By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen PS5/XB1SX sales ratio will look the same as this gen's. Huge changes in console marketshare require huge changes in the industry.

Source for every word here? Balls.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
chakkra said:

Okay, let me see if I understand this; so MS gave those subscriptions for free..  And now their plan to convince those people to keep paying is to keep putting out non-quality games...

Do you really not see a flow in that logic?

good luck getting a real answer, I've asked numerous times because it's a very common argument people here make against GamePass. Hell earlier in the thread the same person you're replying to said:

"But also indicates that they are uneilling to offer quality games. If they do it will be like one a year and a bunch of Indy games or it just would not be worth it."

So they're gonna sell a service that gives one quality game a year and a bunch of indies? Isn't this already called Games with Gold or PS+? lol

That guy sounds crazzy. Show the conversation to see just how crazzy. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

This is Microsoft's last console generation. They have been doing awful for over 10 years now. Ever since the 2nd half of the 360's life, they have just been failing and mis-stepping.
Outside of America, the PlayStation brand name is far too strong now and they are far too weak. The only way Xbox can gain any traction is Sony making some sort of huge mistake, and frankly, given Sony's experience in the gaming industry now that's not going to happen.

Even at this early stage, Xbox Series X is already falling behind PlayStation 5 in terms of PR ("Gameplay" reveals VS Unreal 5 videos). Also Microsoft have too thinly spread it's Next Gen news to build up meaningful hype. We've seen the console, we know the specs, we've seen game play videos (remember the game awards?) and had Inside Xbox events.

Sony have showed a logo and the pad.

The amount of information about the PS5 that has been kept secret so far is huge. We've practically seen nothing about the PS5 and it's due out in 6 months. Sony have enough hype ammo to rapid fire and overwhelming amount of news and make ALL the online discussion about the PS5. Microsoft have told us tons of information about the XSX but spread it out over so long, any hype just dies down.

----REMEMBER THIS PART----
Plus remember at the start of this gen it was videos of 1080p PS4 games VS 900p XB1 games? The next battlefield will be load times. Gaming sites will be comparing load times as Sony have already skillfully made the narrative about that.
The graphics of the two machines will be so close, no one will be able to tell the difference, but what they will see if load times. Expect to see many side by side videos of the same game loading on either machine. And then guess who's going to win those comparisons? We already know that'll be the PS5.

This generation is over before it has begun. Only Nintendo has the capacity to beat Sony.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

smroadkill15 said:
DonFerrari said:

If the price is small you would be surprised on how many people keep paying. They enjoy it for a couple months them forget to cancel and keep paying. Not saying it the case of GP that seems a good service, but it happens.

Once those special deals are up, you can't use them anymore. That's what happened with me, but I'm happily paying for the service because the value alone is easily worth it. 

Many people sign for the special price and just forget it, again not saying it is happening with GP but isn't uncommon on other services.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

LudicrousSpeed said:
chakkra said:

Okay, let me see if I understand this; so MS gave those subscriptions for free..  And now their plan to convince those people to keep paying is to keep putting out non-quality games...

good luck getting a real answer, I've asked numerous times because it's a very common argument people here make against GamePass. Hell earlier in the thread the same person you're replying to said:

"But also indicates that they are uneilling to offer quality games. If they do it will be like one a year and a bunch of Indy games or it just would not be worth it."

So they're gonna sell a service that gives one quality game a year and a bunch of indies? Isn't this already called Games with Gold or PS+? lol

You were totally right. I guess I should have known better.

Around the Network
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Is that The Russian youtuber the first person to report that Horizon is coming to the PC?

Or are you just talking about Jason Schleier?

I've put timings and source to my post so you can check it. That Russian youtuber was the first to report Horizon is coming to PC, 1.5 months before Jason Schreier confirmed it. Also, he is not youtuber as you call him, he is a game journalist, just like Jason Schreier is.

only777 said:

Plus remember at the start of this gen it was videos of 1080p PS4 games VS 900p XB1 games? The next battlefield will be load times. Gaming sites will be comparing load times as Sony have already skillfully made the narrative about that.

I doubt that.

If loading times to the game menu or loading the level takes 5 seconds on PS5 and 10 seconds on XSX, both are in the "good enough" territory and the few seconds less are diminishing returns.

