By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - State Of Play This Thursday - Extended Look at Ghost Of Tsushima

gergroy said:
Still don’t understand why they didn’t make another infamous game. This game doesn’t look nearly as good...

Apples and Oranges. 

Ultimately infamous has had 3 entries including 1.5 on PS4, all sold good-decently. Considering the franchise never reached any major heights critically or sales wise, I think it'd be a pretty easy decision to try out something different. And Ghost is really hitting several niche's so I welcome the diversity. If we got Spiderman & Infamous 4 I think that would be a wasted opportunity from the 1st party side to offer a broader portfolio. 

Around the Network
Otter said:
dane007 said:
Saw it and it looks fun but it feels like it has been downgraded. What do u guys think? Correct me if i am wrong, the video was laggy like theres fps drop.

Doubt it, this is most likely the difference showing off premiere setpieces versus a more in depth walkthrough. The later always exposes more flaws and areas where the lighting isn't as pretty or whether the fps may struggle a bit more (i didn't notice any FPS drops)

The video of the gameplay was laggy which was strange. Thought it was my Internet but the speed test showed i had 1gbps speed. It was mostly when in open areas. The intial reveal the texture on ricks, trees and ground was highly detailed. It was quite in this state of play. I think someone else  mentioned it as well. The game looks like alot of games masged together like assasin creed mixed with tenchu and many others! 

Doesn't really do much for me. Just looks kind of generic and bland. Kind of hope that Sony ease off on cinematic 3rd person action/adventure games during the next gen. Still I hope people enjoy this.

Visuals look nice but I am not hyped for it. A demo would be nice ^^'.

I'm not sold on the combat. The Samurai way reminds me a lot to Ryse: Son of Rome. Which... is not a good thing. At all. The Ninja way looks A LOT more interesting to play as, but even that looks like very simplistic and basic stealth action.

Despite this, I like the atmosphere, the setting and the audiovisual quality is top notch. Using the wind and other world elements such as animals in order to navigate and discover new places is susper original and is the perfect integration of gameplay within the world of the game. That being said, I hope there is more to do in this world besides fighting and discovering new places that have no other purpouse that being discovered.

I don't know... This is the kind of game I wish had a demo available.

Around the Network

I'm not really sold yet. Although the game seems good, polished and I'm sure there's something more to it; it's still kind of generic for me. I don't know much about the story and those combat demonstrations didn't stand out to me at all. I like the Japanese set tho.

John2290 said:
Is it just me or does it look downgraded? Also, Anyone find a 4k video yet?

I felt the same.

shikamaru317 said:

So I just watched the full demo. My thoughts

-Visually speaking, the game is quite pretty, but that seems more down to artistic choices rather than technical expertise. On a technical level the only thing that seems all that impressive is the heavy usage of wind physics. Texture work seems kind of outdated, if you look at things like the ground texture on the paths through the fields, the rock textures, the wood textures on the ship he enters at one point in the demo, etc. I see a fair amount of aliasing artifacts on distant trees, which seems to suggest that there is a distance limit on whatever anti-aliasing solution they are using. So while the game is quite pretty artistically, I can't help but be a bit disappointed on a technical level, it feels inferior technically to games from Sony's other AAA 1st party studios. I really hope this game gets a PS5 version later on with improved graphics.

-I was quite worried when I heard that the game would have no minimaps or waypoints, but it seems I was worried for nothing. The games natural waypoint system with wind gusts and foxes that guide you to collectibles and such seems like it will be quite adequate.

-The samurai combat I'm kind of iffy on. The one slash and you're dead timing based combat seems more like something out of a samurai movie than reality, which it seems is exactly what they were going for. I don't hate the choice, but I can't help but want to see a slightly more grounded and realistic combat system. Maybe I'll like it more once I'm actually playing it.

-The ninja gameplay I'm liking much better than the samurai gameplay. The stealth mechanics seem quite good.

-The map seems to be a good size, based on the relatively small amount of the map that was crossed on horseback early in the demo. And there seems to be a good amount of content and activities to do, so hopefully the game is fairly lengthy.

Overall I am pretty happy with the game, and I'm definitely going to play it on my PS4, and likely again on my PS5 if they update it for PS5. But it also made me want an Assassin's Creed Japan game more than I already did, because Ubisoft seems to take a more realistic approach to combat and graphics with their most recent AC games than Sucker Punch is taking with Ghost of Tsushima, which seems to be a more artistic, almost fantasy game based on old samurai movies rather than realism. Both approaches are fine, and that is why I want to see both. I have been wanting a AAA feudal Japan game for about a decade now, so I am quite glad that we're finally getting one. Maybe I'm just greedy for wanting a second one in the near future, but I can't help it after waiting for so long. Give me both Ghost of Tsushima and AC Japan and I will be a very happy man xD

Yes. This game looks realistic but at the same time very artistic. I liked that.

