By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Unreal Engine 5 Announced + PS5 Demo

Soundwave said:
Don't really see the big deal. Same demo will run on the XSX and run better than that and Nvidia's 30 series cards available this fall will run that far better than both. Epic confirmed any NVMe speed SSD can run that just fine, so enough with the "only with the magic of the PS5 SSD" bull sh*t. Just marketing fluff.

I hope these are 2 separate points.

This is our first proper look at what next gen hardware will offer us, doesn't matter your platform. Although this does squash any concerns of the PS5 being under powered.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Looks nice and all but I wonder when will get the first AAA games using UE5?

likely 2022, possibly a few games next year that were optimised around UE4 but take advantage of some UE features.

UE4 launched in 2014 and we got the first proper waves of games in 2015. UE5 launches next year.

JRPGfan said:
Its sooooo beautifull.. and detailed!
This demo shown on a playstation 5, is so much more impressive than the "xbox series x gameplay event" where they didnt show any gameplay, just trailers with CGI.

What portion of the demo had you most impressed?

Great presentation, rendering technique as well as brute force hand-in-hand. My hopes for more interactive environments still lives, and that lighting is really impressive.

Trunkin said:
See, something like this is what the Xbox reveal was missing. What really blows my mind is that this is running on a PS5. Not some beefed up quad SLI 24-core monster PC, but an honest to God next-gen console.

I guess this means that Hellblade II VGA teaser was actually running in real-time? I couldn't believe it until just now.

Doubtful otherwise they would have said it, all they said is that its in-engine assets

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Don't really see the big deal. Same demo will run on the XSX and run better than that and Nvidia's 30 series cards available this fall will run that far better than both. Epic confirmed any NVMe speed SSD can run that just fine, so enough with the "only with the magic of the PS5 SSD" bull sh*t. Just marketing fluff.

The point is seeing the future, getting a ball park idea of what our AAA games are going to look like 3 years from now. It's not about Sony or the PS5 in particular. It's about next-gen.

4 ≈ One

So is lumin based on RT or are they using some other kind of trickery?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Otter said:
Trunkin said:
See, something like this is what the Xbox reveal was missing. What really blows my mind is that this is running on a PS5. Not some beefed up quad SLI 24-core monster PC, but an honest to God next-gen console.

I guess this means that Hellblade II VGA teaser was actually running in real-time? I couldn't believe it until just now.

Doubtful otherwise they would have said it, all they said is that its in-engine assets

Ah, well. It's still a whole lot more feasible than I initially thought.

vivster said:

According to eurogamer, that demo we saw wasn't even using ray tracing. Now I'm left wondering what we even need RT for if games can look that good without it.

Dgc1808 said:
Soundwave said:

The point is seeing the future, getting a ball park idea of what our AAA games are going to look like 3 years from now. It's not about Sony or the PS5 in particular. It's about next-gen.

Even in that respect, I thought it looked like a AAA modern gen game on steroids. Like super duper Tomb Raider. 

To be only at 1440p and 30 fps with no real ray tracing also is a bit of a bummer. 

Trunkin said:

vivster said:

According to eurogamer, that demo we saw wasn't even using ray tracing. Now I'm left wondering what we even need RT for if games can look that good without it.

RT will always beat trickery. We shouldn't forget this is a tech demo and everything has been designed to look as eye catching as possible and also as optimized as possible. Games are not gonna look or work like that. I don't think I've even seen a game that would come close to an Unreal 4 tech demo.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.