Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen PS5/XB1SX sales ratio will look the same as this gen's. Huge changes in console marketshare require huge changes in the industry.

Farsala said:
newwil7l said:

The PS3 didn't beat the 360. It was a virtual dead heat and I'm fairly certain MS made more with it than Sony made with the PS3. 

The OP is talking about HW. I am talking about HW. The PS3 outsold the 360.

And I'm saying its pretty disingenuous to give the win to PS3 when talking about PS3 vs 360, when they sold within 2m of each other. 

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
vivster said:
The only way for Xbox to regain market share is to have a killer 1st party lineup. Blaming the X1's bad performance on Kinect or bad PR is wishful thinking.

I'd argue that to be true now.

Not so in 2013. Kinect increased the cost by $100 and also allocated R&D costs away from the console itself, resulting in less powerful hardware at a higher cost.

Resolutiongate lasted years.

The DRM PR was a disaster also at this time. That "game sharing" video Sony showed was a joke, an effective one. Was the snowball started, it just gathered momentum.

MS have a chance to correct those mistakes. If anyone is expecting the XSex to outsell PS5 though, slim to no chance whatsoever.

As I said, wishful thinking. It gives people a warm and fuzzy feeling to believe that Xbox could have had a chance if it wasn't for a few bad mishaps, but sadly that's not true. It never had a chance. Things like small price differences or bad PR are tiny contributors compared to the massive edge that Playstation has in brand power and consumer trust.

Unless Xbox can come up with some killer apps, must have exclusives and PS5 completely shitting its bed we'll see the same market share or lower.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think the XBSX will gain market share on the simple premise that it is the most powerful console. Among the reasons why people migrated from the X-Box brand to the PS4 was due to the latter being more powerful than the XBO and having the better performing versions of games.

That being said. We still don't know exactly what the PS5 will bring to the next gen table, other than some raw specs. So I'll reserve final judgement for once I know more about both systems.

newwil7l said:
Farsala said:

And I'm saying its pretty disingenuous to give the win to PS3 when talking about PS3 vs 360, when they sold within 2m of each other. 

Then why aren't you arguing with the OP? The PS3 sold 2m more than the 360, that is the only fact I stated.

Hynad said:

I think the XBSX will gain market share on the simple premise that it is the most powerful console. Among the reasons why people migrated from the X-Box brand to the PS4 was due to the latter being more powerful than the XBO and having the better performing versions of games.

That being said. We still don't know exactly what the PS5 will bring to the next gen table, other than some raw specs. So I'll reserve final judgement for once I know more about both systems.

Perhaps that premise is wrong.

Around the Network

I agree. I believe MS's end game is to become the world's major cloud gaming platform provider, though. Just look at Amazon, they're barely making money of amazon.com and services like amazon prime. However, they're making a fortune from providing companies like Netflix with their AWS. MS truly believes Cloud Gaming is the future and that consoles/ gaming pc's will be obsolete by the end of next gen, so it makes sense they're not trying to get into a platform war with Sony and Nintendo. Personally, I think that's a shame but oh well.

newwil7l said:
Farsala said:

It is well within a margin of error.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Based mostly on what we know now, with some reasonable rumor's, if XBSX price matches PS5 (which I would assume means no Lockhart), or if XBSX is more expensive but Lockhart is the cheapest by a wide enough margin, then I see MS gaining back some market share. Like taking 15 million from PS4 right now and adding it to XB1 total sales.

So at this point in time next gen, instead of:
PS4=110M / XB1=48M
We end up with something maybe closer to:
PS5=95M / XBS?=63M

This could vary by something like say 5M either way, assuming there's no major hardware or software screw up's, or another brand entry into the space. Odds are something is bound to happen that will make this guess a lost cause though. We'll see.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Hynad said:

Do you think it is wrong to say the XBSX will be more powerful than the PS5?

Hynad said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Do you think it is wrong to say the XBSX will be more powerful than the PS5?

Obviously the XBOX is better on the paper specs, but i think the actual game performance is almost the same or the PS5 is a little higher.