Leynos said:
There is nothing wrong per se with what was shown but I'm just not feeling it. Gameplay just seems like every open-world game in existence. While big and technically pretty, aesthetically it's kinda boring to me. I love the classic Japanese settings but most of what was shown may as well been stock assets or for a tech demo. It looks well made, just more of something that has been done a hundred times this generation. I may still end up getting it down the line for cheap. Been a few times I came around late. I did on Spider-Man.

Agreed.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

PotentHerbs said:
Great showcase overall.

Using the wind as waypoints is pretty intuitive. Different playstyles are great. One of the best aspects of Second Son was different powers had their own feel to them, it didn't feel rehashed or reskinned. It looks like GoT is trending in this direction. I'm intrigued with getting enemies to fear you and how that impacts exploration/combat. The biggest problem I had with Second Son was the empty world. Hopefully Sucker Punch can improve this aspect for GoT. I don't mind the one shot kills but hopefully the AI difficulty can be bumped up a little bit. Although lots of potential for the boss fights.

I actually want more State of Plays like this lol. Sony could save their big announcements/reveals for a few shows every year with State of Plays providing extended demos, updates, previews, etc. A lot less filler to sit through.

hoping the same.

Game looks great. Gameplay wise, nothing new or excellent I would say. But that dosent have to be a bad thing. The world looks amazing average gameplay and hopefully a great story. This is a day one for me. 

I also loved infamous. But I do like devs to shake things up. If they do come back to infamous in the future they could bring all they learned from their ventures and make it even better. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

shikamaru317 said:

So I just watched the full demo. My thoughts

-Visually speaking, the game is quite pretty, but that seems more down to artistic choices rather than technical expertise. On a technical level the only thing that seems all that impressive is the heavy usage of wind physics. Texture work seems kind of outdated, if you look at things like the ground texture on the paths through the fields, the rock textures, the wood textures on the ship he enters at one point in the demo, etc. I see a fair amount of aliasing artifacts on distant trees, which seems to suggest that there is a distance limit on whatever anti-aliasing solution they are using. So while the game is quite pretty artistically, I can't help but be a bit disappointed on a technical level, it feels inferior technically to games from Sony's other AAA 1st party studios. I really hope this game gets a PS5 version later on with improved graphics.

-I was quite worried when I heard that the game would have no minimaps or waypoints, but it seems I was worried for nothing. The games natural waypoint system with wind gusts and foxes that guide you to collectibles and such seems like it will be quite adequate.

-The samurai combat I'm kind of iffy on. The one slash and you're dead timing based combat seems more like something out of a samurai movie than reality, which it seems is exactly what they were going for. I don't hate the choice, but I can't help but want to see a slightly more grounded and realistic combat system. Maybe I'll like it more once I'm actually playing it.

-The ninja gameplay I'm liking much better than the samurai gameplay. The stealth mechanics seem quite good.

-The map seems to be a good size, based on the relatively small amount of the map that was crossed on horseback early in the demo. And there seems to be a good amount of content and activities to do, so hopefully the game is fairly lengthy.

Overall I am pretty happy with the game, and I'm definitely going to play it on my PS4, and likely again on my PS5 if they update it for PS5. But it also made me want an Assassin's Creed Japan game more than I already did, because Ubisoft seems to take a more realistic approach to combat and graphics with their most recent AC games than Sucker Punch is taking with Ghost of Tsushima, which seems to be a more artistic, almost fantasy game based on old samurai movies rather than realism. Both approaches are fine, and that is why I want to see both. I have been wanting a AAA feudal Japan game for about a decade now, so I am quite glad that we're finally getting one. Maybe I'm just greedy for wanting a second one in the near future, but I can't help it after waiting for so long. Give me both Ghost of Tsushima and AC Japan and I will be a very happy man xD

I have platined AC Oddissey and Origin and there is nothing real about their battle. One strike and dead is more real than fighting 20 enemies at once without a single bruise, or taking several strikes and still being fine.

From what we know AC avoided Japan exactly because they knew the competition with GoT would be fierce.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I liked the atmosphere, the combat seems like I'll take time to get used because I'm bad with timing and don't like the souls system at all. The graphics were very bad because the YT was putting to many artifacts and streaming blurriness, but since I have seem other videos on the graphics I'm not worried about it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

As someone who loved the Tenchu games, the ninja gameplay has me pretty happy! Can't wait to play it!

Signature goes here!