By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next gen PS5/XB1SX sales ratio will look the same as this gen's. Huge changes in console marketshare require huge changes in the industry.

smroadkill15 said:
eva01beserk said:

Thats True. But have we seen anything of the sort yet? No, we seen small scale new games and big scale proven IP's. Dosent sound very suportive in my opinion.

Yes, nintendo does do it to. Whats your point? And again what off sony? Most of their studios change things up, even their big ones. And some of thouse have hit it big like horizon zero dawn. And after that state of play Ghost of Thsushima will also join ranks.

Thats what you took from that? That I think working for MS and Mccdonalds similar?........ok...

I'm not going to act like MS has been pumping out new big games left and right, but it's not like they haven't tried to make a big new IP. Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, Ryse, Scalebound(cancelled), Sunset Overdrive, Recore. Unfortunately Sea of Thieves is really the only successful new IP then followed by Sunset overdrive. I would say this year alone XGS will release more games than the previous 2-3 years combined with a mix of well established and new IP's. Ori 2, Bleeding edge, and Gears Tactic have already released with Minecraft Dungeons this month. Followed by a fairly steady stream of games the rest of the year. It's been a rough this whole generation for xbox, but I'm just excited they are going to be taking more risk and releasing more games. July's showcase will show more. 

I know what you meant. They are doing work because they need the money not because they actually enjoy it. I just don't think Mcdonald's was the best comparison to make. 

Im pretty sure that baren end of the x1's life was somewhat intentional. Pretty sure they have something cooking that they held just to beef up the begining of the new gen. Even so, a strong launch wont last, hope they keep the flow going not just launch or first couple of years.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
pitzy272 said:
sales2099 said:

It’s a new engine that streamlines development, 5 years in the making (instead of 3), all ready proven to learn about classic art styles, split screen, and Halo Reach armor unlock systems. Call us Halo fans cautiously optimistic. 

Real talk here, the only game that could touch Halo Infinite is LOU2, but that’s releasing soon and this won’t help much come November (by that I mean the hype will have worn off).  Horizon Zero Dawn, Spiderman 2, GOW 2 are all possible, but do you think they can be ready by this November? Maybe Horizon 2, MAYBE given it released in 2017 compared to the rest in 2018. But even then it’s a single player game up against a single player/multiplayer double threat.

Historically PS doesn’t launch with their best. Who still talks about Resistance and Killzone Shadowfall these days when reminiscing about old PS classics? 

This pretty much exactly. This is what I said in my earlier post and have said a couple times in different threads. And I’m a PS guy who has very little interest in XB exclusives and thus a next-gen XB.

Horizon ZD 2 is heavily rumored to be the ps5’s launch game, but idt even that could beat a proper, re-invented/game-changing Halo—which I predict Halo 6 will be. As Sales said, Halo has never been given more than 3y of development, yet Halo 6 has been given 5 years. Also, I heard seriously not a single negative thing about Halo 5’s multiplayer. It was universally praised. The only issue was with the campaign. 343 certainly has a lot to prove on this front, but I suspect they can step it up, esp with the money of MS. XB means business now. They are a completely different division than they were 5 or so years ago. And Halo is their Mario, so if they’ve gotten so serious about building their first party portfolio otherwise, then you better believe they’re serious about doing everything they can to staff 343 sufficiently to make sure Halo 6’s campaign knocks it out of the park and avoids past mistakes.

My only caveat to Sales’ post is that Guerilla has staffed up massively, and part of that includes a multiplayer team. This is factual, tho what that team is for is technically still rumor I believe. HZD 2 is strongly rumored to have a multiplayer component, a co-op component (recent rumor), or both.

In terms of HZD 2 vs. Halo, what I didn’t mention is that Guerilla Games is a very, very different (i.e. far superior) company now compared to pre-HZD, so it would be foolish to doubt them. If they make even close to the quality jump with HZD 2 as they did from all games pre-HZD, then they could absolutely give Halo a run for its money or outdo it—especially if there are high quality multiplayer/coop modes.

I agree with what you said. The only question is that increasing team and pooring more money don't warranty anything even if MS wishes to do their best. I would say that they also tried their best on the other Halo entries, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But sure I would say there is increased odds of Halo 6 being better than 5 and being a major success.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

eva01beserk said:
smroadkill15 said:

I'm not going to act like MS has been pumping out new big games left and right, but it's not like they haven't tried to make a big new IP. Sea of Thieves, Quantum Break, Ryse, Scalebound(cancelled), Sunset Overdrive, Recore. Unfortunately Sea of Thieves is really the only successful new IP then followed by Sunset overdrive. I would say this year alone XGS will release more games than the previous 2-3 years combined with a mix of well established and new IP's. Ori 2, Bleeding edge, and Gears Tactic have already released with Minecraft Dungeons this month. Followed by a fairly steady stream of games the rest of the year. It's been a rough this whole generation for xbox, but I'm just excited they are going to be taking more risk and releasing more games. July's showcase will show more. 

I know what you meant. They are doing work because they need the money not because they actually enjoy it. I just don't think Mcdonald's was the best comparison to make. 

Im pretty sure that baren end of the x1's life was somewhat intentional. Pretty sure they have something cooking that they held just to beef up the begining of the new gen. Even so, a strong launch wont last, hope they keep the flow going not just launch or first couple of years.

