By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Donkey Kong Country 1 vs 2

I think the best is...

Donkey Kong Country 12 32.43%

Donkey Kong Country 2 25 67.57%

Total:37

All this talk is making me want to play Tropical Freeze. I own it on the Wii U, and have not touched it yet. Even though DKC1-3 and DKCR are some of my favorite platformers ever, my backlog is just too big. I'll get there eventually.

As for ranking them, that is so tough. DKC3 is probably a half step below DKC1 and 2 for me. DKC2 had a lot of great additions, but I also give DKC1 a lot of credit for being the first in the franchise. So they are pretty neck and neck for me. DKCR is great too, but with it being a much more modern platformer, I find it kind of hard to compare to the first 3 games.

In the last Top 50 I made, I have DKC at 10, DKC2 at 11, DKC3 at 22, and DKCR at 29.  But in previous years I had DKCR between DKC2 and 3.  So it just depends on how I am feeling that day.

Last edited by theRepublic - on 14 May 2020

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

The original DKC for me. 100% because of nostalgia though. Will admit that DKC2 is probably the better game.

TruckOSaurus said:
Runa216 said:

uh yeah, that's how arguments work. you make a claim and back it up with evidence and examples. this video does precisely that, explaining in very acute detail what makes the game's level design stick out and as a result why it's so good. 

And Gamespot sucks, most of the time. the big media outlets outside of Eurogamer are all pretty trashy. 

That was a great video, made me want to boot up DKC:TF again. I think the fruit processing world has to be the best thematic level design ever.

When the game first came out on WiiU, I bought it and beat it but gave up soon thereafter. something about it just wasn't sticking with me. the levels were suuuuuper long, the game was way harder than it needed to be, and while the controls were worlds better than Returns, they still weren't GREAT like the SNES games. It was the first DKC game I didn't get 100% on within a month of buying. 

then all the talk about the rerelease came out, and I got a weird motivation to pick it up again. that video was what made me reconsider my opinions on the game. I bought it on Switch, I paid more attention to the game's design, and I guess it worked on me because now it's one of my all-time favourite games and I feel it's one of the best designed platformers of all time. 

Just talking about it and sharing that video makes me wanna play it again. Too bad there's no online co op.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

mZuzek said:
theRepublic said:

All this talk is making me want to play Tropical Freeze. I own it on the Wii U, and have not touched it yet.

Is that legal?

Man, you don't want to know all the great games I have sitting around unplayed.  The whole list is probably a little embarrassing.  My wife was thinking about getting me a Switch last Christmas, and she decided not to specifically because I have so many games I need to play.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

mZuzek said:
theRepublic said:

All this talk is making me want to play Tropical Freeze. I own it on the Wii U, and have not touched it yet.

Is that legal?

No. a SWAT team will be apprehending him soon for this dire transgression.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
mZuzek said:

Is that legal?

Man, you don't want to know all the great games I have sitting around unplayed.  The whole list is probably a little embarrassing.  My wife was thinking about getting me a Switch last Christmas, and she decided not to specifically because I have so many games I need to play.

I'm in a similar boat. this quarantine/Pandemic has low-key been a blessing for me. No money to buy games, plenty of reason to play old games on my todo list.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
theRepublic said:

I'm in a similar boat. this quarantine/Pandemic has low-key been a blessing for me. No money to buy games, plenty of reason to play old games on my todo list.

I have to work remotely from home.  I have been getting in a little extra game time, but that has mostly been going to Borderlands 2 with my brother and a friend from college.  Most of my single player games have still been sitting unplayed.

I probably also waste too much time with Yugioh Duel Links.

Now Playing

mZuzek said:
theRepublic said:

Is that legal?

Also got a copy on Wii U and haven't passed the first level... Hahaha

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
mZuzek said:

Is that legal?

Also got a copy on Wii U and haven't passed the first level... Hahaha

Trust me, fix that. It is as good as everyone is saying.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX