By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country 1 vs 2

I think the best is...

Donkey Kong Country 12 32.43%

Donkey Kong Country 2 25 67.57%

Total:37
Jumpin said:
Slownenberg said:
Played DKC1. A bunch of years later I bought DKC2 because I heard it was the best of the bunch but only played it a bit. But DKC1 was such a fantastic game.

Slightly off topic, but, I heard DKC Tropical Breeze was super good so I bought it a while back but it doesn't feel like it has the magic of the originals. Like it's an OK game, but I've only managed to play if for an hour or two because I play it for like 20 minutes at a time then I'm like eh whatever. That and NSMBUD both feel underwhelming. Maybe its just because indie 2D platformers have gotten so good that these classic series seem kinda boring now. Anybody think DKC Tropical Breeze really isn't that interesting? Or should I play more into it and it will get better?

That's how I felt about DKC Returns and the NSMB games as well. I recognize the advancements over the original games, but I find the later games lack the magic of the older ones. The DKC trilogy and Super Mario Bros 3 do possess something special. I found the same thing with the original Ducktales and the remake, the remake is just not as enjoyable.

If I had to pinpoint one thing the Rare DKC games do better, I'd say atmosphere; both the music and visuals have a darker, moodier tone.

On the other hand I do like the more interactive and dynamic environments of Retro's games so for me they balance out.

Around the Network

2 by a looooooooong way. It's my second favourite 2D platformer ever after Super Mario Land 2.

Jumpin said:
Slownenberg said:
Played DKC1. A bunch of years later I bought DKC2 because I heard it was the best of the bunch but only played it a bit. But DKC1 was such a fantastic game.

Slightly off topic, but, I heard DKC Tropical Breeze was super good so I bought it a while back but it doesn't feel like it has the magic of the originals. Like it's an OK game, but I've only managed to play if for an hour or two because I play it for like 20 minutes at a time then I'm like eh whatever. That and NSMBUD both feel underwhelming. Maybe its just because indie 2D platformers have gotten so good that these classic series seem kinda boring now. Anybody think DKC Tropical Breeze really isn't that interesting? Or should I play more into it and it will get better?

That's how I felt about DKC Returns and the NSMB games as well. I recognize the advancements over the original games, but I find the later games lack the magic of the older ones. The DKC trilogy and Super Mario Bros 3 do possess something special. I found the same thing with the original Ducktales and the remake, the remake is just not as enjoyable.

I just started playing World 2 in Tropical Freeze and it does seem like the game is getting more interesting. So I'll give it more of a chance.

I find the NSMB games to be super fun multiplayer, but just so-so single player. I went played some NBMBUD and then switched immediately over to SMB3 on Switch Online and noticed the huge difference in control. The "New" series is so loose in controls, while the old school original 2D mario games were very precise. I think that could definitely be part of why the "New" series doesn't play as well. By the end of NSMBUD I liked it better than I did early on, but by far the most fun I had was the one time I played it two-player and had a blast. I'd say NSMB are mediocre Mario games but fun multiplayer games.

Anyways hoping DKC:TF continues to get better.

Edit: haha just realized I had been calling it Tropical Breeze. I don't even know the name of the damn game!

Slownenberg said:
Jumpin said:

I just started playing World 2 in Tropical Freeze and it does seem like the game is getting more interesting. So I'll give it more of a chance.

I find the NSMB games to be super fun multiplayer, but just so-so single player. I went played some NBMBUD and then switched immediately over to SMB3 on Switch Online and noticed the huge difference in control. The "New" series is so loose in controls, while the old school original 2D mario games were very precise. I think that could definitely be part of why the "New" series doesn't play as well. By the end of NSMBUD I liked it better than I did early on, but by far the most fun I had was the one time I played it two-player and had a blast. I'd say NSMB are mediocre Mario games but fun multiplayer games.

Anyways hoping DKC:TF continues to get better.

Edit: haha just realized I had been calling it Tropical Breeze. I don't even know the name of the damn game!

It really, really does get better. I felt the controls were a LITTLE wonky (That's another thing I Felt the SNES games did much better), and the game is hard as hell, but it's genuinely great. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Well, looks like DKC2 takes this with ease.

Regarding Tropical Freeze, I second what others have said that it (generally) gets better as it goes, and is a different league to the NSMB series in terms of variety, depth, and feeling like it was made with love and care instead of just a dispassionate money grab.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Well, looks like DKC2 takes this with ease.

Regarding Tropical Freeze, I second what others have said that it (generally) gets better as it goes, and is a different league to the NSMB series in terms of variety, depth, and feeling like it was made with love and care instead of just a dispassionate money grab.

Game Makers Toolkit and a few other YouTubers go into greater depth about what makes Tropical freeze so good: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHcE6B4OP4

This shows just how absolutely brilliant DKC is in this case, and why I was not hesitant to buy it a second time on switch and actually go for 100% this time. Absolutely love this game, and it deserves SO much more love than it got. I still prefer the SNES trilogy, but as I mentioned, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

While DKC2 is unquestionably my favourite of the series, I find it almost impossible to rank the rest, they're all so closely matched in awesomeness.

mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

While DKC2 is unquestionably my favourite of the series, I find it almost impossible to rank the rest, they're all so closely matched in awesomeness.

DKC2 ain't the best, though

It is for me. Most consistently excellent of the 5 across the board. More ambitious and atmospheric than DKCR and TF, more variety and depth than DKC1, better score and character combo than DKC3.

mZuzek said:
Runa216 said:

Game Makers Toolkit and a few other YouTubers go into greater depth about what makes Tropical freeze so good: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHcE6B4OP4

With the right video, you can make any argument. I mean, that Gamespot reviewer really succeeded at making the game look mediocre to anyone who hasn't played it.

But yeah, Tropical Freeze is awesome. My favorite platformer quite easily.

uh yeah, that's how arguments work. you make a claim and back it up with evidence and examples. this video does precisely that, explaining in very acute detail what makes the game's level design stick out and as a result why it's so good. 

And Gamespot sucks, most of the time. the big media outlets outside of Eurogamer are all pretty trashy. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
mZuzek said:

With the right video, you can make any argument. I mean, that Gamespot reviewer really succeeded at making the game look mediocre to anyone who hasn't played it.

But yeah, Tropical Freeze is awesome. My favorite platformer quite easily.

uh yeah, that's how arguments work. you make a claim and back it up with evidence and examples. this video does precisely that, explaining in very acute detail what makes the game's level design stick out and as a result why it's so good. 

And Gamespot sucks, most of the time. the big media outlets outside of Eurogamer are all pretty trashy. 

That was a great video, made me want to boot up DKC:TF again. I think the fruit processing world has to be the best thematic level design ever.

Signature goes here!