggsly said:

So you're suggesting we need developers to focus on making great looking games... even if consumers aren't gonna buy it? Quite honestly, that's stupid. If Killzone:SF got people excited about next gen then more people would have bought it. Instead other cross gen shooters did much better. I think we ultimately learned that logic is flawed.

Consumers rather throw their money at a cross gen game (with improved visuals and performance) than a mediocre visual showcase.

I think its also worth considering the mid gen upgrades took some of the wind out next gen. Because they already delivered on some performance and resolution upgrades we expect for next gen. So when developers advertise something like 4K many just say, "meh."

Look Jack, here's the deal. Ideally we should want good games that push next gen specs, but I'm not gonna request mediocre games with pretty graphics.

Yeah during this whole Xbone cross gen ordeal, people have been forgetting conveniently that launches are typically cross gen games and pretty games that don't offer much of anything new but sure look good. Even goop in one of his many threads about it, started out saying Microsoft would be robbing customers of unique gameplay experiences only made possible by new gen but quickly shifted to pretty graphics once multiple people reminded him that the PS4 launch games he was listing offered nothing new plus PS4 was chock full of tons of cross gen content during its first couple years. Look at this UE5 demo, looked gameplay wise like it could have been any different number of generic action titles from the last gen or two, just with graphics turned up to 12. It's difficult to know which narrative to follow, but something tells me when July hits and the first party XSX games look fantastic, we'll be shifting back to the whole "well they are just upscaled Xbone games!!".

Games like Killzone 6 or Ryse were perfect launch games. The Order would have been a good launch game. Infamous was good for launch. But we're not still seeing those types of games for a reason. Idk why this writer is expecting mid/late gen magic from a third party showcase. And no one has even touched on the COVID effect yet. She wanted CDPR and Activision and other big guns, maybe they could have been there if everyone wasn't working from home.

You made a good point regarding mid gen upgrades, too. This is the first gen where we are launching after the previous gen had upgrades. It's bound to change things.

People keep moving the goalposts. Some argue we need games that take advantage of the new specs, whatever that actually means. Then it devolves into debates about how important next gen graphics are. The market clearly doesn't just care about graphics and tech demos, this is why many are leaning into cross gen.

That UE5 demo literally just looked like games of the last two gens. Granted it looked much better, but it was fundamentally the same shit.

I think the market has actually become savvy about graphical showcases with shallow gameplay. The reality is Killzone:SF and Ryse did okay, but they didn't get successors this gen. Meanwhile The Order was probably a flop. I feel like a better solution for 2020/2021 is just making cross gen content scalable to better utilize next gen specs. Whether that be with better assets, effects, or optimization for the new SSD tech. Also, looking at sales in 2013/2014 its evident the market has decided it wants cross gen content over mediocre next gen exclusives.

I feel like there is boasting about 8K and 120 fps capabilities because they needed something to hype even if they can't deliver it often. Consumers might also be concluding this resolution stuff is pointless. Its diminishing returns, good post processing has also made it difficult to distinguish 1080p from 4K.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

LudicrousSpeed said:
Otter said:
Haven't read it past the first line because its talking about the third party event, where third parties put their games has little to do with Microsoft and will be cross gen on PS5 too.

In regards to 1st party we'll have to wait til July to see whether Microsoft is making impressive use of the hardware or just rendering Xbox One games at 4k/&60fps.

Exactly this. It was advertised as a third party event. The author was expecting big partners like Activision and CDPR, she clearly wasn’t paying attention. 

Mr Puggsly said:
"Where was the pizzazz? The mind-blowing graphics? The huge step in gaming experiences that we've been waiting for?"

I think these morons forget we didn't really have that in 2013 either. Most was cross gen, while the next gen exclusives weren't amazing. Some of the most impressive games this gen came years later or will be here at the end.

Anyhow, another great find by goopy.

Yes another great, optimistic find by the goop. Also you clearly forgot about Knack, Resogun, and Lococycle. Pushing those consoles to the max.

I don't think it matters much if it was a 3rd or 1st party event. I mean if Sony does their official ps5 reveal and only show games like TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima with an "enhanced for ps5 logo", would that really create the same buzz as some new games that take a dramatic leap from anything we're seeing on ps4? 

goopy20 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Exactly this. It was advertised as a third party event. The author was expecting big partners like Activision and CDPR, she clearly wasn’t paying attention. 

Yes another great, optimistic find by the goop. Also you clearly forgot about Knack, Resogun, and Lococycle. Pushing those consoles to the max.

I don't think it matters much if it was a 3rd or 1st party event. I mean if Sony does their official ps5 reveal and only show games like TLOU2, Ghosts of Tsushima with an "enhanced for ps5 logo", would that really create the same buzz as some new games that take a dramatic leap from anything we're seeing on ps4? 

It would create a lot of buzz if TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima actually looked significantly better on PS5.

The interesting thing about UE5 is that engine can make great visuals like we saw in the demo. But that same demo could work on PS4 with scaled back visuals.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

eva01beserk said:
Shiken said:

Start at the 20min mark if you like. DF would disagree with you. 

Or start it by 21min mark: the demos that came closer to launch were exceeded by the end of the generations.

So don't expect it in the next 2 years.