By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country 1 vs 2

I think the best is...

Donkey Kong Country 12 32.43%

Donkey Kong Country 2 25 67.57%

Total:37

Donkey Kong Country 2 for sure. More challenging, Dixie Kong is a great addition, perfect soundtrack.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
Played DKC1. A bunch of years later I bought DKC2 because I heard it was the best of the bunch but only played it a bit. But DKC1 was such a fantastic game.

Slightly off topic, but, I heard DKC Tropical Breeze was super good so I bought it a while back but it doesn't feel like it has the magic of the originals. Like it's an OK game, but I've only managed to play if for an hour or two because I play it for like 20 minutes at a time then I'm like eh whatever. That and NSMBUD both feel underwhelming. Maybe its just because indie 2D platformers have gotten so good that these classic series seem kinda boring now. Anybody think DKC Tropical Breeze really isn't that interesting? Or should I play more into it and it will get better?

I kind of agree with you. TF is a fantastic looking game, it pretty much sets the standards for what a modern platformer should look like, the music is really good too, But the game itself is kind of lacking in some aspects. I think it focuses too much on obstacles and reflexes throughout the levels. I like obstacles that challenge my reflexes and all, but I wish the game had a little more exploration. Plus, you should be able to choose your character right from the start. 

I had the trilogy on my SNES. DKC3 is my favorite game of all time, but between DKC and DKC2, I think the second one is a better game overall.

However, I really enjoy watching people speedrunning DKC1. It's a lot of fun.

I voted for DKC1 because it's the one I've played the most, but these are two of my favorite games ever.

Add me on Xbox Live: TopCat8

DKC1 is fun but DKC2 is just better in every single way. Still a great time to play through the entire trilogy, though, even though DKC3 isn't quite as great.

Around the Network

Equally because i love playing Donkey, Diddy and Dixie.

Monkeys.

mZuzek said:
Slownenberg said:
Played DKC1. A bunch of years later I bought DKC2 because I heard it was the best of the bunch but only played it a bit. But DKC1 was such a fantastic game.

Slightly off topic, but, I heard DKC Tropical Breeze was super good so I bought it a while back but it doesn't feel like it has the magic of the originals. Like it's an OK game, but I've only managed to play if for an hour or two because I play it for like 20 minutes at a time then I'm like eh whatever. That and NSMBUD both feel underwhelming. Maybe its just because indie 2D platformers have gotten so good that these classic series seem kinda boring now. Anybody think DKC Tropical Breeze really isn't that interesting? Or should I play more into it and it will get better?

Tropical Freeze's first world is pretty generic and whatever, the game gets a lot better from the second world on. Just about every level in the game has a distinct feel and theme to them, which makes them all quite memorable, but the first world misses the mark a bit even if all the levels are still unique among themselves.

ok yeah i've only played through the first world. I'll give it a go and hopefully it gets more interesting.

Runa216 said:
2 by a wide margin. 2 had better graphics, sound design, level design, theming, bonus stages, more to do, was longer, had more varied design aspects, (So much so that now I wanna play it again.)

I think the real fight is between 2 and 3. I say that because 2 had the better theme, art direction, and sound, while I thought 3 had better level design, more to do, and all the aspects where it lost to 2, it still did astoundingly well. 2 and 3 are equal to me, but I still think 2 is the most memorable due to the pirate theme.

Yeah, DKC3 has great gameplay design actually. I kinda forget bc of the odd choice of art direction. I've just never understood it! I guess nothing screams adventure like.. french Canada...?

DKC2 because Diddy Kong deserves it. Also the music is beautiful (DKC is too, just prefer the second.)

I gotta go with DKC2 as well. 

While they're tied in terms of graphics and soundtrack for me, the gameplay of 2 just feels more in-depth with the secret world, improved animal buddies, and additional moves and abilities, plus I preferred playing as Dixie over Donkey.

Both are amazing games though that I still play regularly to this day.