By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - State Of Play This Thursday - Extended Look at Ghost Of Tsushima

shikamaru317 said:

So I just watched the full demo. My thoughts

-Visually speaking, the game is quite pretty, but that seems more down to artistic choices rather than technical expertise. On a technical level the only thing that seems all that impressive is the heavy usage of wind physics. Texture work seems kind of outdated, if you look at things like the ground texture on the paths through the fields, the rock textures, the wood textures on the ship he enters at one point in the demo, etc. I see a fair amount of aliasing artifacts on distant trees, which seems to suggest that there is a distance limit on whatever anti-aliasing solution they are using. So while the game is quite pretty artistically, I can't help but be a bit disappointed on a technical level. I really hope this game gets a PS5 version later on with improved graphics.

-I was quite worried when I heard that the game would have no minimaps or waypoints, but it seems I was worried for nothing. The games natural waypoint system with wind gusts and foxes that guide you to collectibles and such seems like it will be quite adequate.

-The samurai combat I'm kind of iffy on. The one slash and you're dead timing based combat seems more like something out of a samurai movie than reality, which it seems is exactly what they were going for. I don't hate the choice, but I can't help but want to see a slightly more grounded and realistic combat system. Maybe I'll like it more once I'm actually playing it.

-The ninja gameplay I'm liking much better than the samurai gameplay. The stealth mechanics seem quite good.

-The map seems to be a good size, based on the relatively small amount of the map that was crossed on horseback early in the demo. And there seems to be a good amount of content and activities to do, so hopefully the game is fairly lengthy.

Overall I am pretty happy with the game, and I'm definitely going to play it on my PS4, and likely again on my PS5 if they update it for PS5. But it also made me want an Assassin's Creed Japan game more than I already did, because Ubisoft seems to take a more realistic approach to combat and graphics with their most recent AC games than Sucker Punch is taking with Ghost of Tsushima, which seems to be a more artistic, almost fantasy game based on old samurai movies rather than realism. I have been wanting a AAA feudal Japan game for about a decade now, so I am quite glad that we're finally getting one. Maybe I'm just greedy for wanting a second one in the near future, but I can't help it after waiting for so long. Give me both Ghost of Tsushima and AC Japan and I will be a very happy man xD

Except for the AI getting exposed hard in that stealth gameplay. I mean AI in stealth games is usually made stupid to at least a certain degree anyway, but these guys are even dumber than in AC...barely starting to perceive the player even when he assassinates a buddy pretty much right in front of them. 

It's something I've noticed with some PS exclusives in general, that the AI tends to be pretty bad. Uncharted 4 had me pretty much on the floor laughing a few times at how silly characters behaved.

Around the Network
gergroy said:
Still don’t understand why they didn’t make another infamous game. This game doesn’t look nearly as good...

I don't get the hype for the PS4 one. It had an awful open world and had the same issue as so many do. Icon litter. I didn't feel well designed and my few hours playing it, offered little real variety. Felt very rushed.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Angelus said:
shikamaru317 said:

So I just watched the full demo. My thoughts

-Visually speaking, the game is quite pretty, but that seems more down to artistic choices rather than technical expertise. On a technical level the only thing that seems all that impressive is the heavy usage of wind physics. Texture work seems kind of outdated, if you look at things like the ground texture on the paths through the fields, the rock textures, the wood textures on the ship he enters at one point in the demo, etc. I see a fair amount of aliasing artifacts on distant trees, which seems to suggest that there is a distance limit on whatever anti-aliasing solution they are using. So while the game is quite pretty artistically, I can't help but be a bit disappointed on a technical level. I really hope this game gets a PS5 version later on with improved graphics.

-I was quite worried when I heard that the game would have no minimaps or waypoints, but it seems I was worried for nothing. The games natural waypoint system with wind gusts and foxes that guide you to collectibles and such seems like it will be quite adequate.

-The samurai combat I'm kind of iffy on. The one slash and you're dead timing based combat seems more like something out of a samurai movie than reality, which it seems is exactly what they were going for. I don't hate the choice, but I can't help but want to see a slightly more grounded and realistic combat system. Maybe I'll like it more once I'm actually playing it.

-The ninja gameplay I'm liking much better than the samurai gameplay. The stealth mechanics seem quite good.

