By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Should The Xbox Controller finally incorporate a motion sensor?

Currently playing around with the gyro in the PS4 control for aiming and its literally night and day. It should be the standard and I'm not quite sure why many games don't even feature it as an option.



Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Well Sony has already been doing gyro features, but is it a feature people say they care about? Honestly, I've been annoyed by games that forcing it in, it just made some Vita games worse.

I really don't care if its there or not. But I think its something Sony has to keep offering for BC reasons.

I think its more because their own Worldwide Studios seem to like using it. Hence its used a bit more often in first party games. Particularly anything from PixelOpus, SuperMassive, Quantic Dream and Japan Studio. Sony's games tend to come more from European and Japanese developers, and those types of studios are a bit more willing to experiment with control inputs, as opposed to the largely American developers that make up Xbox Game Studios. 



A feature I didn't really appreciate as much lately, I found myself loving the feature (gyro aiming) in Switch games and really missing the feature in games that didn't include it--especially when I go back to the Xbox One.

And on that note, the Switch needs analog triggers. Driving in Switch games is terrible.



Twitter: @d21lewis

TheMisterManGuy said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Well Sony has already been doing gyro features, but is it a feature people say they care about? Honestly, I've been annoyed by games that forcing it in, it just made some Vita games worse.

I really don't care if its there or not. But I think its something Sony has to keep offering for BC reasons.

I think its more because their own Worldwide Studios seem to like using it. Hence its used a bit more often in first party games. Particularly anything from PixelOpus, SuperMassive, Quantic Dream and Japan Studio. Sony's games tend to come more from European and Japanese developers, and those types of studios are a bit more willing to experiment with control inputs, as opposed to the largely American developers that make up Xbox Game Studios. 

Perhaps, but relatively speaking few studios bother using it regardless of where the studio is.

Most Sony games could simply use it for aiming and moving the camera, but they don't bother. I just don't think demand is significant.



Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Well Sony has already been doing gyro features, but is it a feature people say they care about? Honestly, I've been annoyed by games that forcing it in, it just made some Vita games worse.

I really don't care if its there or not. But I think its something Sony has to keep offering for BC reasons.

I second this. Gravity Rush almost made me throw my Vita out a window, trying to complete all the time challenges.



Around the Network

Not really needed. Playstation have it since PS3 start and didn't do much except some specific games forcing it to showcase it exist. But yes they can add without making the control worse.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mr Puggsly said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

I think its more because their own Worldwide Studios seem to like using it. Hence its used a bit more often in first party games. Particularly anything from PixelOpus, SuperMassive, Quantic Dream and Japan Studio. Sony's games tend to come more from European and Japanese developers, and those types of studios are a bit more willing to experiment with control inputs, as opposed to the largely American developers that make up Xbox Game Studios. 

Most Sony games could simply use it for aiming and moving the camera, but they don't bother. I just don't think demand is significant.

I'd say with Sony, it's a bit inconsistent. Like You can use the Gyro sensor in games like Dreams, Infamous, and Days Gone. But not in Horizon: Zero Dawn, a game that really would benefit from that option? It might just depend on the studio, But Sony really does need to encourage more use of these controller features, across all its first party devs. Say what you will about Nintendo games having "gimmicks" in them. At least most of their games make consistent use of the hardware. 



A what? Like... Kinect? Nah, that's garbage. Don't want crap like that which will probably just make the controller more expensive. Would much rather have a cheap, reliable controller with good battery life *glares at Sony*.



d21lewis said:
*snip*...

And on that note, the Switch needs analog triggers. Driving in Switch games is terrible.

If the game allows it, set acceleration and braking to the right thumbstick and you got analog input for it. 



Spindel said:
d21lewis said:
*snip*...

And on that note, the Switch needs analog triggers. Driving in Switch games is terrible.

If the game allows it, set acceleration and braking to the right thumbstick and you got analog input for it. 

Use a thumbstick to accelerate? Like some kind of serial killer!?



Twitter: @d21lewis