By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen PS5/XB1SX sales ratio will look the same as this gen's. Huge changes in console marketshare require huge changes in the industry.

No I don't see it. I genuinely believe MS is going to take back some market share. Whether they beat Sony outright remains to be seen and likely won't be known for a good while (for now ill say they win America again but lose everywhere else). People need to remember that the screw ups of MS and Nintendo in early days of gen 8 essentially handed PS4 the generation on a silver platter, and I don't think they will just roll over this gen like they did last, hence the market share will change

Around the Network

MS probably wont outsell Sony but I can see them getting a larger percentage of the market next gen than they did this gen.

Anyone expecting MS to outsell Sony on gen 9 will be upset. Nothing so far indicates a change on the marketshare even after all the threads complaining about Sony already losing the gen, burning their image, etc because they haven't show PS5 itself, being weaker and their marketing being lost kkkkk

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

No way this gens market share will be the same. PS5 will still win but by a lesser margin. How much we have to see.

Xbox won’t start with a crippling brand image, no mandatory peripheral, the rumoured $300 Xbox will undercut PS unlike Xbox One being $100 more, Series X has better specs on paper then PS5 unlike XB1, and their first party studios are really beefed up. And with all this you think Xbox will only sell 50 million lifetime? Lol cmon.

But despite all this, you mentioned huge changes in the industry. Xbox is moving away from just consoles and is becoming a ecosystem. If MS plays their cards right they don’t have to sell more consoles to have a more popular brand. Everybody on PC playing a Xbox first party studio game is part of Xbox. I mean their PCs run on MS operating systems just like Xbox might as well come full circle and give them Xbox games too. Game Pass, Xcloud especially if that takes off. I know Xbox won’t win conventionally, and that’s the point. MS changing the rules if they do it well. 

Last edited by sales2099 - on 12 May 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Captain_Yuri said:
While I do think Sony is going to win and have no interest in getting the next xbox myself. I do think MS is making some pretty notable changes going into their next gen.

They will have the value win with the Xbox Series S (assuming it exists)
The performance win with the Xbox Series X
They will have marketing that comes with being the performance king
Their work into Gamepass has put it in a pretty great position as a killer service
They have purchased some pretty great studios so we will see how their games go

So I wouldn't count them out just yet. Don't forget the major issues that the 360 had with RROD and it's Kinect fetish by the end while the Ps3's end was very fap worthy. Also the 360 had paid online and Ps3 had free online.

One thing we should remember is this the first console gen where we can safely say that it's for all intents and purposes a continuation of the previous gen with better hardware, how this plays out in the market place time will tell, but from my perspective if it does have an effect it wouldn't be overtly and would  marginally strengthen the status quo.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 13 May 2020

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
I will take a wait and see approach. We will know how things look after a few months of the next-gen consoles being on the market.

But considering that pricing hasn't been revealed... And Sony hasn't showcased it's new console, policies and so forth, they could make a big blunder. Or they could do the complete opposite.

Can go either way until we know all the details... Until then it's all just speculation.

I very much so am a 'wait and see' kinda gal, but I think History has proven that Sony is going to knock it outta the park. They are responsible for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th best selling home consoles of all time (With only the Wii in there at #4), and even at their worst they outsell Microsoft at their best. Long term, sony almost certainly has it...but the last 7 years Sony has been knocking it out of the park while Microsoft has been failing, flailing, floundering, and falling flat on their face since day zero. 

Right now, the Playstation Brand is remarkably strong, while the Xbox is potentially at its lowest point. While Microsoft has done well convincing people to buy their consoles with flashy promises of exclusives and features, I think after 3 generations (2 and a half of them being flops or massive disappointments, with only the first half of the Xbox 360's generation proving successful), people might very well have moved on and learned their lesson. 

I think first month sales will be pretty similar for both consoles, but after the initial rush of folks, I'm confident Sony will end up beating Microsoft at least 2:1 again. Maybe even 3:1 long term. Nothing about Microsoft's output in the last 10+ years makes me think they have what it takes to even be in the same market as Sony. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

mjk45 said:
Captain_Yuri said:
While I do think Sony is going to win and have no interest in getting the next xbox myself. I do think MS is making some pretty notable changes going into their next gen.

They will have the value win with the Xbox Series S (assuming it exists)
The performance win with the Xbox Series X
They will have marketing that comes with being the performance king
Their work into Gamepass has put it in a pretty great position as a killer service
They have purchased some pretty great studios so we will see how their games go

So I wouldn't count them out just yet. Don't forget the major issues that the 360 had with RROD and it's Kinect fetish by the end while the Ps3's end was very fap worthy. Also the 360 had paid online and Ps3 had free online.

One thing we should remember is this the first console gen where we can safely say that it's for all intents and purposes a continuation of the previous gen with better hardware, how this plays out in the market place time will tell, but from my perspective if it does have an effect it would be overtly and marginally strengthen the status quo.

Yea I suppose that is very true, specially with backwards compatibility.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

sales2099 said:

No way this gens market share will be the same. PS5 will still win but by a lesser margin. How much we have to see.

Xbox won’t start with a crippling brand image, no mandatory peripheral, the rumoured $300 Xbox will undercut PS unlike Xbox One being $100 more, Series X has better specs on paper then PS5 unlike XB1, and their first party studios are really beefed up. And with all this you think Xbox will only sell 50 million lifetime? Lol cmon.

But despite all this, you mentioned huge changes in the industry. Xbox is moving away from just consoles and is becoming a ecosystem. If MS plays their cards right they don’t have to sell more consoles to have a more popular brand. Everybody on PC playing a Xbox first party studio game is part of Xbox. I mean their PCs run on MS operating systems just like Xbox might as well come full circle and give them Xbox games too. Game Pass, Xcloud especially if that takes off. I know Xbox won’t win conventionally, and that’s the point. MS changing the rules if they do it well. 

Do you even live in the same world as the rest of us? I mean...no crippling brand image? Are you okay? Microsoft has been the laughing stock of the industry since the Xbox One's launch in 2013. No games, no exclusives, and all this talk of 'more power' in the OneX model did nothing, Sony still beats them senseless and they continue to give less and less of a reason to get an Xbox by putting all their exclusives and features on PC/Switch. They have nothing but the power, and history proves that Raw Power has virtually no impact on game or console sales. The most powerful console never wins their generation. PS4 was bested by Xbox OneX, Wii won that generation over two far superior consoles, PS2 was the weakest of the three of that generation. I don't actually know which was stronger between PS1 and N64, but the point is that, historically, the most powerful console doesn't get a significant boost. 

Nothing in the last seven years indicates any change in momentum for Microsoft. They're putting out exclusives at a slower rate than ever before, and all we're getting is a dozen rapid-fire promises and attempts to strong-arm the competition by buying smaller companies. All the promises in the world mean nothing if they've consistently failed and fell short over the last decade or so. (Seriously, I think 2009 was the last time Xbox was on top of anything)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I think it will be a closer ratio for Xbox and PlayStation. Though I also think they will both sell less than their predecessors. I do think the Xbox Series X will be the final generation of Xbox hardware. Partway into the life of the Xbox One, Microsoft switched over to making Xbox first-party titles available on Windows, and has introduced some subscription services. They know they can't sell hardware for the long haul. Video game consoles will likely be all but dead in the next 20 years or even sooner. PCs, tablets, and smartphones will replace them. And I don't see Microsoft making it to the end. It will be down to Sony and Nintendo.
All this to say, I do think some big changes are coming to gaming.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

jason1637 said:
MS probably wont outsell Sony but I can see them getting a larger percentage of the market next gen than they did this gen.

I think it will be opposite.

Just saying