-The map seems to be a good size, based on the relatively small amount of the map that was crossed on horseback early in the demo. And there seems to be a good amount of content and activities to do, so hopefully the game is fairly lengthy.

Overall I am pretty happy with the game, and I'm definitely going to play it on my PS4, and likely again on my PS5 if they update it for PS5. But it also made me want an Assassin's Creed Japan game more than I already did, because Ubisoft seems to take a more realistic approach to combat and graphics with their most recent AC games than Sucker Punch is taking with Ghost of Tsushima, which seems to be a more artistic, almost fantasy game based on old samurai movies rather than realism. I have been wanting a AAA feudal Japan game for about a decade now, so I am quite glad that we're finally getting one. Maybe I'm just greedy for wanting a second one in the near future, but I can't help it after waiting for so long. Give me both Ghost of Tsushima and AC Japan and I will be a very happy man xD

Except for the AI getting exposed hard in that stealth gameplay. I mean AI in stealth games is usually made stupid to at least a certain degree anyway, but these guys are even dumber than in AC...barely starting to perceive the player even when he assassinates a buddy pretty much right in front of them. 

It's something I've noticed with some PS exclusives in general, that the AI tends to be pretty bad. Uncharted 4 had me pretty much on the floor laughing a few times at how silly characters behaved.

Has there been any mention of difficulty settings? If this is just lower difficulty AI rules that's fine but if it's not then this is my main worry.

4 ≈ One

Leynos said:
gergroy said:
Still don’t understand why they didn’t make another infamous game. This game doesn’t look nearly as good...

I don't get the hype for the PS4 one. It had an awful open world and had the same issue as so many do. Icon litter. I didn't feel well designed and my few hours playing it, offered little real variety. Felt very rushed.

I've always believed that it was a launch title that had to be delayed a bit, and so was a bit rushed.

4 ≈ One

Leynos said:
gergroy said:

I mean, it was basically a launch title, so the feeling rushed is probably accurate.  Most launch titles are rushed unless they are cross generational.  The ps3 games were awesome and while second son wasn’t the best infamous game, I did enjoy it quite a bit.  I would be a lot more interested in a infamous game that wasn’t rushed then this game.  It looks ok... but honestly it is a bargain bin buy for me where an infamous game probably would have been day one.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Angelus said:

Has there been any mention of difficulty settings? If this is just lower difficulty AI rules that's fine but if it's not then this is my main worry.

No idea. I would assume there's at least a few difficulty options, but who knows what this demonstration was set to. Would be weird if there weren't any difficulties to choose from.

Great showcase overall.

Using the wind as waypoints is pretty intuitive. Different playstyles are great. One of the best aspects of Second Son was different powers had their own feel to them, it didn't feel rehashed or reskinned. It looks like GoT is trending in this direction. I'm intrigued with getting enemies to fear you and how that impacts exploration/combat. The biggest problem I had with Second Son was the empty world. Hopefully Sucker Punch can improve this aspect for GoT. I don't mind the one shot kills but hopefully the AI difficulty can be bumped up a little bit. Although lots of potential for the boss fights.

I actually want more State of Plays like this lol. Sony could save their big announcements/reveals for a few shows every year with State of Plays providing extended demos, updates, previews, etc. A lot less filler to sit through.

There is nothing wrong per se with what was shown but I'm just not feeling it. Gameplay just seems like every open-world game in existence. While big and technically pretty, aesthetically it's kinda boring to me. I love the classic Japanese settings but most of what was shown may as well been stock assets or for a tech demo. It looks well made, just more of something that has been done a hundred times this generation. I may still end up getting it down the line for cheap. Been a few times I came around late. I did on Spider-Man.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Saw it and it looks fun but it feels like it has been downgraded. What do u guys think? Correct me if i am wrong, the video was laggy like theres fps drop.

dane007 said:
Saw it and it looks fun but it feels like it has been downgraded. What do u guys think? Correct me if i am wrong, the video was laggy like theres fps drop.

Doubt it, this is most likely the difference showing off premiere setpieces versus a more in depth walkthrough. The later always exposes more flaws and areas where the lighting isn't as pretty or whether the fps may struggle a bit more (i didn't notice any FPS drops)