Theoretically the 175 GiB SSD capacity difference of the XSX (1000 GiB) and PS5 (825 GiB) could be used to hold the memory of the last ten played games (10 x 16 GB RAM dumped to the SSD within ~5 seconds. If the announced SSD speeds are true, any of these 10 games could be restored within ~5 seconds... and not only to the game menu, but exactly to the points where you saved these games.

Theoretically PS5 could save games within ~3 seconds and restore these memory dumps within ~3 seconds... wow, you would be saving 2 - 3 seconds per game (but either you have less space for these huge "save files" or you have less space to install games due to the smaller SSD.)

Last edited by Conina - on 17 May 2020

Conina said:
only777 said:

I doubt that.

If loading times to the game menu or loading the level takes 5 seconds on PS5 and 10 seconds on XSX, both are in the "good enough" territory and the few seconds less are diminishing returns.

Theoretically the 175 GiB SSD capacity difference of the XSX (1000 GiB) and PS5 (825 GiB) could be used to hold the memory of the last ten played games (10 x 16 GB RAM dumped to the SSD within ~5 seconds. If the announced SSD speeds are true, any of these 10 games could be restored within ~5 seconds... and not only to the game menu, but exactly to the points where you saved these games.

Theoretically PS5 could save games within ~3 seconds and restore these memory dumps within ~3 seconds... wow, you would be saving 2 - 3 seconds per game (but either you have less space for these huge "save files" or you have less space to install games due to the smaller SSD.)

To be honest, I am more interested to see what kind of NAND the consoles use, whether the controllers have a DRAM cache and what the latency is over the actual bandwidth.

Either way, when the consoles release we can finally do comparisons... I would envisage allot of deflecting when other platforms turn out higher resolutions, framerates with better effects I would imagine.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Conina said:
only777 said:

I doubt that.

Where did you get these XSX / PS5 numbers from and what software is this based on?

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

eva01beserk said:
chakkra said:

You can pretend I said what ever you want but I like they way your going. It dosent make sense does it?

Now with what I said, of thouse 10m "users", How many are currently subed, or reocurring subs or temp subs that only do it while theres a  special offer or the month a big release come out? Nobody knows right. As far as we know that could be 10m individuals who used gamepass at some point. The current subs could be lower. How is split between paid, free or discount is unknown and MS is never gona tell us.

And yea, gamepass is a good offer. If you have an xbox you should definnetly jump on that. Even lower quality games that they offer is still  bargain. And the few AAA they add is also really good and if they do increase the amount of games added would be even better. Just saying that with that model off buisness they need a really high number of subs to offset the cost. and that cost gets bigger the more AAA games they add. So they can make the service great now at a loss to gain subs or wait untill theres more subs to make it better. dont know. Dont know the cost or profit. they are not telling. Just saying where it a succes they would be more clear and stop trying to hide numbers. but the value of gamepass is top notch.

You're subtle downplay of gamepass is impressive. You've really gotten great at giving backhand complements. Real question, do you even have gamepass for xbox? They have a ton of AAA games on that service and new ones are added monthly. I'm not sure why you are so concerned with what gamepass has sold or whatever.

I'm just going to leave this quote from Phil Spencer for you.

"Gamers in general, there is sometimes a tendency that the more walls we put up around things, the more valuable it is. But if we're focused on growing the games industry, we should not be less accessible. We should be more accessible. We had this argument for years over cross-play. Should we allow people to play across different platforms? Or does that somehow diminish the value of an individual platform?

The thing at the highest level, which will probably get me in trouble, is as gamers you should focus on what you want, not focus on, like, my P&L [profit and loss statement], or the P&L of the console you chose to invest in. I see this dialogue about somebody worried that somehow Xbox is gonna make less money, or their console is gonna make less money if they tell me a game is going to be on a different platform before it actually comes out, or it's gonna be in a subscription, which is really what I want, but somehow that's gonna mean less money for them so I don't want them to do that because I'd rather pay more money so...

You should focus on you as a gamer and the things that matter to you. We as the people running the business - I am incented to run a good business inside of Microsoft and in the long term. I've been here for 31 years. I don't know that I'll make 31 more, but I'm not going anywhere tomorrow. We're building an Xbox business for the long run. I'll tell you, Game Pass today is a strong part of that, and it continues to get stronger, and it supports the building of great IP."