Well they have done it with the other consoles launch, it is good to have a strong launch, but if you keep leaving the system long before the successor then it will end up damaging the brand.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Many fans want Xbox series X sell a lot and minimize the sales  ratio, but in reality Microsoft and Xbox Division does not care.

Microsoft are not selling hardware , they are selling service (gamepass & Xcloud) 

So temper your expectation on Xbox hardware sales, we might see an even smaller number on Xbox console this time. 

What we might see and hear a lot will be a subscription number from Microsoft , they will brag and brag the number a lot in the near future. trust me 

Shadow1980 said:
C'mon, people. Be nice.

Personally, and this is just a hunch, I think this generation will be somewhat closer than this generation, but not significantly. Perhaps 110M for the PS5 and 60M for the XSX, with most of the change coming from North America. There's still a lot of unknown factors, including pricing, the first year of exclusive games, and available supply, but assuming they're pretty even in those aspects, I think MS could do better than this generation. The XBO was hobbled by bad momentum out of the gate, and I don't think this will be an issue for them this time around. Both MS and Sony are playing it safe. The U.S./NA market is notoriously fickle and very Xbox-friendly, and with both systems being on an even start at the beginning of the generation, it would not surprise me if they were in a dead heat.

Europe could be closer as well, but the PS5 will still likely win the region overall by a very comfortable margin (the UK will probably still be a rough mirror of the U.S., while the continent will remain PlayStation Country). As for Japan, I'm not expecting anything different: 9-10M for the PS5, and well below 1M for the XSX.

Of course, it is entirely possible that there are no appreciable changes in market share. Sheer momentum could be the driving factor, with an insignificant portion of people wanting to switch brands when transitioning to next-gen. It is after all a reasonable assumption that gamers will not switch brands absent any incentive to do so. Then again, it's possible that that might not even be a rule, really. There could very well be fence-sitters with no real brand loyalty that could be swayed to switch brands by something simple. There are multi-platform gamers to consider. There could even be lapsed Xbox fans turned off by the XBO this gen but willing to jump back if they are sufficiently impressed by the XSX (this almost ended up being the case for me; I bought a PS4 day one because of forced Kinect and because my trust in MS was shaken after their PR debacles earlier in 2013; I did buy an XBO later on, though, and the X1X is my current primary). There's also the wild card that is the Lockhart, assuming it ever materializes.

Also—and this arguably doesn't even really count—Sony did technically lose some market share during the generation proper in Gen 6, at least in the U.S., despite not making any big screw ups (note that by "generation proper" I mean the time span where each system competed with each other and none of them had been replaced, so 1997-2000 for the PS1 & N64 and 2002-2005 for the PS2, GC, & Xbox; the PS2 ended with a larger overall market share than the PS1 in the U.S., but only because of its strong legs). Of course, that's probably more to do with the Xbox being the viable alternative to PlayStation and Nintendo that the Saturn failed to be in the previous generation, similar but much smaller in degree to how having actual competition reduced Nintendo's market share in North America in the 16-bit era (and Japan, to a much lesser extent).

Outside of that, though, there is precious little in the way of hard data to go by. This could be the first time where two existing brands released consoles at the same time, on roughly even terms and with such similar capabilities, and with no truly decisive factors that could turn off large numbers of gamers from any one brand. So, there's no way of knowing for sure whether or not the PS/Xbox split will tilt less heavily in PlayStation's direction next generation. I give it a straight up 50/50 chance of the split staying the same. There will be no way of knowing for sure until the sales data starts rolling in. The first half of 2021 will give us a good idea of what to expect.

TL;DR version: There really is no way to be sure how things will turn out regarding the split between the PS5 and XSX.

Your point does have a lot of merit, but I'm really a believer of the law of inertia, so if neither party do a big change then there is little expectation that the market should change as well. Sure MS will be better of than the last gen, but the momentum is still for Sony.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
smroadkill15 said:

I don't think it was as intentional as you think. Only reason I say this is because this year for x1, it has more 1st party games than probably any other year this entire generation. I just can't see them having the same kind of drought in 1st party games next generation. Releasing new games for gamepass is reason alone for them to keep a steady stream of games going. 

HollyGamer said:

Many fans want Xbox series X sell a lot and minimize the sales  ratio, but in reality Microsoft and Xbox Division does not care.

Microsoft are not selling hardware , they are selling service (gamepass & Xcloud) 

So temper your expectation on Xbox hardware sales, we might see an even smaller number on Xbox console this time. 

What we might see and hear a lot will be a subscription number from Microsoft , they will brag and brag the number a lot in the near future. trust me 

How do they sell thier service without selling the console?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

PC. Xbox One. Xbox Series X. Mobile. Profit?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

PC. Xbox One. Xbox Series X. Mobile. Profit?

Why did you say the XBOX twice

The majority of users of their service do not come from the xbox ?
If MS suddenly stops selling XBOX consoles.
Will they be able to make up for the loss of the XBOX on mobile or PC ?

HollyGamer said:

Woah, you're saying MS will rely on selling subscriptions, and will then boast about those subscriptions? Not much of a limb you're walking out on there.

Also, they are selling hardware. The most powerful console ever, in fact. And they're also selling services. They don't care if you don't buy an XSX, yet. Obviously once the launch window is over and its no longer only the hardcore gamers buying new hardware, they'll want you to buy new Xbox hardware.